Thread: Going out house rock rd?

Going out house rock rd?

I know that the condition of this road isn't in the best of shape but I want to take a two wheel drive van out to the lone tree parking so that I can hike to the paw holes this next week maybe on tues, wed 18th 19th and would love to hear how this road is without a 4x4. I have talked to the BLM people here in St George and they don't know to much but warn me to be careful, I just would like to hear from some the people here that have been out there and have a better idea.
    I'm forewarned so will not go if things are bad I understand that its about 14 miles to lone tree and another 2.5 mile hike to Paw Hole....
    Thanks for any help
    Lynn

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

When I was there in early December it was okay but not great coming from the north. On the south it was smooth sailing all the way. The road coming from the south all the way up to the state line seems like it would take an awful lot to mess it up. I would recommend going that way if you're concerned.

I don't understand coming from the south, I would be coming from Kanab? I would consider that coming from the north (right?) so how do you come from the south...
    Lynn

House Rock Road connects Hwy 89 in Utah to Hwy 89A in Arizona. The southern half of the road is much more open and smooth than the top half. It's just a little longer on pavement to get there. Map:

I'll be darned.... looks long but maybe the same as the other way... and you said that it was ok,doky??
    Thanks

Gonna hijack another thread regarding my trip to the Wave.... if the road in from the north is rough (we'll be coming from Page), would it be worth going south to get to Kanab after visiting CBN?

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn Ross View Post
    I'll be darned.... looks long but maybe the same as the other way... and you said that it was ok,doky??
    Thanks
    I can only comment on how it was on December 13th at which time I could go about 45 mph on most of it. But yeah, I'd bet it should be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by jdgibney View Post
    Gonna hijack another thread regarding my trip to the Wave.... if the road in from the north is rough (we'll be coming from Page), would it be worth going south to get to Kanab after visiting CBN?
    Maybe. If I were in a 4WD vehicle I would still go north, hell, even if I was way down at the Lone Tree or Pine Tree turnoffs I would still go north. The reason we went south was because my friend was puking his guts out and the dirt road was killing him. The thing that makes the south end suck is that the dirt roads are easy but the paved road winds up through some high elevation forest, it's not a wide open cruiser like the highway on the north end, but it is very scenic. In fact, coming off of the mountain offered an awesome view of the Grand Staircase in a way that actually makes it look like a huge staircase. Might be worth it just to see something new if the weather is good. If it were stormy out it would really suck, snow for sure. But I guess if it's stormy out you might not be on House Rock either.

At Lone Tree you should be able to drive about a 1/2 mile up the track before it gets prohibitively sandy thus leaving you with a 2 mile hike to Paw Paw.

Kanab BLM Ranger Report

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn Ross View Post
    I know that the condition of this road isn't in the best of shape but I want to take a two wheel drive van out to the lone tree parking so that I can hike to the paw holes this next week maybe on tues, wed 18th 19th and would love to hear how this road is without a 4x4. I have talked to the BLM people here in St George and they don't know to much but warn me to be careful, I just would like to hear from some the people here that have been out there and have a better idea.
    I'm forewarned so will not go if things are bad I understand that its about 14 miles to lone tree and another 2.5 mile hike to Paw Hole....
    Thanks for any help
    Lynn
    I called the Kanab BLM office Friday (1/14/2011) asking about conditions on House Rock Valley Road. She indicated that high clearance 4X4 was recommended as the clay soil was not drying out due to the nighttime freezing and daytime thawing, making the road slick and muddy. She did indicate that driving in the AM was OK as the road would be frozen over but getting back in the afternoon would be slick.

She also indicated that the weather was warming up next week (50's/30's in Kanab) which may help dry up the road some.

ganphx,
    Thanks for your reply and since I would be staying in the van for the night might be able to get out the next morning but I'm still concerned about the roughness of the road from the slipping a sliding that those that have been before me would have done, and the weather looks promising for next week but then it's a holiday and more than the usual crowd would be traveling the road. I'll keep my fingers x'ed ...
    Lynn

We picked two good days on visiting Coyote Buttes South and North this past week. On Tues, the BLM ranger indicated that on 1/17 House Rock Valley Road was muddy due to the thawing (afternoon temps in the 60's) and that three vehicles had to be towed out that day.

A cold front did come through dropping temps down into the high 40's during the day. The bad section between Buckskin and Wire Pass was frozen over making the drive easy in the afternoon. I would still recommend high-clearance 4x4 as there is a steep dip entering the wash just before Buckskin.

Thanks for the road report... we're heading down Tuesday morning, hoping there won't be any issues... renting a standard sized suv this evening if I ever get to vegas - hour and a half delay in Memphis totalling a 3.5 hr layover.... fun! Can't wait to get out there

Quote Originally Posted by jdgibney View Post
    Thanks for the road report... we're heading down Tuesday morning, hoping there won't be any issues... renting a standard sized suv this evening if I ever get to vegas - hour and a half delay in Memphis totalling a 3.5 hr layover.... fun! Can't wait to get out there
    see you there! We hope to be there early, be there in the White Tacoma that says DIRTNUT. Hope it isn't MUDNUT tomorrow. Or maybe I do

When I picked up my permit this morning 1/24 the BLM told me that the road was dry but had deep ruts in it from people getting stuck. I stopped and checked it out on the way to Page and it was dry. They also advised me not to try and get back to Paw Hole with a long wheelbase truck, I drive a full size 4x4 pickup by myself.

Thanks Dayhiker!
    Wes, I think we'll be down there around 8ish in a black chevy equinox w/ Washington plates (rental) Ran into a dude at Horseshoe bend tonight who's also going, so we'll probably have a trio of newbs down there wandering around somewhat aimlessly :)