Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Snowbird or Alta anyone?

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar

Snowbird or Alta anyone?

Ok my goal this year is to try different ski resorts. Being originally from Ogden I had no need to travel to SL area to ski. Anyhoo be up that way for the holidays and would love to ski Snowbird and Alta. Anyone interested in joining me that knows those areas well?

I am a good skier and want to get the most out of my ski pass. Would love a guide.

My only Christmas wish this year is some really good snow storms and ski passes. I am hoping for an early delivery and a delayed bonus delivery of both.

Already have one pass to Eagle Point (THANKS OFFPISTE!!!) might hit that on our way back home if weather is suitable.
    Chere'

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Haven't been to Snowbird for a loooong time. But my vote is Alta. I don't care what anyone says boarders thrash the snow. Alta's snow is always so awesome. Go there!
    The man thong is wrong.

Alta rules! My fav...

I don't care what anyone says boarders thrash the snow.
    Bahhhh.

I plan on going to both. What I want is a ski buddy someone who knows either place and can show me where the funnest spots are. I can go by myself and will and have a ball but you get more out of it if you are with someone who can show you where to go.
    Chere'

I know Snowbird pretty well and have a M-F pass there, but I snowboard so no Alta for me. Can't go this week & will be at freezefest for the two days I have off next week but if you are ever up this way after New Years feel free to hit me up.

I will keep you in mind Shaggy.

I just got word from Santa and he is giving me cash to go where ever I please!!! Love'n my Christmas. This way I can take the kids with me as well love my adventure buddies. Luckily Spencer's old skis fit Sarah so we only have to do one rental. Think we are headed to Canyons tomorrow with friends from PC. I hear St. George might float away while we are gone!
    Chere'

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxx View Post
    Haven't been to Snowbird for a loooong time. But my vote is Alta. I don't care what anyone says boarders thrash the snow. Alta's snow is always so awesome. Go there!
    Hey Jaxx how many edges do ski's have? Sorry, but you are wrong. The skiers were scraping 36" of fresh all the way to the ice today at the Bird. Four edges remove snow layers faster than two. If ski'ers would learn how to turn and press the base on the cats this would not be the case. GS turns on a cat track? Lame. I get tired of that lame excuse for skiers inability to adapt to changing conditions. It is like you elitist skier's want your snow served with chocolate strawberries and fluffy pillows. If skier's would spend less time bitching about things and more time actually skiing it would be better for everyone all around. Learn to ski when you come over in Mineral Basin. You are not at Alta anymore. Oh and one more thing, stop parking perpendicular on all the fxxxing traverses. Standing is not skiing.

Alta supports segregation because of what gear you have strapped to your feet. Bunch of snow Nazis. If you like to ski 300 feet and stop and chit chat with your pal, ski at Alta. If you really like to actually ski, go to Snowbird. And Snowboarding is not going away so just get over that bullshit.

Dr. are you tired and a bit grumpy tonight?

The snowboarders from my experience diminish the moguls, maybe I am wrong but as a four year old skiing with my Dad I remember the moguls as mountains themselves and they never get that big anymore because inexperienced snowboarders. Maybe I am wrong but that is what I attribute it to.

As for skiers standing around on the runs you can counter that with snowboarders that plop their ass down in the middle of the run with out checking uphill to see if anyone else is using the run. Or how about the asshole kid that intentionally went out of his way at Brighton last year on his snowboard to spray snow over my ten year old skier...I could counter that one with the jackass skier that ran her over at Snowbasin.

And I have heard both sides bitch about each other....so productive.

I will admit I hated snowboards when they first hit the scene, most of the ones I encountered were abnoxious little shits. I admire them now it has been pretty cool watching the sport evolve and I enjoy watching what they can do and believe they have pushed skiers to be better in aerial tricks.

With all that said I can't wait to ski Alta for the nostalgia factor.

Don't take anything I said the wrong way I am mostly countering because you seem too grumpy for someone who has been playing in the snow so much.

