Thread: Roger Arhart's Condition

Roger Arhart's Condition

I wanted to post a short note on Roger's condition, to let his friends know how things are going.

Roger is moving into the final stages of ALS. His decline appears to be fairly rapid now. He is home with his family, and receiving hospice care, including medications to help relieve the discomfort and anxiety he has been experiencing. Unfortunately, he is no longer well enough for visitors. Because of the nature of ALS, it's very hard to say how much time he has left.

Right now, Jane is very focused on Roger and their two kids (I say kids, although they are grown adults). The past few days have been pretty rough, but she is getting wonderful support from family and friends, from the hospice care nurses, and especially from her two kids.

I'm acting as a point of contact for the time being, so if you have any questions, or want to pass a message on to Jane, please feel free to drop me a line, and I can send things along.

Deborah Davis
    Deb

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Thanks for posting this Deb
    I count myself as one of the ones, lucky enough to share a canyon with Roger and Jane. We did a boundary yo-yo ascend fest. Roger had it all dialed in before we got there, his organization got us down and back up in around 4 hours(Wish I had Rams memory) I have other fond memories with them from Moab a couple of years ago.
    There enthusiasm for people and canyoneering is very special.
    I will always treasure the time I have shared with them.

Kurt Sparenberg

Thank you, Deb. I met Roger, Jane and Steven once, the very first time I met up with folks from the "canyoneering community". Sandthrax, October 2007. (First time I met you, too, Deb, and many others...) We didn't do a canyon together, but shared a campfire and camaraderie. I felt immensely and immediately welcome. I was greatly impressed by the hospitality of everyone, and the incredible positivity and infectious joie de vivre of the Arhart family in particular. (I was also impressed by Steven's dedication to his homework, spending hours studying in the truck while everyone else hung out by the fire.)

I count myself very fortunate to have met Roger, even on only one occasion. I wish the entire Arhart family the best, and hope that their final days with Roger are as peaceful and positive as they can be under the circumstances.

Please feel free to pass along as much or as little as is fitting of what I've said - even if it's just that I, among many others, am thinking of them. Thanks again, Deb.

Kevin Swanson

That really sucks.... I'm amazed at how fast ALS knocks you down.

I would always look at Roger when we were doing canyons and think 'no one is having more fun today than Roger'. Roger and Jane were always great to do things with. I wish them the best.

Name:  roger1..jpg
Views: 905
Size:  111.7 KB

Name:  roger3..jpg
Views: 883
Size:  50.3 KB

Name:  roger2..jpg
Views: 898
Size:  79.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    I would always look at Roger when we were doing canyons and think 'no one is having more fun today than Roger'. Roger and Jane were always great to do things with. I wish them the best.
    Ditto that.

Long live the Arhart "Happy Hour"!

Deb, thanks for keeping us posted on what's happening. And, please let Jane know, that if she needs anything, to let us know.

Heavy sigh...

Couple of shots, I think Greg took these when we did Boundary.
    I like his shirt
    Attached Images Attached Images   

I am very sorry to say that Roger died today.

According to Jane's sister, his last days were quiet and peaceful and in the presence of Jane, Megan and Steve, his mother, Vi, and brother, Jeff, and sister-in-law, Mary.

There will be a visitation time of honor and memory on Saturday, January 22 at 6pm at Starks Funeral Home, 3651 S 900 E, SLC. The telephone number is 801-474-9119. An obituary will appear in the Salt Lake Tribune. Jane, Megan, and Steve look forward to seeing all of you at that time.

Once again Jane wants all of you to know how much your love and help has meant to them during these last weeks.

Deborah

Deb

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Thanks Deb.

Tom

So sorry to hear it. Amazing how fast ALS progresses - what a devastating disease. Thanks for the note...

Kev

Sorry. :-(
    Some people "go" through life and other people "grow" through life. -Robert Holden

Very sorry to hear this.
    Thanks Deb, for keeping us informed.
    My sincere condolences to all of the Arhart family and friends.

Bogley BigShot
    My first husband died of this. It's a horrible disease. So sad to watch a strong healthy man fall from this.

Name:  roger france..jpg
Views: 781
Size:  193.5 KB

Roger holding court in Lans-en-Vercors France at happy hour.

Name:  roger pissarde..jpg
Views: 787
Size:  170.7 KB

Roger and son Steve trying to figure out the rope shred post Pissarde canyon in France.

Name:  roger vercors..jpg
Views: 777
Size:  199.4 KB

Roger with the Czech and Brazil gang in France.

Name:  roger..jpg
Views: 783
Size:  389.1 KB

Roger waiting to drop into a canyon on Crete, Greece.

Long live happy hour!

Godspeed

Roger was one of the good guys.

Deb, thanks for keeping us informed.

It's wonderful that Roger had so much support and love given from an obviously great family, and friends that were able to share the experience with a person that took gusto in living. My condolences to those that loved and lived alongside a beautiful person.

Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Beck View Post
    It's wonderful that Roger had so much support and love given from an obviously great family, and friends that were able to share the experience with a person that took gusto in living. My condolences to those that loved and lived alongside a beautiful person.
    X2 and well said. I did not know Roger but met him once. Seemed like a wonderful man. Sad....
    Life is Good

For those interested.... Rogers obituary is in today's Salt lake Tribune.

The family invites friends to celebrate Roger's life between the hours of 6 and 8 p.m. on Saturday, January 22nd at Starks Funeral Parlor, 3651 S. 900 East, Salt Lake City.

I too was lucky enough to share Canyon's with Roger, Jane, and Steven in Utah, and Washington. Skiing the backcountry of the Wasatch Range laying down 8's in beautiful Utah High Country & Powder. Alway's a Great Time. An Awsome Canyoneer, Skier, and Person. The world has lost a Great Man. My Thoughts and Prayers are with the Arhart Family.
    Bob Madsen

Party in remembrance of Roger at Jane Bowmans at 8pm. For directions see the Xmas thread.