Thread: Advice: Cold Weather clothing

Advice: Cold Weather clothing

Showing my advanced newbness here..
    We're going to Coyote Buttes in late January and I'm trying to put together a list of what clothing I need to buy taking into account the weather that time of year. It is my understanding that it could be anywhere between 20s and 50s during the day, and possibly snowing.

In general, for hiking in this climate in late January, what would you suggest packing/wearing for a day? I'll have a backpack with camera gear/tripod.

I'm fairly used to bundling up for a cold day as I photograph a lot of sports outdoors in new england in temps well below freezing. What I don't know much about is layering.

Taking nothing for granted, what would you suggest from head to toe (and fingers)?
    I currently have Under Armour coldgear pants and mock shirt, a Patagonia nano puff jacket, a micro-fleece vest and a decent winter coat. I also have long johns that are pretty bulky but effective.

So any suggestions would be extremely helpful. Thanks in advance!
    (If there is already a thread on this, please link me to it, I searched and couldn't find one)
    -gib

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Assuming its not way colder than average it should be pretty decent during the day. Just layer up as necessary with whatever you have. Synthetics are ideal and convertible pants are nice too. When I was there in December it was actually hot for the hike out but frigid in the shade.

Are you camping out there or staying in a hotel?

Quote Originally Posted by ibenick View Post
    Assuming its not way colder than average it should be pretty decent during the day. Just layer up as necessary with whatever you have. Synthetics are ideal and convertible pants are nice too. When I was there in December it was actually hot for the hike out but frigid in the shade.

Are you camping out there or staying in a hotel?
    Thanks for the quick reply!

Nah, not roughing it this time, hotel in Page the night before and in Kanab the night of. Got permits for CBN and planned a VERY quick trip out with my best bud.
    Basically we're looking at:
    Sun: Fly into Vegas in the evening, drive to St. George
    Mon: Rimrock Hoodoos, Lower Antelope Canyon, Horseshoe Bend, staying in Page
    Tues: Coyote Buttes North (hoping to see as much of it as possible though with it being our first visit, I don't want to get overwhelmed :) ), staying in Kanab
    Wed: Coral Pink Sand Dunes for sunrise, and Valley of Fire then staying in Vegas
    Thurs: Fly home early..

You can see a lot of it if you maximize your daylight. We hit the trail probably around 8:30 or 9 and made it back by 4pm. We put in 8 miles round trip and made it to the top of Sand Cove and up and over the bench and back down through The Wave taking plenty of time to stop and take photos, etc. If you made it out closer to sunrise and stayed until sunset it would be really nice.

I got these pants 2 years ago and they are my first choice when hiking in the colder temps. I have since bought 2 more pair and even got them in shorts. They have a bit of a strech to them so when I have to step over something high i don't feel limited. I tore the crotch out of some others rock hoping that just didn't have the strech like these. If it is really cold then I just wear some thermals under them. These are what I will be wearing when we hit the Wave next month same day as you. I will wear some layers for the top half, short sleve shirt, then a long sleeve, then with my jacket shell. Keeps me warm if it is cold, but if I need to take it off it is light weight.

Mountain Hardware Piero Pant
    http://www.altrec.com/mountain-hardwear/mens-piero-pant

Quote Originally Posted by ibenick View Post
    You can see a lot of it if you maximize your daylight. We hit the trail probably around 8:30 or 9 and made it back by 4pm. We put in 8 miles round trip and made it to the top of Sand Cove and up and over the bench and back down through The Wave taking plenty of time to stop and take photos, etc. If you made it out closer to sunrise and stayed until sunset it would be really nice.
    We plan on getting to the road as close to first light as possible.
    Your photos were really beautiful, something to strive for! I'm hoping to check out the wave, second wave as well as Melody Arch. I can't wait to see it!

Quote Originally Posted by wes242 View Post
    I got these pants 2 years ago and they are my first choice when hiking in the colder temps. I have since bought 2 more pair and even got them in shorts. They have a bit of a strech to them so when I have to step over something high i don't feel limited. I tore the crotch out of some others rock hoping that just didn't have the strech like these. If it is really cold then I just wear some thermals under them. These are what I will be wearing when we hit the Wave next month same day as you. I will wear some layers for the top half, short sleve shirt, then a long sleeve, then with my jacket shell. Keeps me warm if it is cold, but if I need to take it off it is light weight.

Mountain Hardware Piero Pant
    http://www.altrec.com/mountain-hardwear/mens-piero-pant
    Thanks for the suggestion, Wes!

Bogley BigShot
    I have gone out there in the winter a lot and I wear layers. Hi-tech. Very light and very thin cloth. I usually wear one jacket on top, that compresses easily into a small backpack along with my camera and other gear. Wear boots to keep your feet dry! A hat that covers your ears. Tight gloves that you can still use a camera while on. It can get windy and cold out there in January. Always go prepared to get stuck. Those roads are really not good if wet and that is even from melting snow. Often the road gets washed out mid-way as well. Go prepared for everything! If its snowy, sunglasses are handy.

Check out this thread too
    http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...452#post425452

I have been to the wave twice in the winter, and both times the road was either closed or extremely slippery. We still managed to leave our car and hike the extra distance in. The take away lesson for me was a good pair of boots that could withstand several inches of either water or clay like mud. I would also have some very warm socks and possibly a backup pair. The actual hike from wire pass in was not very difficult and clothing in layers was not that important to me. I am sure you know that Utah does not have the humidity that New England does, and if you are photographing sports you will be much colder, than hiking in Utah. With that being said I always carry clothing for spending the night.
    Randy

Thanks Tanya and Randy. Definitely going to keep our eye on the conditions of the road before heading there, and we're prepared (though not hoping!) to change plans if we can't drive it! I'll have boots and extra socks, for sure. Looking forward to our quick adventure in just 19 days!

Hopefully I can get some good images to share!

We're planning a longer trip out to Moab later in the year (I was in Moab during my 10 day adventure this past fall but only for 3 days) :)