Thread: Did I make a mistake in choosing a backpack?

Did I make a mistake in choosing a backpack?

I found a backpack I really like the reviews of online--it's a Kelty Lakota 4000. Well, it's a bit smaller at 4000 cubic inches than my cheapo that I was using that had 4800 cu. inches, but seems much better designed. I'm just wondering though, because it took me until after I had ordered the Kelty to find out that my old one was 4800 (because it's an off brand and hard to find details on it). I was having trouble fitting everything in the old one and now I'm getting a smaller one, though because of the design, it may be better organized to pack stuff inside.
    Well, is a 65.5 liter (4000 cu. in.) pack big enough to pack food, fishing supplies and other necessities in for a 4 day 3 night trip? I'm not an ultralight backpacker, so I'm just wondering if I'm going to have to turn around and sell the new one as soon as I get it. I do try and pack light, but without going to extremes.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Can't you return it if once you get it, it is not the right one for you? I have a 5500 cubic inch pack and sometimes I wish I had bigger for those short trips too. Although I do have a closet full of packs too! Some day I might be on that show "Hoarders" for the amount of packs we have. I do use almost all of them though for something. I would say if your not happy with it then it will just bug you untill you get the right one. Hopefully it will just be an awesome pack and be a hugh 4000 cubic inch!

I am not much of a backpacker but I do a few trips a year and I use a 45L. I do go a little extreme on the whole lightweight thing but a I think you might be able to get away with a smaller pack, and still be "comfortable" on your trip. Keep your sleeping bag, tent and possibley fishing gear or anything else big and bulky on the outside of your pack, attached by the straps. As far as water, if you are going to an area with rivers, lakes, streams, etc., maybe pack a little less water. Take a filter and pump new water every morning and evening instead of stashing enough for multiple days. I hope this helps you a little.

I'd look at how much space your sleeping bag and tent/bivy occupy because 4000 ci should be plenty with today's gear. I do my two nighters with 35 lbs in a smaller than claimed 3200 ci. Maybe you should consider putting your sleeping bag in a compression sack to save a couple hundred ci and a few other space saving measures.

I have an older 5000 ci North Face Minuteman that I'll practically give away if anybody wants it. It's a bit heavy but durable. It's a large and I should've trusted my own instincts over the salesman's recommendations because it can't be adjusted down to my 18.5-19" torso. It has only been used a few times for yurt trips with Jordeane and Catherine. (somebody needed to carry the libations )
    seen all good people turn their heads each day so satisfied I'm on my way...

I typically use a 4400ci but it's never full. I used to use a 3300ci and it was pretty tight. I think 4000 would be a good size but that of course depends on what you're packing.

Quote Originally Posted by wes242 View Post
    Can't you return it if once you get it, it is not the right one for you? I have a 5500 cubic inch pack and sometimes I wish I had bigger for those short trips too. Although I do have a closet full of packs too! Some day I might be on that show "Hoarders" for the amount of packs we have. I do use almost all of them though for something. I would say if your not happy with it then it will just bug you untill you get the right one. Hopefully it will just be an awesome pack and be a hugh 4000 cubic inch!
    I bought it on Ebay. It's brand new, but I'm not sure what the seller's return policy is. I'll definitely be checking, and should've done so before buying.

Quote Originally Posted by cachehiker View Post
    I'd look at how much space your sleeping bag and tent/bivy occupy because 4000 ci should be plenty with today's gear. I do my two nighters with 35 lbs in a smaller than claimed 3200 ci. Maybe you should consider putting your sleeping bag in a compression sack to save a couple hundred ci and a few other space saving measures.
    I have a light weight sleeping bag that's in a compression sack that I use for summer trips like the one I'm planning. I also have a light weight tent that doesn't take up much room. My pad for my sleeping bag is maybe a good place for me to start reducing bulk as the ones I have, though they roll pretty small, are older and I can probably find something more state of the art that would work better and perhaps take up less room.

I am not much of a backpacker but I do a few trips a year and I use a 45L. I do go a little extreme on the whole lightweight thing but a I think you might be able to get away with a smaller pack, and still be "comfortable" on your trip. Keep your sleeping bag, tent and possibley fishing gear or anything else big and bulky on the outside of your pack, attached by the straps. As far as water, if you are going to an area with rivers, lakes, streams, etc., maybe pack a little less water. Take a filter and pump new water every morning and evening instead of stashing enough for multiple days. I hope this helps you a little.
    It helps a lot. This pack supposedly has some great straps on the outside for just such a use. And I do plan on just taking one bottle of water to refill with my filter as I will be going to a place with plenty of water (King's Peak).

what you did is make yourself be more discerning about what you can carry. trust me, i am sure you have been carrying too much stuff for years. thin it out, use compression sacks for your sleeping bag and clothes, make sure that everything has multiple uses, think ultralight (doesn't mean uncomfortable). and please try not to strap stuff to the outside. you will look like a dustbowler from oklahoma (no offense to members from oklahoma).

there is never one pack that will do all trips. my pack stable has 8 steeds in it, from my little camelbak mule to a super sized expedition pack.and they have all seen heavy use. that being said a good pack will last you for years. i have one pack (a lowe expedition) i bought in 78 and it still gets brought out of the closet for trips when i just need an old beater pack.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by denaliguide View Post
    there is never one pack that will do all trips. my pack stable has 8 steeds in it, from my little camelbak mule to a super sized expedition pack.and they have all seen heavy use. .
    I equate packs like underware - I have many packs and each is just right for that perfect occasion.
    Some people "go" through life and other people "grow" through life. -Robert Holden

Quote Originally Posted by Felicia View Post
    I equate packs like underware - I have many packs and each is just right for that perfect occasion.
    Hmm. I see what you mean.

I have an older 5000 ci North Face Minuteman that I'll practically give away if anybody wants it. It's a bit heavy but durable
    I'd be interested.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    I'd be interested.
    Good to see you around here again, Scott!

I use a mountain hardwear 3800 ci pack. Modded it a bit by sewing two 6" x 24" silnylon sacks to cinch on the outside when I needed the extra storage......which I used on a 13 day trip of the length of the Wind Rivers. Total weight was 41 lbs, less water. Part way through the trip when a sack got empty I stuffed it inside. Beats having a large pack half empty!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    I'd be interested.
    I have one interested party offering to take it off my hands when I'm in SLC on the 18th.

Will PM you and post it in the classifieds if it falls through.
    seen all good people turn their heads each day so satisfied I'm on my way...

I'm with them look at your bag, sleeping pad and shelter. go smaller and lighter Post up some pics of your gear? That new sleeprest neoair is very light and packs up real small!!

Quote Originally Posted by Felicia View Post
    This is how I know I'm part of the right group of people here on Bogley, when the women make comments equating their underwear to their backpacks.
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"