Thread: Kolob AND Boundary, one trip

Kolob AND Boundary, one trip

Hi, Has anyone ever descended Kolob Canyon, ascended MIA, crossed over to descend Boundary ("ridge approach"), and then take MIA back to the gate? I've never done either canyon, is there a way to do both at the same time with a place to camp at some point?

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The thought of doing the MIA twice in one day make me want to puke onto my keyboard. If you do camp there are lots of spots you could camp. There is a nice spot right above Boundary that you could get to easily in one day after descending Kolob.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    what you describe may be possible but I think most would agree with nelson about doing MIA twice in a day or back to back days.

don't know if it's done but I've heard of some individuals wanting to split into two groups go down and leave fix ropes in both canyons then ascend up the other canyon as a way out.

Ditto that. The MIA exit is brutal and besides, why would you wanna blast thru such beautiful canyons so fast? You wouldn't have time to see anything - and forget the photography. And I don't know about ascending ropes in either of those canyons with water pounding down on ya. I hope I only have to do that in an emergency.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mmmkay, sounds like the MIA exit is pretty horrific. We're looking for something tasking in Zion for the spring. We've done Heaps and Imlay which were fantastic, but are looking for another nice, long, difficult canyon for this spring. It doesn't sound like Kolob or Boundary are as technically difficult, but very beautiful (and probably a long day). Any other taxing canyons in Zion?

Hey guys, he asked if there was a place to camp at some point. Sounds like the plan is to do it in two days? You could set up camp somewhere off the road near the head of Boundary the night before the trip, do Kolob, hike to pre set up camp, then do Boundary the next day? Wouldn't have to carry camping gear through the canyons that way. Only issue would be if Boundary wasn't flowing it might be hard to find water at camp? Not sure. The MIA isn't really that bad is it? The road hiking sucks but come on... is it really THAT bad?

Quote Originally Posted by canyoncracker View Post
    Any other taxing canyons in Zion?
    Nope, not like Heaps and Imlay, they are pretty unique. There are comparable canyons in other places but not in Zion... at least not that I've done or have beta on.

mmmkay, sounds like the MIA exit is pretty horrific. We're looking for something tasking in Zion for the spring. We've done Heaps and Imlay which were fantastic, but are looking for another nice, long, difficult canyon for this spring. It doesn't sound like Kolob or Boundary are as technically difficult, but very beautiful (and probably a long day). Any other taxing canyons in Zion?
    Spring?

Hmmm....

Bogley BigShot
    Remote Man... That picture!

Thanks Tanya. Photography is what got me started in canyoneering. Even the hardest approach or exit or the toughest day is all worth it if I come back with a keeper or two. tedmccoyphotography.com

Quote Originally Posted by trackrunner View Post
    don't know if it's done but I've heard of some individuals wanting to split into two groups go down and leave fix ropes in both canyons then ascend up the other canyon as a way out.
    The actual event was.... One group descended Boundary leaving fixed ropes and exited out MIA. The second group descended Kolob and exited up Boundary using the fixed ropes left by the first group.

I don't know of anyone that has exited UP Kolob

We've done Heaps and Imlay which were fantastic,
    I also did Heaps and Imlay before doing Kolob.... and I was disappointed in Kolob... mostly because my expectations were much too high.

Don't get me wrong, Kolob is a great canyon. But I had always heard talk of the BIG 3 and expected Kolob to be a long all day tech fest similar to Heaps and Imlay. What I got in Kolob was an hour of really nice technical slot canyon and a lot of walking.... I distinctly remember doing the last rappel and thinking "that's it?"

Bogley BigShot
    Bo and I went with HIGH water flow. A storm overhead. Rushing due to the rain, lightening and thunder. Ran into a Mountain Lion. Kolob ROCKS!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    The actual event was.... One group descended Boundary leaving fixed ropes and exited out MIA. The second group descended Kolob and exited up Boundary using the fixed ropes left by the first group.

I don't know of anyone that has exited UP Kolob
    no I'm thinking of something different. One group would go down Boundary leaving fixed ropes and would hike up Kolob where they would meet another group coming down Kolob leaving fixed ropes and ascend out that way. The Kolob group would then ascend up Boundary.

I've only heard this from the individuals as an idea but haven't heard if it ever happened from this group.

If you want a long hard day, do the "Bookend Tour of Zion"-- start and end your day with a 300 foot rap (the bookends). Do Englestead hike out and do Heaps. This has only been done by two people, Spidey and Clark. I dropped them off at Englestead about 8 p.m. and pulled the ropes for them at the first rap. Met them about 2:30 a.m. at the Grotto and we started our Heaps trip up Angles Landing about 3 a.m.ish. Finish Heaps late afternoon. I was mighty tired and I don't know How Spidey and Clark did it. They blasted through Englestead in blazing time and then did the Heaps the long hard way with no car shuttle.

The Bookend Tour of Zion would be a "tasking" day for you.
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC View Post
    Spring?

Hmmm....
    Brain has a point the flow or snow may be too much to do this in the spring.

Also I heard because of the increase flow into the Kolob reservoir this year Kolob was only done in the fall.

If you are interested in the "Bookend Tour" here is my trip report. My prior post above is a little off on times.

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...t-1-amp-Part-2)
    Life is Good

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trackrunner View Post
    Brain has a point the flow or snow may be too much to do this in the spring.

Also I heard because of the increase flow into the Kolob reservoir this year Kolob was only done in the fall.
    "may be"????

In a moderate snow year (ie, if it does not snow again), It will probably be June 1 before the road to the West Rim Trailhead is open. There would be snow and ice in the canyons until at least that time. To do either canyon, you will need to wait until the snow melts off those high, north-facing slope north of Lava Point. In June, Boundary will be rowdy - lots of water, cold - so do not underestimate it like I usually do. Shortest canyon to get to the MIA exit.

Kolob is fed by the Kolob Reservoir Dam. They found some more water to put in the Reservoir, so now they are likely to release too much water all summer long, thus the only time Kolob is likely to be available is in the fall. Tanya said her and Bo did it in "high water". High water is a relative term. I have done it at what I thought was 8 cfs, and it was fun and just a bit rowdy. Above that, it quickly reaches suicidal. The canyon is not all that big. Most of the year, they are releasing 15 cfs == suicidal.

Camping at the head of Boundary would be pleasant. If I was doing that, I would get a permit from the Park and camp on the Park side of the fence, rather than (maybe illegally) camping on MIA Camp property. The spring feeding Boundary ran all year, last year, so would be a reliable source of water, most likely.

First step would be to hike down to the head of Boundary. Reports are that the hike by going toward Kolob and following the stream and logging road down is both more pleasant and faster than the "ridge approach", so the "ridge approach" will be dropped in the next edition. Get up early, go do Kolob, then out the MIA, then follow the logging roads back (flat) to the head of Boundary and camp. Do Boundary the next day, then retrieve your camp and hike out. Casual!

Besides, there are very few with the bragging rights that come from doing the MIA on successive days. Not I! Best I have is with a day in-between.

Yes, Heaps and Imlay are the big things in Zion. Not much to compare in accessibility and intensity. There are a few other big days available in Zion, but they have not been published, and they do not have the intensity of Heaps and Imlay. Elsewhere in Utah, really only Kaleidoscope compares. Full Right Fork in a day is a grand adventure, but not very technical.

Have fun out there.

Tom