Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arizona Congresswoman Giffords shot at town hall meeting.

Arizona Congresswoman Giffords shot at town hall meeting.

Not the only victim; a federal judge and possibly a congressional staffer are dead. 11 have been shot.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40978517/ns/politics/

Name:  09giffords-span-a.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  45.7 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Recently elected to her third term in a tightly contested race against a tea party candidate. Now shot at a town-hall meeting with her constituents. Seems politically motivated to me. I wonder if some among the tea party who have advocated the use of violence against a government they perceive to be oppressive will reconsider their position or regret things said?

I hope this doesn't turn into a suggestion that the Tea Party has organized an assassination. I'm sure it was some nut, and maybe he sided with the Tea Party, but it wasn't the Tea Party that called for the shooting.

I would never suggest that the tea party would actually organize such a thing but I totally believe the over-the-top rhetoric could be blamed to some degree.

Sarah Palin's 'Target List':
    Name:  sarahpac_0..jpg
Views: 214
Size:  83.2 KB

And how about this Tea Party backed fundraiser against her?
    Name:  GABRIELLE-GIFFORDS-&.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  25.6 KB

Even if 99.99999% of tea partiers would never in a million years consider such a thing (which I believe is true), that one nut who would do it is sure to get some ideas from this kind of garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Seems politically motivated to me. I wonder if some among the tea party who have advocated the use of violence against a government they perceive to be oppressive will reconsider their position or regret things said?
    I don't think the shooter was a member of The Tea Party. I bet he was just pissed that a woman was doing a man's job.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    I hope this doesn't turn into a suggestion that the Tea Party has organized an assassination. I'm sure it was some nut, and maybe he sided with the Tea Party, but it wasn't the Tea Party that called for the shooting.
    Of course; some nut who may or may not have sided with the tea party. Too early to know. My assumption (based on target selection and venue selection) is that he probably is and my conclusion is that the rhetoric vomited out of tea partier mouths about taking up arms against a government they call oppressive may have played a roll.
    I'm not saying they can't say what they say, I would defend their right to say whatever douchy thing they choose to say, but they should count the act of some nut who follows through among the results of their words.

There are violent metaphors o'plenty endemic in TPer's rhetoric. Not at all an unfair assumption.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

Here's the shooter's youtube page...

http://www.youtube.com/user/Classitup10

Interesting....

His My Space page was up a few minutes ago but it's since been pulled down.

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    my conclusion is that the rhetoric vomited out of tea partier mouths about taking up arms against a government they call oppressive may have played a roll.....
    but they should count the act of some nut who follows through among the results of their words.
    I second that.

I bet he was just pissed that a woman was doing a man's job.
    Chere'

Quote Originally Posted by blueeyes View Post
    18 SHOT 6 DEAD

This is ridiculous.... 18 shot from 4 feet and only 6 are dead? This is why I am in favor better gun control laws. Any responsible gun owner should be able to kill at least 50% of the people he shoots from that range.

If it comes out that the shooter voted Democratic, then I assume the Democratic party could in no way be responsible for spawning such hate?

But if they sided with the Tea Party, the blame game changes.

If it comes out that the shooter voted Democratic, then I assume the Democratic party could in no way be responsible for spawning such hate?

But if they sided with the Tea Party, the blame game changes.
    The blame is based on the rhetoric. When have democrats advocated a violent response to political opposition?

The blame is based on the rhetoric. When have democrats advocated a violent response to political opposition?
    KKK?

Uh, I meant recently in a way that could be blamed for this particular violence. But sure, there were (and probably still are) racist douchebags is both parties...

I just don't hear modern democrats advocating violence in response to political views.

I agree that we should not jump to any conclusions about tying this to TP members. It is a good time to step back though, and consider how we want our various political factions to behave and hopefully the TP will use this as a time to condemn all acts of violence.
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

I just don't hear modern democrats advocating violence in response to political views.
    Are there politicians in any major party that are advocating violence?

Are there politicians in any major party that are advocating violence?

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    she is a moderate bule dog democrat. there are liberal progressives mad at that group, going so far to blame the blue dogs for the democrat election loss.

I think it's only fair, when kids shoot someone we take away violent video games from all kids. When an adult shoots a politician or a political group we take away all talking pundents from all adults (radio, tv, print, and from all political ideologies). [/sarcasm but I dislike all talking pundents but not enough to shoot one]

Quote Originally Posted by ststephen View Post
    It is a good time to step back though, and consider how we want our various political factions to behave and hopefully the TP will use this as a time to condemn all acts of violence.
    it would be nice if after this the parties in congress would be more civil and have some bipartisan(sp?) legislation on hot button issues rather than the always oppose toxic enviroment now.