Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: west trip

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by p40whk View Post
    Come to think of it, it would be nice to have a stickied thread that listed all of the sites like these for people to go to for research.
    This is on my bogley list of things to do...although, currently I'm putting the final tweaks on my Bogley Christmas Gift! 2 more days!
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks guys, My question is, a lot of people that I am crazy to do Zion the Last 2 weeks of June because of the Heat. But it looks like a lot of my Hiking would be being done by and or in the cold water and stuff like angels and other higher desert trekking could be at least partly done starting at sun up during the cooler times of the days , and only on the really long hikes would I maybe suffer a full days in the heat, ?For now it looks like I should do Angels one morning up to mid -day then Keyhole Canyon the last part of our day. I can spend 2 days doing the Narrows, I can spend a day doing the Subway.So these days won't be bad with the heat, but what about these other hikes, are they doable in late june? I can spend a day hiking The west rim trail, The East Rim Trail Hike, Emerald Pools, and Zion Tunnel. Kanarra Creek for a half a day, Orderville Gulch for a day. So it looks like I should allow about 12 days to spend in and around Zion., 2 days for Bryce,What would you suggest we visit in the south during this hot time of year, ,Something in any of these Parks? Arches, Grand Canyon maybe for a North Canyon trek for a couple days or if too hot maybe not, , canyonlands, Mesa Verde, Escalante We both are kayakers, so maybe we can look it to a trip down the river in a raft,for a day, Just trying to find a way to take in a lot of what the south has to offer without dying in the heat. We are both heat tough, so I really am not too scared but all of these comments have me starting to wonder, everybody is really against visiting the south this time of the year but then they say how cold these long hikes in and around the water are??? what gives??? Do any of you think doing this trip at this time is a great thing??????

I wouldn't worry about the temps in and around Zion in June. I've been there 4 times in August and yes it's hot but nothing like you're used to with the humidity of the midwest. I hate to use the term"Dry Heat" but it's a true statement. You'll be fine and don't listen to people telling you you're crazy for going that time of year.

Scroll down on this page for a Zion average weather chart: http://www.zion.national-park.com/weather.htm

One other suggestion, and this is related to your posts, try to break up those huge paragraphs into smaller 2-3 line paragraphs, makes it much easier to read.
    -------
    Jeff

"Be who you are, say what you feel.
    Because those that mind don't matter and,
    those that matter don't mind"

~Dr. Suess~

Ha , thanks, I am a carpenter for a living, so I do and have done zero book learning for 21 years, which is why my letters are so poor. I can do a little better though. Thanks for the help bud. I am going to start my research into this trip, and come up with a good plan from all of the recommendations i have received. There is much to be done on my end, just getting a plan for all of the items that I will need for her and I to have a great trip. That, along with research into all of the places I want to visit, the travel, and reservations and permits I need will be good fun looking into. I appreciate you tips, Kirk

Come to think of it, it would be nice to have a stickied thread that listed all of the sites like these for people to go to for research.
    One already exists in the canyoneering forum:
    http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?24485

Climb Utah is also another technical canyoneering site (http://www.climb-utah.com/)
    FWIW: Climb-Utah.com is split about 50/50 between technical and non-technical. I have tried to add something for everyone to the site.