Thread: Southern Utah Ice

Southern Utah Ice

Southern Utah Update
    Climbed Mush for Brains (off I-15, south of Cedar City) on Tuesday night Jan. 4. It had a steady stream of water cutting through the middle of it and the top was too wet, but was otherwise as TR-able as it gets! Not sure if it is still in, but I would imagine it will be at least partially there as the temps stay low.

Climbed Camp Creek in Kanaraville yesterday Jan. 8. The ice is in pretty fat, although there is still a steady stream that is keeping the right side pretty hollow. The left side is great.

The highlight of the day was climbing a new pillar that may be touching down for the first time. Has not been climbed that we know of. We only dared to climb it on TR, so if there is someone out with a lot of cojones, you could get the FA- located just south of Camp Creek above the most southern cul-de-sac. We named it the Chekshani Pillar. Excellent ice, really steep and super fun! Probably the best ice in Southern Utah right now.

Name:  IMG_7394..jpg
Views: 3327
Size:  77.3 KB
    Camp Creek

Name:  IMG_7352..jpg
Views: 2491
Size:  63.2 KB
    Camp Creek

Name:  IMG_7395..jpg
Views: 2344
Size:  72.2 KB
    Camp Creek - As you can see the ice is pretty hollow on the right side.

Name:  IMG_7440..jpg
Views: 2244
Size:  60.8 KB
    Chekshani Pillar - take a good look, might not be back for years to come...

Name:  IMG_7418..jpg
Views: 2249
Size:  198.9 KB
    The hike up to the top was pretty gnarly but well worth it

Name:  IMG_7422..jpg
Views: 2419
Size:  69.0 KB

2. Likes Brian in SLC liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Wow! Awesome pix man.

Made a little video of the Kanarraville ice

That was sweet! Nice trip report, and great video!
    Blog | FB

Oh very cool. Where abouts is that? I don't climb ice but would like to just look at it in person. I might just drive up from STG this weekend and see if it's still there. Is it north or south of Kanarra creek trail? Just seeing that in person would be awesome.

Edit: Never mind found it, google is my friend.
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

Great footage!

Thing almost looks robust enough to lead.

Good stuff. Thanks!

I like the video TR. What's the weather like down there lately? As warm and rainy as up north?

Warm enough for rock, cold enough for ice!

Quote Originally Posted by jumar View Post
    I like the video TR. What's the weather like down there lately? As warm and rainy as up north?
    The temps in St. George are great if you find a south or west facing wall...the ice in Cedar and Kanab is still in as well!

Climbed the Cedarcicle and Cedar Slabs this past weekend 1/22/11. This is an AWESOME year for ice in Southern Utah!

Name:  IMG_8497..jpg
Views: 938
Size:  352.6 KB

Name:  IMG_8552..jpg
Views: 890
Size:  246.3 KB

Name:  IMG_8453..jpg
Views: 923
Size:  223.9 KB

Name:  IMG_8433..jpg
Views: 959
Size:  217.4 KB

Name:  IMG_8536..jpg
Views: 895
Size:  305.6 KB

Name:  IMG_8554..jpg
Views: 888
Size:  170.9 KB

Name:  IMG_8450..jpg
Views: 906
Size:  278.9 KB

Sweet! Do you have a link to beta on these two?

Great Pics... Wish it was closer. It looked a bit thin at the top..

I remember the ICE was crazy last year. If you were to drive on I15, you'd look to the east and see just about every drainage had vertical ice stuck in the back of it. Those conditions only lasted for a few weeks but man it was fun. Me and a friend went to Cedar canyon for the first time last year and saw Cedarcicle. The top 10 feet was missing, but I was jazzed about seeing so many coliflower or Blooming Onion type ice feathers growing up and out. I'd never seen ice grow that way. There was enough features I decided to leave the tools at the base. with gloved hands and crampons, I rock climbed up the ice. It was so wet, but so much fun. Thanks KC for posting the photos and letting relive those memories.
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by nieder View Post
    The temps in St. George are great if you find a south or west facing wall...the ice in Cedar and Kanab is still in as well!
    A good mountaineer dies in his bed.
    I'm always looking for rock or ice route info and a partner.

Awesome stuff. Been fighting tendonitis for a few years, but I used to ice climb a bit. If I wasn't such a powder skiing junkie in the winter, I'd love to get back out on ice.
    "Powder snow skiing is not fun. It is life, fully lived, life lived in a blaze of reality. What we experience in powder is the original human self, which lies deeply inside each of us, still undamaged in spite of what our present culture tries to do to us. Once experienced, this kind of living is recognized as the only way to live

Bump... I'm finally going to make it down there to do some Southern Utah ice. Report on conditions? Beta anyone has?