Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Our Vacation 2010

After a few days I have the time to write a few more posts.

Today we decided to head for Potash Road. So we drove north to the junction with #279 (also known as Potash Road). The road is leading you along the Colorado River with steep cliffs on the other side. After roughly ten miles we reached the trailhead for Corona Arch.

Shortly after the start of the hike we crossed the railroad tracks leading to the Potash Mine.

Name:  comp_02PotashRoad&#.jpg
Views: 777
Size:  447.4 KB

The short hike was really beautiful

Name:  comp_04PotashRoad&#.jpg
Views: 831
Size:  559.6 KB

Before Corona Arch there's another one, Bowtie Arch, which is a collapsed pothole

Name:  comp_07PotashRoad&#.jpg
Views: 919
Size:  397.1 KB

Corona Arch itself is really impressive and huge. If you lool very closely you can see my girlfriend in this picture, which shows the dimension of this arch

Name:  comp_12PotashRoad&#.jpg
Views: 1044
Size:  437.2 KB

Back at the trailhead we drove further on potash road. After 16 miles we reached Potash Mine. The mine itself is really surprising to look at. Blue pools in Red Rock Country

Name:  comp_15PotashRoad&#.jpg
Views: 904
Size:  355.2 KB

Shortly after the mine:

Name:  comp_20PotashRoad&#.jpg
Views: 785
Size:  490.6 KB

Shortly before the Shafer Trail we couldn't help but wonder where the road should lead up the cliff.

Name:  comp_24ShaferTrai&#.jpg
Views: 873
Size:  628.5 KB

When we reached the main road of the Canyonlands National Park we decided that this is the right time for having a break. So we stopped at the overlook, grabbed a coke, sandwiches and our camping chairs. We placed our chairs right at the rim and had a "lunch with a view". Probably the Japanese tourists coming along the way have never seen people in camping chairs judging by their suprised look.

Name:  comp_28Canyonland&.jpg
Views: 764
Size:  381.7 KB

The rest of the day we spent with relaxed sightseeing. First we headed for Upheaval Dome:

Name:  comp_34Canyonland&.jpg
Views: 814
Size:  451.0 KB

On the way back to Moab we had a short stop at Death Horse Point State Park. It's a nice State Park, but after what we had seen before it didn't really impress us that much.

Name:  comp_36DeadHorse..jpg
Views: 869
Size:  384.8 KB

The way back to Moab:

Name:  comp_40ToMoab..jpg
Views: 788
Size:  374.1 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Today was our last day in Moab and we decided to visit Arches National Park. We've been there in 2006, doing the typical tourist stuff so this time we headed for the Devils Garden Primitive Trail.

Name:  comp_01Arches..jpg
Views: 831
Size:  465.7 KB

When arrived at the trailhead the hardest part was to find a parking lot. It was just like half the population of the US was on the way to Landscape Arch.

Name:  comp_04Arches..jpg
Views: 756
Size:  425.3 KB

The paved part of this trail to Landscape Arch is really attracting the masses. People with Coke and Candy Bars in their hand . But just a short hike after Landscape Arch the masses were gone.

Navajo Arch was next:

Name:  comp_05Arches..jpg
Views: 755
Size:  477.4 KB

followed by Partition Arch:

Name:  comp_07Arches..jpg
Views: 764
Size:  514.3 KB

The trail is beautiful and definitely a "must" in Arches

Name:  comp_10Arches..jpg
Views: 738
Size:  444.4 KB

Double O Arch but you have to look close to see the second hole (don't mix it up with Double Arch)

Name:  comp_13Arches..jpg
Views: 806
Size:  509.0 KB

We skipped the detour to Dark Angel and continued on the Primitive Loop.

Name:  comp_16Arches..jpg
Views: 700
Size:  474.0 KB

Back at the car we had a small lunch and made plans for the rest of the day. We wanted to be at Delicate Arch at Sunset but right now it was too early. So we decided to make a short visit at the Windows section to take some pictures.

Name:  comp_29Arches..jpg
Views: 727
Size:  473.5 KB

Name:  comp_30Arches..jpg
Views: 1912
Size:  503.3 KB

At 6pm we started the hike up to Delicate Arch. The plateau where Delicate Arch is located was crowded with people waiting for the sunset. And it's really worth the wait. Delicate Arch with the La Sal Mountains in the background is an incredible view.

