Thread: What to do with old tires?

What to do with old tires?

I am planning a project to clean up a canyon which is covered in trash from people tossing their dump from the road above over the last couple decades. I have no problem disposing of the trash that I will pull out, except for the tires. There is about 30-40 of them and I dont have the extra cash to pay to dispose of them. Does anyone in the St. George or surrounding areas have a use for them? Retaining wall, planters, ATV track bumpers, etc? Some have steel, some dont. They are not all pretty looking, but some are.
    Also, if anyone is interested in joining me on this project, I am planning sometime next week. Lots of glass and cans and other metal and plastic.

Merry Christmas to all!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Just go at night and drop them off in front of your local tyre shop :)... or go ask your local tyre shops to let you bring them there and wehre you are getting them from a lot will just let you bring them as they get paid for them anyhow ;)
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

Really, I will call around then! Thanks a ton!

I always try to burn a few tires to celebrate Earth day.
    Let's Roll

That could be an option I guess, but the amount of black smoke that 40 burning tires would make... I dont think the fire department would appreciate me too much! But if I did, Al Gore would be at the top of the invite list.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerhirshfeld View Post
    Really, I will call around then! Thanks a ton!
    I think ye olde tyre shoppe's pay money to dispose of the carcasses, but you could probably interest one in taking them off your hands as a public service project. If you really get stuck, let me know I'll chip in 100$. How much money is involved? What stream are you cleaning up? Need help??

Tom

Not really any money is involved in this project. I planned on using old guiding rope, webbing, etc to raise the equipment from the canyon floor. All time will be donated. Its an area I have been eyeballing for 2 years now, and really want to get around to it these cooler months. I have vonlunteered alot of time the last couple years to picking up trash along the Nature Trail in Red Cliffs, but would like to do this bigger scale cleanup a few miles up canyon. We also have a permit with Dixie National Forest to guide through its sister canyon and exit out the targeted canyon, and I really want the area looking natural and pristine. I dont want to ask for monetary donations, though its greatly appreciated and I will not turn it down. I will call around on Monday though, and see if some of the tire shops in town can take them off my hands.
    The location of the canyon is: 37

Actually most of them get paid for the Tyres.. its a nice little profit for them.. they charge most people a $2+ recycle fee, then the state $1 and then the tyre recyclers (know a few people up north personally) pay $2-3 per Tyre to the shop for the old rubber depending on the size :). Its kinda like the Used grease at the back of a fast food joint..that stuff is worth some $$ to the right people.
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"