Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are Novice runners overcrowding the races?

I just got a new fitness watch for Christmas. I am suddenly feeling really confident about signing up in the pro class for a bunch of races next year.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    Your topic does bring up an interesting point.. I've run most every 5k in the SLC area for the past 5 years. What I'm finding though is that most of the runners in those events seem to be very experienced marathoners (5-6minute milers). In most cases, I think its the opposite issue. Those of us who run a 10 minute mile are being over crowded by the "pros".
    2020 Jeep Gladiator (2" Lift, 37" Tires, Falcon 3.3 Shocks, Lockers, Sliders)
    2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (Hunter Edition)
    2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EFI EPS (Browning Edition)
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW (~800HP/1400TQ)
    Yukon Charlies 930 Trail Series Snow Shoes
    5.11 Tactical Coyote Boots

The random world and adventures of BruteForce

Yes, there are a lot of new runners becoming interested in the sport. This is a great thing for the running community! Some people may be upset because runners who they feel are not competitive are filling up the races. Most high caliber races like Boston are changing their qualifying times to ensure that folks in the front of the crowd can get a spot. As for other first come, first served races, remember that the reason marathon running has become such a mainstream thing and there are so many races is BECAUSE of interest from "novices" or the middle and back of the race. The top 10 don't pay for the race to happen, the other couple thousand entrants do.

Also remember that just because some runners may not share your competitive goals, doesn't mean they aren't testing themselves and pushing their own limits. That's what running is about at any level! I think it's great that the sport is becoming more popular, though it does mean I have to make sure I register early for popular races that fill up quickly.

I missed this thread first time around,

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Unless youre from kenya or uganda you are a novice.
    Big Sur Marathon has these giant placards every mile with cute messages. About half way through there are two giant African-looking runners smiling and pointing at you with the caption, "In my country we call that 'walking'".

Certainly the big races are getting popular and I agree that the middle-aged female division is part of that growth. What are you going to do, though? Slow runners are not necessarily "newbies" just slower. My wife and I fall in to that middle-of-the-pack category. Definitely folks need to get in a corral by pace and walkers in the first corrals are a pain. But otherwise we have Boston Marathon as a qualifying-only race and I say keep the rest first-come first-served.
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

Yes! They are.