Thread: Ever dropped your phone, camera, etc... in water?

Bogley BigShot

Ever dropped your phone, camera, etc... in water?

Even if a wet cellphone seems dead, there's a good chance it can be resuscitated. Just make sure you act fast--the longer the water sits inside, the greater the likelihood it will destroy the phone for good.

This is a DIY moment. While consumers are conditioned to send back broken merchandise, your phone's warranty probably doesn't cover water damage. And you may not have much luck pulling a fast one on your phone company--most of today's phones come with a "water sticker" that permanently changes color if it gets wet.

The first step: Immediately cut the power by removing the battery. I know it's tempting, but resist the urge to power up your phone to see if it works--just turning it on can short out the circuits. If you have a GSM phone (the type used by AT&T and T-Mobile), you'll want to remove the SIM card as well. Even if your phone turns out to be beyond repair, the SIM should retain a lot of its onboard information, such as the contacts in your phone book.

more
    http://www.popularmechanics.com/tech...o/tips/4269047

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by tanya View Post
    Even if a wet cellphone seems dead, there's a good chance it can be resuscitated. Just make sure you act fast--the longer the water sits inside, the greater the likelihood it will destroy the phone for good.

This is a DIY moment. While consumers are conditioned to send back broken merchandise, your phone's warranty probably doesn't cover water damage. And you may not have much luck pulling a fast one on your phone company--most of today's phones come with a "water sticker" that permanently changes color if it gets wet.

The first step: Immediately cut the power by removing the battery. I know it's tempting, but resist the urge to power up your phone to see if it works--just turning it on can short out the circuits. If you have a GSM phone (the type used by AT&T and T-Mobile), you'll want to remove the SIM card as well. Even if your phone turns out to be beyond repair, the SIM should retain a lot of its onboard information, such as the contacts in your phone book.

more
    http://www.popularmechanics.com/tech...o/tips/4269047
    My brother saved his blackberry by putting it in rice and I think he was thrown in the pool with it, something silly like that...

I love the illustrations, especially the 'don't microwave your cell phone EVER'

I lost my first ever cell phone to a glass of pepsi, OOPS!

Blog Entries
    I once dropped my iPhone 3GS in a river while exploring Farmington canyon. And I didn't realize it fell in until I crossed the stream! I went back on got it and it still worked, as in, it was on and wasn't displaying funky text or whatever. I immediately turned it off and left it outside on my deck for 2 days straight in the direct sunlight. After that, I resummerged it in denatured alcohol (dry the remaining water in the phone) and let it sit for another day in the sunlight. Turned it back on and no problems. 2 years later, the exact same phone is still working just fine (even as I type this on my 3GS)!
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

i submerged my phone once while retrieving a jetski that got away from someone on the colorado river at bullhead. i just waded out waist deep in the river and totally forgot it was in my pocket. pulled the battery and sim, put it on top of the water heater for 3 days and it is still working. this was 4 years ago.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

Stepped into a hot tub with mine. Immediately stepped out, pulled the battery, and went without it for a couple of weeks. I only got another 6-8 months out of it before the speaker/ringer or the chip driving it failed. It wasn't so bad not knowing somebody was calling though. Kind of peaceful actually.
    seen all good people turn their heads each day so satisfied I'm on my way...

I have had a couple phones that were allergic to asphalt. My daughter dropped my iPhone 3GS and I dropped my iPhone 4, both shattered the glass. Whoops.

Put my phone through the clothes washer.... It was revived via the rice method.... It had a few quirks, but worked adequately until it was replaced.....

lost one to Lake Powell, one to an irrigation ditch, and one to a front end loader tire rofl sure was flat !! none were saved

I dropped my camera in the Yellowstone River while on a fishing trip. I yanked it out and imediately pulled the battery and SD card from it. Then I wiped off any water and wrapped it in my micro fleece jacket and left it until I got home the next day. Luckily it was on the last day before we left so I didn't miss too many shots... When I got home I took the shell off of the camera and dabbed up any water I could see and then left a fan blowing on it on low for 24+ hours to dry it. When I put the battery back in and it powered up and saw that it was working I was ecstatic as I couldn't imagine going through fall without a camera! That was over 1.5 years ago and it's still working!
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn

Back in the days of film, I dropped a nice Nikon in the Oregon surf. Took about a tenth of a second to destroy the camera. The insurance company was pretty good about it although they spent weeks trying to find a replacement that would cost $10 less than the one from my local camera shop. I finally got the camera I wanted and took a check from the insurance.

Cheers,
    Pathfinder

I was leaving Raging Waters once when I saw a little kid laying on the bottom of the pool. I jumped in and pulled him out. He came to after coughing up some water. My phone was ok when I did the rice trick.
    Let's Roll

Dropped my PalmPilot in the ocean surf on Kauai. It was fried before I could reach for it.
    Dropped my 120GB IPod off the top of a railcar in wet sulfite -20feet- dented one side. never even turned off. THEN, I dropped it stepping out of my truck at work in the parking lot...in November. Never found it. LAST WEEK I got a call from one of the secretaries that they'd found an IPod encased in ice and brought it in to thaw...plugged it in to a docking station and it fired right up. checked settings and found me. I am listening to it as we speak.

Apple rules!