If you are such a fan of Snowbird you interested in showing me around for a bit? My mother's opinion is that once I ski the Bird I won't want to ski anywhere else.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G using Tapatalk
    Chere'

Alta

I learned how to ski, at Alta, in college, a hundred years ago.
    Now I have a season pass and am there two or three times a week.
    The current new storm total is 51 inches bringing the season snowfall to 215" the week before Christmas. I have skied the 'Bird since it opened, and enjoy it too, but Alta is better for kids with more intermediate runs, though it also has lots of steeps as well.
    Today the pow was knee deep, and it was epic. Happy to ski with you and show you around the place, drop me a line at gone2moab at hotmail dot com.

rick t

Quote Originally Posted by blueeyes View Post
    Dr. are you tired and a bit grumpy tonight?

The snowboarders from my experience diminish the moguls, maybe I am wrong but as a four year old skiing with my Dad I remember the moguls as mountains themselves and they never get that big anymore because inexperienced snowboarders. Maybe I am wrong but that is what I attribute it to.

As for skiers standing around on the runs you can counter that with snowboarders that plop their ass down in the middle of the run with out checking uphill to see if anyone else is using the run. Or how about the asshole kid that intentionally went out of his way at Brighton last year on his snowboard to spray snow over my ten year old skier...I could counter that one with the jackass skier that ran her over at Snowbasin.

And I have heard both sides bitch about each other....so productive.

I will admit I hated snowboards when they first hit the scene, most of the ones I encountered were abnoxious little shits. I admire them now it has been pretty cool watching the sport evolve and I enjoy watching what they can do and believe they have pushed skiers to be better in aerial tricks.

With all that said I can't wait to ski Alta for the nostalgia factor.

Don't take anything I said the wrong way I am mostly countering because you seem too grumpy for someone who has been playing in the snow so much.

If you are such a fan of Snowbird you interested in showing me around for a bit? My mother's opinion is that once I ski the Bird I won't want to ski anywhere else.

Nah not grumpy, just calling bullshit when I see it.

I am sorry that you have ran into the ass end of those who choose to participate in winter sports.

On both accounts, spraying your friends is ok, spraying a 10 yr old, not cool at all.

Any skier or snowboarder that runs into someone is not following mountain safety. Those in front of you have the right away, it is your responsibility to avoid them. Glad that was not my daughter, I would have been the saddest day in that persons life.

I would be happy to show you around. Anytime you are heading up, let me know. Your Mom is right BTW.

I don't want everyone to think that I hate skiing, quite the opposite. I have a ton of friends who ski. And they agree with how lame the whole Alta thing is. Discrimination in any form is stupid. It is the elitist attitude about it which I think is hurting skiing. Skiing has snowboarding to thank for sidecut, snowboarding has skiing to thank for metal edges. I just have had my fair share of experiences with morons who think it is ok to be a douche bag on the hill. And that goes for skiers and snowboarders. But when someone blames one or the other for tracked out snow, to me, that is just an excuse for not being able to adapt to changing conditions.

Your painting with a broad brush about everyone who skis at Alta. We are not all elitist assholes.

Blueeyes, make sure your hit sugerloaf and supreme when you get up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Nebz View Post
    Alta supports segregation because of what gear you have strapped to your feet. Bunch of snow Nazis. If you like to ski 300 feet and stop and chit chat with your pal, ski at Alta. If you really like to actually ski, go to Snowbird. And Snowboarding is not going away so just get over that bullshit.
    This thread just got interesting

I went to Alta a few times and really liked it... then some kids at work talked me in to snowboarding and a whole new level of fun that goes along with it Alta might not be the best snowboard terrain anyway, too many large flat areas if I remember right, I don't miss it much.
    Brighton works for me, now if they would just ban those darned skiers

p.s. Brighton tonight under the lights? I think me and DJ will be there around 6pm if anyone wants to meet up for a run.

