Thread: Coral Pink Sand Dunes?

Coral Pink Sand Dunes?

For our upcoming super quick trip (based around Coyote Buttes North), we decided that on our drive back from Kanab to Vegas, with our main focus spending the afternoon->Sunset in Valley of Fire, that we wanted to swing by Coral Pink Sand Dunes State Park for sunrise. We're staying in Kanab the night before... I'm wondering if a) if its worth stopping by there for a couple of hours in the morning, and if so b) how best to spend a couple of hours with a priority being on getting some good photographs. Does anyone have any advice? Thanks in advance!
    -gib

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Not sure if anyone has any advice for this quick visit, but I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about the road(s) between Coral Pink Sand Dunes and Colorado City. I had planned my drive this way, but didn't realize that a good chunk of it is dirt/sand, and am wondering if I should avoid it or go for it to get back to Las Vegas from CPSD if its wet, I'm assuming it would be unsafe to travel that way (?)
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...07274&t=h&z=12

Quote Originally Posted by jdgibney View Post
    Not sure if anyone has any advice for this quick visit, but I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about the road(s) between Coral Pink Sand Dunes and Colorado City. I had planned my drive this way, but didn't realize that a good chunk of it is dirt/sand, and am wondering if I should avoid it or go for it to get back to Las Vegas from CPSD if its wet, I'm assuming it would be unsafe to travel that way (?)
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...07274&t=h&z=12
    The road turns to dirt/sand/mud at the arizona border, just a little ways from the visitor center at Coral Pink Sand Dunes. I've driven it quite a few times when wet and also snow covered. It never was a problem. The dirt section is fairly short and it turns to asphalt soon again in Cane Beds. A good shortcut for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Beck View Post
    The road turns to dirt/sand/mud at the arizona border, just a little ways from the visitor center at Coral Pink Sand Dunes. I've driven it quite a few times when wet and also snow covered. It never was a problem. The dirt section is fairly short and it turns to asphalt soon again in Cane Beds. A good shortcut for sure.
    Awesome, thanks Bo! So I think we'll head that way unless there's an unexpected monsoon or something. Would you recommend making the stop at CPSD even if for only 2 hours or so?

Bo's right, as usual, that section of road can be done without an issue. I did it one really ugly Spring day with mud and slush without a problem. Coral Pink is a little tough in the morning but by walking around you should be able to get some good shadows on the dunes.

Win
    Quoting my best friend, Bob McNally, after a bad boating trip: "Nature scares me!"

Utah photos: www.winpics.fototime.com

Quote Originally Posted by Win View Post
    Bo's right, as usual, that section of road can be done without an issue. I did it one really ugly Spring day with mud and slush without a problem. Coral Pink is a little tough in the morning but by walking around you should be able to get some good shadows on the dunes.

Win
    Win's right, as usual, morning might be a tough sunrise, but maybe if you headed just a little ways past the VC (toward the south) and stopped you might find something for sunrise shootin'? My best shot taken was in the afternoon on the sand dunes with the shadows. Certainly worth the stop to see though!

Thanks guys for chiming in. I'm not really sure of the scale of the place, I do plan to visit for an afternoon/sunset when I spend a week around Zion/Bryce (My next trip will probably be a week centered aroudn Moab, but after that, I'll come back down to that area). Just figured since I'm driving from Kanab to Vegas, it'd be a shame not to check it out (it was on our itinerary in Sept/Oct but we axed it for time purposes...

Have also taken the cane beds shortcut several times in dry, wet, and snowy conditions without incident via 2wd rental.

Dunes are readily viewable from the highway. You may want to check out the arch just off Hancock Rd: http://www.zionnational-park.com/coral-pink-sand.htm

The Indian Canyon pictographs are definitely worth the hike, but unless you're able to drive several miles up the sandy approach track, you won't be able to get to them and back in a couple hours.

Where are the Indian Canyon Pictographs. We are planning a feb trip and we have 4-wd so I would hope we could drive the road.
    Randy

a trail description as well as photos can be found here:

http://www.zionnational-park.com/moquith-mountain.htm

There are the dinosaur tracks in the area, too. 4WD and an hour or so would get you to those. I don't have the exact beta for this, might have to take a trip out there!

Win
    Quoting my best friend, Bob McNally, after a bad boating trip: "Nature scares me!"

Utah photos: www.winpics.fototime.com

I'm definitely interested in checking out the pictographs, that'll have to be another trip where I can spend at least a full day. Thanks for the suggestions! I'll definitely swing through and see what I can do with it for the couple of hours we have of early light before heading back...

I've haven't been to this Yellowman site (cut and paste description below), but you'll be passing by the turnoff as you head to VOF from Coral Pink Sand Dunes and might want to give it a go.

Also since you'll be staying in and passing thru St George, you might want to google Little Black Mountain Petroglyph Site. Ten mile drive out of town might be worth a visit as well.

This cache replaces Yellow Man cache that was stolen. The Terrain rating is based on the last 50-75 yards, Which is up a steep and slippery hill. The elevation is about 5240ft.

Take RT. 59 East out of Hurricane. Between mile marker 9 & 10 (very close to 10) is a dirt road going to the left that is marked with a, "Scenic Byway", sign. After turning left, go 1.5 miles. There is a dirt road at this mileage going to the right just after a Black & Yellow, vertical sign in the middle of the road.
    After turning right, there will be a windmill after approx. 1 mile. A 4 whell drive is advisable after this point. Shortly after the windmill, the road splits into 3 roads. Take the middle track.
    After approx. 1/2 mile there will be an old rock building
    on the right. Shortly after that the road splits again--take the left fork. In about .1 miles the road splits again--either fork will take you to the same place & they are about the same length & the same shape.
    At approx. 2.5 miles after turning off the scenic byway the road dead ends at an old concrete watering trough with places to park.
    Follow the old fence line up the hill for about 50 yards. This is a steep slope with loose rocks.
    At the very end of the fence line is the vicinity of the cache. Also at the very end the path turns left. Going left for 15 yards will take you to the Yellow Man pictograph. It's about 15ft uo on the cliff wall. There are also several petroglyphs in this location.
    It is difficult to get a lock on cords because of the cliff. Do not decrypt the hint unless you do not want to hunt for the cache.

Name:  db1d4056-e951-4da1&#.jpg
Views: 506
Size:  84.7 KB

Oh sweet! Thanks for the ideas, I appreciate it!

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    The yellowman is very cool. The road could be drifted in through the Winter.