Thread: Car Camping in Cedar Mesa

Car Camping in Cedar Mesa

Time to plan my spring break trip. I'm thinking of just car camping in the Cedar Mesa area and hitting up a variety of hikes to all the great ruins and art down there as well as a canyon or two. The only place I've camped in that general vicinity is at Natural Bridges National Monument. I'd prefer something less developed and crowded. Anyone willing to share their fav camping spots? PM is OK if you are shy about broadcasting. Thanks!

Oh, and once I get the dates firm I'm happy to open this up as a mini-Fest for anyone else who would like to meet up with us. It will be generally during the first week of April.
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    I know nothing about Cedar Mesa but would love to see you and your lovely family if the dates work for us. I will watch this thread with interest.
    Chere'

I heard @Richard Barron might be around that first week of April as well. He was talking about Canyonlands but I imagine that if we planned a family-fest that weekend in Cedar Mesa he could be persuaded to make an appearance...
    Cedar Mesa is on my interested-list. And I'd like to get a family outing on the calendar. And it might be fun to introduce the family to my interweb friends...

I might be interested in coming down for a mini-fest :)
    Randy Langstraat
    ADVENTR.CO | Anasazi Photography

Count me in!

Glad there's interest in meeting up! We just need to find a place. Is there something like a Hidden Splendor site that can accommodate several different groups at once? Then I guess there is the question of whether the spot can be passenger car accessible. I don't mind renting a 4WD. It would be nice to find a spot that wasn't too far from all the ruins along 261 but also not far from canyons like Fry's and Cheesebox. I guess we could always take over a bunch of spots in Natural Bridges, but an undeveloped place might be more to our liking. I've read that there is camping near Seven Kiva's but that's getting far from Fry's/Cheesebox, isn't it?
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

Sounds like this could be fun. Depending on the dates.....I would love to "hoof around" with you guys. Post the dates when they are firm.
    "You're not lost...if you don't care where you are"
    Grand Gulch /Cedar Mesa Rock Art Hats

To learn more about the ruins of SE Utah:
    Visit Beyond Mesa Verde
    Visit Anasazi Ruins

Cigarette Springs is cool. Near Road Canyon, lot's of room and water, very private.

OK, I have more firm plans (booked the air tix). I'm a bit limited in flexibility because a) Robin wants to visit a friend in Santa Fe for one day and b) Aaron has a MTB race on Sunday we have to get back for. This all means that I'll be doing all my fun stuff in Cedar Mesa Monday thru Friday 4/4 - 4/8.

Canyons in my list to do include:

- Short
    - Fry's
    - Gravel
    - Cheesebox

I'm thinking of spending 2 days. Day 1 doing Short and Fry's and Day 2 doing either Gravel or Cheesebox depending on interest, group size and experience.

Then I'm thinking of 3 days doing day hikes to the various ruins in the area. Top choices in my mind are:

- Polly's & Big Man Panel
    - Seven Kiva's
    - Mule Canyon
    - Slickhorn Perfect Kiva

But, as you all know there are many, many fine choices in the area and I'm open to other options if someone has a strong desire to hit something else.

I will arrive in Cedar Mesa on Sunday afternoon/evening. Not sure yet if I'll hotel it in Bluff or try to camp that night. I have some beta on several camping spots. Camping options include undeveloped sites on either side of Hwy 261, or up near Fry's Canyon or even at Natural Bridges NM. It may make sense to be camped nearer the canyons on the days we're canyoneering. OTOH, it's nice to not have to move camp. Let's see who is interested in hooking up and for what dates. Then we can figure out the best places to camp or meet. If this expands to a larger group we can split up into smaller groups and do different hikes and compare notes and stories around a fire at night.

Just a couple of thoughts...

I liked down Sheiks and out Bullet more than Big Man & out Polley. That is nothing but personal taste.

Seven Kiva's was not one of my favorite ruins as it isn't very photogenic. It's a good place to visit if you have done a lot of Cedar Mesa stuff, but if you haven't I'd do Falling Roof or Moon House or The Citadel over Seven Kiva's as they are much more photogenic.

FYI: Seven Kiva and the Citadel share the same trailhead and doing both in a day is not difficult. The Citadel is one of my favorites and comblining the two makes for a nice day..

Thanks for the tips!

So are you leaving Cedar Mesa on Friday the 8th or the following Saturday morning? I might be able to come down on Thursday and get in on a hike or two.

Figures! I'll be on Cedar Mesa the following week :)
    Randy Langstraat
    ADVENTR.CO | Anasazi Photography

Too bad Randy! Next time, I guess...

Nick - we will definitely do a full day's hike on Friday. We will pack up and leave that evening. If you come Thrs PM we can do something Friday.

Lurking

I'll be limited due to recent medical issues but I had tooooooooooo much fun in Music Canyon.
    seen all good people turn their heads each day so satisfied I'm on my way...

The Citadel is one of my favorites and comblining the two makes for a nice day.
    Agreed. Seven Kiva's is not much to see, IMO. I've been at ground level with it twice and have never spent more than 3 minutes there. I actually preferred the view of it from the rim on the hike to Citadel. Citadel is definitely cool. There are also plenty of other places to explore in that canyon so occupying your time shouldn't be difficult.

I'd do Falling Roof or Moon House
    I would see these too.

Giving this another bump. I think there's one confirmed and a couple of tentative folks trying to meet up with us. I still haven't picked camp spot(s) but I'm tending towards a couple of nights at Soldier's Grave and then a couple down by the Gulch. I know the mid-week thing makes it tough, but just wanted to put out the invite again.

Oh, and we'll be hiking in Chaco Canyon on Sunday 4/3. Anybody have any suggestions about the hikes there?

The Citiadel is great hike...highly recommend it...

Camping...The head of Shieks is nice. Slickrock and short hike to ruins. There are some great spots too down along the Comb Wash road. If you get the chance to camp out on Muley Point--do it! Crazy views!!!