Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GoPro HD Vs Oregon Scientific ATC Action Cam?

GoPro HD Vs Oregon Scientific ATC Action Cam?

Seen a lot of people using the GoPro HD Helmet cams and from everything I've seen they're the best on the market right now.

Oregon Scientific (who I typically associate with marginal equipment) showed off their new HD camera at CES. http://us.oregonscientific.com/cat-O...BSD-Cards.html

Anyone ever seen or had any experience with these? The price is the same except the ATC Cam comes with 2 free 2gb memory cards. The unit looks to be a bit bulkier but it also has a built in viewing screen.

It's at least another option which is a great thing!
    -------
    Jeff

"Be who you are, say what you feel.
    Because those that mind don't matter and,
    those that matter don't mind"

~Dr. Suess~

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The LCD is a plus on the ATC9K, but you'd really have to see the footage side by side to make the final judgement.

You'll get more mounting options with GoPro which has already paid off for me in a matter of weeks.

The GoPro has the 170

I agree it's all about results. As a biased go pro user it's by far the best I have ever used or seen. It's a very well rounded setup especially for the price.

the gopro is the "standard" for pretty much all POV shots nowadays. nothing else compares. but it does have some issues, namely the jello effect because of the sensor, and the terrible low light performance.

however, there are some things on the ATC that immediately stick out, and they suck. 1 - microSD. way more expensive and less available. stupid move. less waterproof, possibly less shockproof. go pro is virtually indestructible. gopro has tons of accessories, batteries, mount options.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    The LCD is a plus on the ATC9K
    +1

[QUOTE=Sombeech;427923]The GoPro has the 170

All great points, I was looking at the go pro as a summer purchase and found the ATC thumbing through the CES info. I guess we'll have to wait to see some true video shot side by side. I'm still leaning heavily towards the go pro, hopefully when I'm ready to buy, I'll have a good comparison.
    -------
    Jeff

"Be who you are, say what you feel.
    Because those that mind don't matter and,
    those that matter don't mind"

~Dr. Suess~

I was thinking if I wanted to get around the LCD thing on the GoPro, I could do the Mini SD into the adapter, film on that, and then check out the footage on my phone by putting the mini SD in. But... I'm not worried enough about that exact footage scope that I'm willing to go out and do that. I've been satisfied with what shows up in the frame so far.

As far as the light sensitivity on the GoPro, there are a few different lens films that you can stick on the front, but I haven't looked into it much. Not even sure if they're made by GoPro.

Plus.... the GoPro camera itself is only around $230. It's the mounting packages that get you around $299.

Like so:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B0030ZESEQ

and the ATC9K:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B004BDOLJI

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    As far as the light sensitivity on the GoPro, there are a few different lens films that you can stick on the front, but I haven't looked into it much .
    i'm not sure what you mean...

This has Bluetooth to your smartphone so you can use it as an LCD and gives you GPS location, speed, altitude, and will add this to a google maps set up in their software online.

http://contour.com/camera/contour_gps

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs View Post
    i'm not sure what you mean...
    I think Mark had a film that you stick over the lens for instance that gave it a polarized lens.

hmm.. interesting.

there are a couple of issues with that which i would think would degrade image quality, but i've never heard of it. of course, putting anything in front of the lens will make low light performance even worse, which is my main beef with the camera...

gotta check this out i guess.

They are out there, all sorts of len filter that help with this, the link in the other gopro review has them. Gopro is also set up with the expansion port which they are set to release a bunch of new add ons soon such as an lcd screen, additional battery etc. There are some sweet accesories out there.

Two wheels are better than four, keep the rubber side down.

just checked 'em out. looks like ND and polarizing filters. makes sense for shooting in really bright light. however, i spend most of my time in dark places, so they are obviously of little value. cool add on though.

here is another link from a pretty cool site that has some new housings also http://www.eyeofmine.com/gopro/order-gopro-hero.html

I belive they have some for low light improvements also, don't quote me on it but let me take a look at a couple different places I was reading about them.

i don't see how that is physically possible... any filter will cost you light. it's impossible to have a filter add light (which is the only way to improve low light performance. more light has to hit the sensor)

i don't see how that is physically possible... any filter will cost you light. it's impossible to have a filter add light (which is the only way to improve low light performance. more light has to hit the sensor)
    I heard you were a liar

unless the filter you add increases light sensitivity but like I said in my post, don't quote me, I said low light improvements, there are many people who use filters for night shots to improve the shot and get the desired effect which couldn't be achieved without a filter. How about this filter..(from the good old web cause I have no clue about that shit)
    The 81-series are the best choice and will give your images an extra bit of life. An 81A warm-up filter is ideal to use in adding extra warmth to low light images.. all I said was improve, sometimes the moon is pretty damn bright... LOL

I know nothing about photograpy, nor ever claimed to..hence the don't quote me on this one, I have just been reading every page possible to try to find out the best add ons and tips for the gopro, I think the flat lense underwater housing actually looks pretty cool for some snorkeling and scuba. I did see the polarized filters for the lense and would love to see a side by side, and also any idea if they are permanent or what? Anyone

the 81 series filters are warm up filters used to correct color balances, most typically used on film cameras because a color balance is tied to the type of film (unlike digital cameras, which you can adjust the white balance to whatever temperature you'd like).

a filter, by it's very definition filters light, such as changing a color cast, polarizing light, cutting the light etc... all are benefits that come at the cost cost of light loss. in bright situations, there is plenty of light to spare, so filtering the light to make it more optimum for the sensor is possible. however, in low light, you can't afford to filter any of it. alas, it is not the optics that struggle in low light, it is the electrical sensors gathering the light, and converting it to a digital image. when a camera struggles in low light, it is because the sensor is not sensitive enough. if there isn't enough light, the sensor produces lots of mud, lack of detail, bad contrast, and worst - noise. creating light without a light source is simply not possible. filters FILTER light, not add light. creating a filter that increased light sensitivity would be to photography what cold fusion would be to power generation.

as for the gopro filters being removable, yes they are. not sure how they are mounted, but they are removable or replaceable, according to the few i looked at.

the 81 series filters are warm up filters used to correct color balances, most typically used on film cameras because a color balance is tied to the type of film (unlike digital cameras, which you can adjust the white balance to whatever temperature you'd like).

a filter, by it's very definition filters light, such as changing a color cast, polarizing light, cutting the light etc... all are benefits that come at the cost cost of light loss. in bright situations, there is plenty of light to spare, so filtering the light to make it more optimum for the sensor is possible. however, in low light, you can't afford to filter any of it. alas, it is not the optics that struggle in low light, it is the electrical sensors gathering the light, and converting it to a digital image. when a camera struggles in low light, it is because the sensor is not sensitive enough. if there isn't enough light, the sensor produces lots of mud, lack of detail, bad contrast, and worst - noise. creating light without a light source is simply not possible. filters FILTER light, not add light. creating a filter that increased light sensitivity would be to photography what cold fusion would be to power generation.

as for the gopro filters being removable, yes they are. not sure how they are mounted, but they are removable or replaceable, according to the few i looked at.

Dude, chill out no need to give definitions and go all fuktarded. I understood what that filter was and read about it on the net...I was good. I get it your the pro with anything to do with this, next time I will make sure I post that you shouldn't quote me on it and I am not trying to say
    it is a fact. I also understand definitions of words, but it always help to beat the dead horse for you. THANK YOU for your help!