Thread: Do you hike the Uintas?

Do you hike the Uintas?

Hey everyone
    Yesterday I was looking for some information from people who've hiked the highline trail when I came across this web site. The information I found was helpful and the people seemed friendly.
    I've been hiking in the Uintas, four or five times a year, by myself for the past couple years. My family and friends are just not into this kind of activity and I'm tired of missing out because there is no one to go with. I've been going out for two to three day hikes and usually do a little fishing and take a lot of pictures. I hope to hike the highline trail this year at the end of July and would like to meet some people with similar interests to learn from and possibly hike with if our interests and availabilities can connect. Lets visit if your looking to make some plans for the summer to get up in the mountains.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I have hiked the Highline trail like 7 times over the past 20 years. We have always taken the same route starting by Butterfly lake and hiking in up over Rocky Sea Pass. I have been wanting to go back up there again and was going to last summer but never did. I love going up for for the fishing and photography. We always went by Uinta, Black, and over to lightening lake just to name a couple. Hardly ever see anyone back there too, so it is just you and the mosiquitos! I would like to get out again this year and do some hiking back up that way.

Welcome to Bogley, Ron. I'm a big fan of the Uintas too. Solo when I have to but prefer to go with other people. I've met up with several people here on Bogley and had some great trips.

The high line trail looks like some amazing scenery and a decent work out. When you've hiked the trail did you go end to end or just take sections? I'm trying to figure out times and distances and it looks like the whole hike would be about 70 miles from the trail head at Butterfly lake to the Spirit Lake trail head on the east end. From what I have read many people begin or finish at the Chepeta Lake trail head but they also report that the drive in from the south side is much longer then coming in from the north through Fort Bridger. When you hiked the trail did you have a goal for how many miles to hike a day? I would like to do it in a week and was wondering if ten miles a day is a reasonable goal considering the terrain and passes along the way.

By the way you have some amazing photographs on your web site. Very impressive and beyond my level with my Nikon 5000.

what kind of shape are you in? have you done 7 consecutive 10 mile days before at full carry?

i would say it's definitely doable, especially in july when the snow on the passes is minimal. i consider the uinta's terrain to be pretty mellow really. elevation gained and lost is not that much once you get up to 10k. 10 miles a day is really only 5-6 hours a day walking, but 7 days worth of food ends up adding a minimum of 14 pounds to the pack... so, depends on how much you can carry, or are willing to carry. starting with a 30 pound pack and ending with 12 pounds is much easier than starting with 45 pounds and ending with 27.

sometimes people make a cache at moon lake if they stay out longer, i believe. i also know people who've done all 70 miles in just two nights. so, just depends entirely on you.

We always did it in and back out. First started back in 7th grade when my dad took a bunch of scouts up there and I went with. It was fun and I loved it up there. I wasn't ever into the high mileage hikes, I just wanted to go to some fun places. You could do 10 miles a day as long as you are fit and do hurt yourself. Myself though I just want to fish all day! We had one trip that I caught 220 fish in 3 days. Catch and Relase of course. The only goals we set were where we were going to camp. Some days we did long day hikes but came back to our camp that night.
    Thanks about the Photos Ron!

Welcome Ron.