Thread: Headed to Scofield in the morming

Headed to Scofield in the morming

We will see what this ice fishing is about. I plan on catching 1 fish and so anything above will be a win. Luckily is should be in the negative 20's when we get there.

Happy New Year!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Should be fun! I've done a similar type cold day at Joe's Valley, supposedly -26*.

Just wear some waders over some insulating layers and you'll be fine. Otherwise you may end up with wet feet from slush and water coming up through the hole.

Good luck and be safe! I'm sure you'll catch more than one. Just move around if they're not there.

Happy New Year!

(I'm headed out, myself. Near Manti. Should be fun. Hopefully there's safe ice.)
    Lost On A Hill

Utah Water Log

Well that was darn near a bust. With my friend and his boy & my boy, we caught 5. 4 cuts and the biggest fish of the day a 14" Rainbow. The cuts were all 12" on the nose.

Wish I had seen the post about waders. I had no idea there would be 4" of slush, I also had no idea I would go through the ice in 4' of snow near the bank. Luckily the sorrels and wool socks kept the feet warm even though I was soppin wet for the last 2 hours. The action was painfully slow but from talking to others in the parking lot we should count our lucky stars as some people got skunked and some people fought w/ chubs all day. We fished Jakes or Kastmaters with a small hook and 2 salmon eggs 6" below the spinner. We fished the area just as you get to the lake on the right hand side about 30' from shore and maybe 15' of water.

Lucky for us the boys made good use of the sleds on the nice sled hill next to the fishing spot.

All in all it was a great day to be up there as it was warm enough not to wear gloves and just a ball cap and then my ski pants and cover alls and stayed warm. My 9 year old went through the ice as well about 1 hour before we left. Lucky for him his dad gave him his wool socks off his own feet so at least he could keep his wet feet warm. So not sure why, but both of us going through the ice kinda spooked me & on the way back to the parking lot I was glad to get past the part were you transitioned to the shore line w/o goin for a swim.

Wish it had been better fishing, but at least no one went through the ice in the middle of the lake.

2' snow on lake over 4" slush over 12" clear ice.

Pretty scary to bust through, but given the amount of snow you described over that ice, it's not surprising. The snow acts as an insulator and the ice can go bad pretty quickly, especially when combined with rising water in the reservoir.

Glad everyone made it out of the water alright and glad you caught some fish!
    Lost On A Hill

Utah Water Log

I have Friday off and would like to try some more ice fishing. Where can I go and have any hope of good luck??

I jumped on Deer Creek for about an hour last night before the sun went down. The Ice on the Charleston side was about 4 inches yesterday. People had been on it all day catching a few, but not slamming results. I have hit Strawberry 3 times this past week and each day has been sloooooow! The most action I had was at Solider Creek. I am ready to get out again even though it as been a crappy start. It will get better. Good Luck!

Hey wes, was there any ice near Antenna Rock? That's the spot west of the island where the rocks are on both sides of the highway, then really steep to the water.

That spot was really good to me last year.

(Manti area is frozen. Slow fishing.)
    Lost On A Hill

Utah Water Log

Not much ice out there yet. There were some thin layers forming the other day. As long as the cold temps stay here I think it shouldn't be long!