Thread: Parunuweap hike in Feb.

Parunuweap hike in Feb.

My wife and I would like to take the day hike from checkerboard mesa to the East Virgin River and the Powell Plaque in the middle of Feb. My question is does anyone know the approximate depth of the East Virgin River if it stays near the current discharge rates.
    We would like to hike the .3 miles east (in the river) to the beginning of the slots and then return to Checkerboard mesa. I realize that there has just been some major flooding and it may have changed, but we would just like to know averages. Thank you for any info that you can pass on to us.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by rjtmmt View Post
    My wife and I would like to take the day hike from checkerboard mesa to the East Virgin River and the Powell Plaque in the middle of Feb. My question is does anyone know the approximate depth of the East Virgin River if it stays near the current discharge rates.
    We would like to hike the .3 miles east (in the river) to the beginning of the slots and then return to Checkerboard mesa. I realize that there has just been some major flooding and it may have changed, but we would just like to know averages. Thank you for any info that you can pass on to us.

don't know about the flow, but geez, can you say cold!!!
    Tear down Dams, Build up Dreams!

I'll say it... "COLD"!

I predict the depth of water will be the least of your concerns. I'd say you'd definitely need drysuits to stay warm and be ready for quite a bit of snow going over the saddle. The descent route into the canyon near the plaque is a fairly steep scramble and I wouldn't want to do it with snow on the ground. It does face south though so it should melt well before the saddle area. But... if snow is melting the water is likely to be higher... which is back to your original question, which I don't have an answer.

Good luck, have fun, be careful.

- Jamal

Thank you for your replies. We hiked into Subway last winter in 18" of snow and cold water and it was extremely rewarding. While it was a little "cool" in the water it was wonderful having no one else around. My problem is that I have a pair of fishing wadders that are great to hike in,but do not work well in deep water. They are also light to carry and have served me well in Alaska in some very cold water. My wet suit is old, heavy, and not very exciting to put on. Perhaps my question should have been, how deep is the East Virgin in the .3 of mile east of Powell Plaque in the summer months, or do you think that the water levels would be much different than the creek that flows through Subway. I completely understand that any ideas are complete guesses, but any info is appreciated
    Thanks again for any info

Why would he even be in the water? If he's just hiking and coming down the steep scramble then he wont even get wet. Personally i wouldnt take anything for the water. There will be snow at the top of the ridge but that is probably the only spot that'll have snow.

The steep scramble at the end of the hike drops you down onto a bank. At the end of the bank is the plaque. I'll see if i can round up some pics of when we were there last to give you an idea.

Once youre there if you decide to hike upriver to misery then you'll need some waders. Nothing more imo.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

I've taken that route twice, but both times in May. In '05, the water was silty, above my knee, moving swiftly. It was a 90 degree day. The water was cold. I cooled off, but did not venture up or downstream. In '06, the water was clear and mid calf deep. I went downstream to the cascades and returned with no difficulty walking in the river.

Cool -- sounds like you know what you are in for.

Waders will probably be fine -- I was there during spring run-off and the deepest water was still below my waist (and I probably could have avoided that if I had tried harder.) And as Nelsoncc pointed out... you can turn around at any time on this route.

Here are some pics:

The descent route:
    Name:  descent_route..jpg
Views: 274
Size:  78.5 KB

Narrows down river:
    Name:  Barracks..jpg
Views: 259
Size:  186.4 KB

Down river above the falls:
    Name:  above_barrier_fal&.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  88.5 KB

Up river near Misery:
    Name:  near_misery..jpg
Views: 264
Size:  107.6 KB

- Jamal

Thank you very much for the pictures. They are very helpful. I very much appreciate the feedback and the pictures help with the decision making.
    Randy