Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Himalayan Giants - The Khumbu

Amazing read! I hope you are keeping a detailed diary of all your adventures so you can write a book. Put me on the list of first purchasers of that book.
    The man thong is wrong.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Finally got around to reading your full report, Dan. LOVED IT! So many things have changed since my visit there in 1984 and yet it seems so familiar too. I'm saddened to learn how trashed Dzonghla has become. When we were there, there was no permanent village at all. We arrived to a few empty stone huts and spent the night there with no others camped at all. My wife can relate to your story about ascending Gokyo-Ri. I had had a small bout with AMS the day we ascended from Namche towards Gokyo and we stopped for a rest day in village along the route. But, by the time we reached Gokyo I was fine. I remember the morning we headed for Gokyo-Ri I was downright energized and wanted to beat the few other hikers that day to the top. Robin was huffing and puffing and cursing me as I gleefly leaped along the trail asking why she was going so slow!

We luckily survived our month in Khumbu with no stomache ills. The garlic pizza I had in K-town was another story though.

Here are a couple of poor-quality images from scans of my ancient slides. The first of Dzonghla. The next of Gokyo "village" and the last of the Gokyo Ri with some scraggly long-haired hippy and his beautiful newlywed wife.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

Oh, and it was heartening to hear that Cho-La was not exactly a cakewalk, even for you. I do remember that being a bear and being a little fearful getting on and off the glacier. We did it in the other direction.

OK, let's plan a return to Nepal and do something a little less travelled. Maybe the Arun Valley to the east, ending at Makalu BC? Or how about the far west? Or maybe trek in India from Himachal Pradesh through Zanskar to Ladakh??? (Realistically, I'll have to wait for son to finish High School though).
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

kanchenjunga circuit. you name the date.