Name:  comp_35Arches..jpg
Views: 817
Size:  389.3 KB

Today was a lot of driving waiting for us. We left Moab in the Morning and drove East on I-70. We left the interstate in Fruita for a short visit at the Colorado National Monument. A 23 miles scenic drive is winding up 2000 feet over the Colorado River Valley floor. We stopped at the first viewpoint to take some pictures before stopping at the Visitor Center.

Name:  comp_03ColoradoNa&#.jpg
Size:  460.7 KB

Name:  comp_04ColoradoNa&#.jpg
Views: 740
Size:  476.2 KB

Originally we planned a short hike at the National Monument, but shortly after our arrival at the N.M. we could hear distant thunder that was coming closer. Just a little bit later rain was coming down.

Name:  comp_06ColoradoNa&#.jpg
Views: 638
Size:  359.1 KB

So we decided to drive to Grand Junction. Soon before we left the National Monument the sun came through the clouds again.

Name:  comp_12ColoradoNa&#.jpg
Views: 712
Size:  511.5 KB

But already on the way to Grand Junction we decided not to turn around. In Grand Junction we had Dinner at Chillies and visited a huge Outdoor Store before heading for our todays destination, Montrose, Co.

For today mostly scenic driving was on our time shedule. After having a good breakfast in Ouray, Co we drove into direction of Red Mountain Pass.

Name:  comp_02Ouray..jpg
Views: 820
Size:  529.9 KB

Name:  comp_07MillionDol.jpg
Views: 719
Size:  424.9 KB

We drove the Million Dollar Highway to Silverton. The road offers incredible views of the Mountains surrounding the area.

Name:  comp_10MillionDol.jpg
Views: 804
Size:  665.4 KB

Name:  comp_11MillionDol.jpg
Size:  662.2 KB

A very beautiful detour is the dirt road leading to Clear Lake.

Name:  comp_13MillionDol.jpg
Size:  484.2 KB

Name:  comp_15ClearLake..jpg
Views: 678
Size:  442.6 KB

Name:  comp_16ClearLake..jpg
Views: 576
Size:  475.1 KB

Name:  comp_23ClearLake..jpg
Views: 567
Size:  362.5 KB

Name:  comp_21Murmeltie&#114.jpg
Views: 636
Size:  198.1 KB

In Silverton we only stopped a short time because a few years ago we had already been here riding the Durango&Silveron Narrow Gauge railroad.

Further on US-50

Name:  comp_41MillionDol.jpg
Views: 551
Size:  505.2 KB

Name:  comp_42MillionDol.jpg
Views: 606
Size:  462.1 KB

So after having lunch we continued on our way to Farmington, NM where we would spend our next night.

Name:  comp_49Erdm%C3%A4&#110.jpg
Views: 558
Size:  123.6 KB

Great report and photos so far!
    Randy Langstraat
    ADVENTR.CO | Anasazi Photography

Excellent trip! Thanks for sharing and great pics.
    livinutoutdoors.com
    Don't talk unless you can improve the silence.
    The trout do not rise in the cemetery, so you better do your fishing while you are still alive. SGH

Starting in Farminton in the morning we drove South on Hwy 371 before turning on the unpaved San Juan CR 7650. Our destination was Ah-Shi-Sle-Pah.

Name:  comp_02AhShiSlePa&#4.jpg
Views: 496
Size:  254.4 KB

Name:  comp_03AhShiSlePa&#4.jpg
Views: 530
Size:  302.8 KB

Name:  comp_13AhShiSlePa&#1.jpg
Views: 490
Size:  238.3 KB

For people that love hoodoos this is really a paradise.

Name:  comp_29AhShiSlePa&#1.jpg
Views: 471
Size:  212.4 KB

After hiking around 2 hrs. we arrived back at the car and drove to Page,AZ

Name:  comp_31NearPage..jpg
Views: 470
Size:  262.9 KB

Name:  comp_32NearPage..jpg
Views: 519
Size:  297.1 KB

Today was July 4th so we decided to drive up to the huge parking lot at the shopping center where all the people were waiting for the firework to start. A lot of Natives from around came to Page and were having barbecue in the parking lot.

Name:  comp_35Page..jpg
Views: 491
Size:  85.1 KB

Name:  comp_41Page..jpg
Views: 498
Size:  106.4 KB

I was talking to a Native sitting next to me for a while, and there was one sentence that I kept in my mind: "We're all just people".

In the morning we drove on the 89 until Greenhaven where we made a left on a dirtroad. Thousand Pockets was the name of our destintion, an area we found on a German Travel-Blog.

After a few miles on a few dirt roads we found a place to park our car and hiked in southern direction.

