Thread: Chaffing

Chaffing

[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]This is a little awkward, but what does everyone use for chaffing. When I run in the cold I put on a few layers and my shirt get very wet from sweat, they then begin to rub my nipples and by the end I am a little sore. I have seen some people use band aids. Would shaving your chest help, hurt. Any ideas? I have good shorts and haven

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I chaff in between my legs. I have tried duct tape and it works pretty well, until it gets knocked off from the friction. It may work better with nipples than legs.

P.S. If you use duct tape- shave the area first :)
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

For the nipples, quit getting so excited first and then they won't stick out. But I think one of those Under Armor compression shirts would help.

For the legs, Gold Bond talcum powder does the trick. Just powder up a bit before you start running, and it stays dry down there. Same purpose as baby powder.

For nipples I just use athletic tape over them. For everywhere else I use Body Glide when needed.
    It's your fault, you shouldn't have been there!

I think girls dont have the chaffing problem because of sports bras, so a tight underarmour shirt would probably work, and keep you warm. I use vaseline under my arms - in the summer the rubbing chafes there, my first marathon I had no idea and man, did that hurt! Chammy creams work well, too, but more expensive.
    Also, I always wear longer shorts for my thighs... I dont like the short short runners shorts for that reason - you can always wear lycra under your shorts, but I think that looks kinda funny. :-) My husband likes the "real" runners shorts and uses a chammy cream with great success.

Although awkward - good questions!
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    worst injury.

prevention & defence is the key.

good tips alreay mentioned. tape or bandaid for the nipples.

vasaline for other body parts (arms, thighs, etc).

I've found with thighs short selction for the conditions. the worst I've ever had it was for a race in the middle of the day of a summer. it was hot out and the race put up misters. felt nice. expect my racing shorts got wet which became very painful. same thing can happen if your shorts get wet from sweat.

so if the conditions are right where your shorts will get soaked in water or salty sweat lycra running shorts may be a better selection.

When I run in the cold I put on a few layers and my shirt get very wet from sweat, they then begin to rub my nipples and by the end I am a little sore
    few things stood out to me here.

what type fabric for your shirts are you using? cotton, bad. instead use a fabric that will whick mosture away from your body and dry quicker.

second the layering. when you run your body usually warms up and the outside temperatures feel 20 degrees warmer. so if it's 40 outside you may want to run in clothing that would feel comfortable just standing around in when it's 60 outside.

I wear wicking fabric. I am not use to running in the cold so I put on too much. I sweat real good on the uphill, but when I hit the downhill I get chilled. Thats when the nipples stand at attention and the wet shirt rubs back and forth. Most of my outside runs are on trails and I am worried about the cold. I really need to wear less layers and carry and extra jacket or shirt. Thanks for all the info.

Body Glide has been my friend.

http://www.bodyglide.com/
    Biking, Hiking, and Fishing are life. Everything else is just fluff.

+1 on the bodyglide, no need for tape or special care it works wonders. 15.00 a stick.

Two wheels are better than four, keep the rubber side down.

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Outdoor Forum