This is the best thread I have seen in a while!! Know what you're doing, how to do it and keep others in mind at all times. If you're slow, stopped or stupid, stay to the sides. Don't sit or stand in the middle of the hill, and don't cut tree line to tree line unless you are clipping ahead of the crowd or next to friends that know how to join you. Think of it as the fast lane on the freeway. The slow drivers have the right to be on the freeway, but they should get in the appropriate lane. In the past, I always considered boarders to be the less-than. I guess you could say I was of the Elitist mentality. That is until I spent the day with one a friend who was boarding. That kid could cook!! I was genuinely impressed by the way he carved the hill. That being said, if we disregard each others right to share the mountain, we are exercising ignorance. I think I'm the fastest, baddest-ass skier on the mountain!! The reality is, there are thousands of people who could make me look mediocre at best. Most are half my age, but excuses are like assholes. We all have one and they all stink. Merry Christmas, and lets get out there and carve it up!!
    I just dropped by to see what condition my condition is in.

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    Your painting with a broad brush about everyone who skis at Alta. We are not all elitist assholes.
    Ok I can see your point, but, how about the "I hate snowboarders" mentality which seems to be mostly Alta skiers who portray that attitude? Trust me I see it more than most riders because of the traffic that comes over to the Bird via the connection to Mineral Basin. I am sorry, but segregation has no place anywhere, especially when it comes to snow. And supporting a resort that supports segregation makes my brush just a bit more narrow if you think about it. Stop the hate, share the mountain.

Quote Originally Posted by Garbanzo View Post
    This is the best thread I have seen in a while!! Know what you're doing, how to do it and keep others in mind at all times. If you're slow, stopped or stupid, stay to the sides. Don't sit or stand in the middle of the hill, and don't cut tree line to tree line unless you are clipping ahead of the crowd or next to friends that know how to join you. Think of it as the fast lane on the freeway. The slow drivers have the right to be on the freeway, but they should get in the appropriate lane. In the past, I always considered boarders to be the less-than. I guess you could say I was of the Elitist mentality. That is until I spent the day with one a friend who was boarding. That kid could cook!! I was genuinely impressed by the way he carved the hill. That being said, if we disregard each others right to share the mountain, we are exercising ignorance. I think I'm the fastest, baddest-ass skier on the mountain!! The reality is, there are thousands of people who could make me look mediocre at best. Most are half my age, but excuses are like assholes. We all have one and they all stink. Merry Christmas, and lets get out there and carve it up!!
    ^^^Agreed.

This argument is no different than sharing the trails with hikers, horses and bikes. Unfortunately you are always going to run into elitist assholes.

Hell I forgot how much work taking kids skiing is!! I need a day on the slopes without my adventure buddies. Have to report later. I am not pecking the story out on my phone keyboard. Hahaha

Dr. I am free any day next week.

Chere'

Snowboarders are a bunch of pot smoking, hippy, trailer trash, nut rags.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Nebz View Post
    Hey Jaxx how many edges do ski's have? Sorry, but you are wrong. The skiers were scraping 36" of fresh all the way to the ice today at the Bird. Four edges remove snow layers faster than two. If ski'ers would learn how to turn and press the base on the cats this would not be the case. GS turns on a cat track? Lame. I get tired of that lame excuse for skiers inability to adapt to changing conditions. It is like you elitist skier's want your snow served with chocolate strawberries and fluffy pillows. If skier's would spend less time bitching about things and more time actually skiing it would be better for everyone all around. Learn to ski when you come over in Mineral Basin. You are not at Alta anymore. Oh and one more thing, stop parking perpendicular on all the ****ing traverses. Standing is not skiing.

BAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

It's not how many edges you have on the snow. It is how you turn in the snow. Stop talking out of your ass.
    The man thong is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxx View Post
    BAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

It's not how many edges you have on the snow. It is how you turn in the snow. Stop talking out of your ass.
    Talking out my ass? Typical hater response.

It is simple buddy, Snowboards have two edges, Skis have four. There you go, straight from my ass to you Jaxx.