Name:  comp_02ThousandPo&.jpg
Views: 521
Size:  292.5 KB

Name:  comp_08ThousandPo&.jpg
Views: 460
Size:  235.3 KB

Name:  comp_19ThousandPo&.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  289.0 KB

Name:  comp_32ThousandPo&.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  238.3 KB

Three and a half hours we spent in this area before we were back at the car. We drove back on 89 but very soon we left it again. This time driving to the northern side. We wanted to enjoy one of the best viewpoints of Lake Powell: Alstrom Point.

Name:  comp_52Alstrom..jpg
Views: 588
Size:  243.5 KB

Name:  comp_54Alstrom..jpg
Views: 506
Size:  264.9 KB

After enjoying this incredible beautiful view we drove back to Page.

Name:  comp_62Alstrom..jpg
Views: 475
Size:  208.0 KB

Name:  comp_64Alstrom..jpg
Views: 517
Size:  196.7 KB

Back in Page we bought some ribs at Walmart and ended the day with a barbecue.

Richie, excellent right up and beautiful pictures! What kind of equipment are you using?

Thank you.
    This was my first vacation with a Nikon D300s with a 16-85 and 70-300 lens.

Quote Originally Posted by Richie View Post
    Thank you.
    This was my first vacation with a Nikon D300s with a 16-85 and 70-300 lens.
    Very nice. Did you have a chance to try out the video mode? I shoot with a Canon 5D but am considering the upgrade to the mkII version so that I can shoot video.

I only tried it twice. Once to film the Bellagion Fountains in Las Vegas and once on Yellow Rock when my girlfriend forgot the camcorder. But I'm not really into shooting movies.

After leaving Page the next day we drove on 89A through the Kaibab National Forest to Grand Canyon North Rim. We've been to the South Rim a few years ago. What I still have in mind were the masses of tourists. North Rim is fortunately not so crowded. We booked a room at the lodge but before going there we drove to Cape Royal.

Name:  comp_03NorthRim..jpg
Views: 401
Size:  325.1 KB

Name:  comp_07NorthRim..jpg
Views: 465
Size:  331.0 KB

Next stop was Point Imperial which offers a great view of Mt. Hayden and the surrounding canyons

Name:  comp_08NorthRim..jpg
Views: 451
Size:  328.3 KB

Name:  comp_10NorthRim..jpg
Views: 413
Size:  341.5 KB

After enjoying the great views we checked in at the lodge. We then walked a part of the Transept Trail but we didn't like it that much so we turned around. At sunset we walked to Bright Angel Point.

Name:  comp_19NorthRim..jpg
Views: 419
Size:  270.5 KB

Name:  comp_21NorthRim..jpg
Views: 440
Size:  314.5 KB

Name:  comp_33NorthRim..jpg
Views: 437
Size:  280.7 KB

Somehow the Grand Canyon always causes mixed feelings. The dimensions are impressive but somehow it's not causing that "wow-effect" to me. On the Colorado Plateau there are so many locations which I would rank all before Grand Canyon.

On the next day we were thinking about a drive to Little Finland but a forecast of 114 degress Fahrenheit was the reason that we drove directly to Las Vegas.

Name:  comp_02GrandCanyo&#.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  148.7 KB

In Las Vegas we had booked the Strip View Suite at Planet Hollywood. The $89 we payed were a good value. Most of the evening in Las Vegas we spent watching the Bellagio Fountains.
    We really love them.

Name:  comp_07LasVegas..jpg
Views: 447
Size:  128.7 KB

Name:  comp_09LasVegas..jpg
Views: 465
Size:  128.5 KB

The last day of our vacation was the same as ever year. Half day of Outlet Shopping, and a half day of relaxing at the pool.

Next to the L.V. Outlets:
    Name:  comp_03LasVegas2..jpg
Views: 430
Size:  137.6 KB

Because the luggage we could carry on the airplane we decided to give some camping stuff to the Salvation Army. After dropping the stuff there we headed back for the hotel.

The evening we spent at the Strip again:

Name:  comp_06LasVegas2..jpg
Views: 443
Size:  135.7 KB

Name:  comp_09LasVegas2..jpg
Views: 482
Size:  143.0 KB

The next day we had to get up early because at 7:50 our airplane left at L.V. airport. We drove to Rental Car Return and said goodbye to the Jeep Wrangler which was really a great car.
    An hour later we boarded the airplane and another great trip to the US was over.

But it surely won't be the last time......

Richie, thank you for sharing your stories and excellent photos!