Thread: Does anyone know this snake?

Does anyone know this snake?

Hiking in the Sand Cove we encountered a rattlesnake.

But I'm curious, what kind of rattlesnake it is. Anyone a snake-expert?

Name:  comp1_IMGP9615a..jpg
Views: 297
Size:  192.6 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Richie View Post
    Hiking in the Sand Cove we encountered a rattlesnake.

But I'm curious, what kind of rattlesnake it is. Anyone a snake-expert?

Name:  comp1_IMGP9615a..jpg
Views: 297
Size:  192.6 KB
    Nice pic!

The NPS lists the Western Rattlesnake as the only Rattlesnake in Zion, and thus that makes it a good candidate. Where is Sand Cove?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crotalus_oreganus

The pattern on the back is 'highly variable', which means don't be too picky on what the other pictures look like.

See also here:

http://www.canyoneeringusa.com/rave/1007bush/index.htm

Tom

Tom's right. Western rattlesnake. Many variation on this rattler.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crotalus_viridis

is another that is in Idaho and Wyoming.

Tom, Sandcove is part of the Coyote Buttes North Area.

Am I wrong, or is the Western rattlesnake one of the more poisonous?

I am no snake expert, but I have studied the pictures of this snake, the Western rattler and the Prairie rattler. I think the markings are more similar to the Prairie Rattler. For more information about these snakes go to my website http://www.fossilbackpackinggear.com...us-snakes.html. Click on the name of the snake next to the picture. Whichever one it is, Western or Prairie, You want to give it a wide berth.

Another point on this snake is that the Western and Prairie rattlers were thought to be the same breed of snake. But is now recognized as 2 separate breeds. They may share a den together. However, It's really a mute point if you get bitten.

"Western Rattlesnake" is the species, of which there are many subspecies, the Prarie Rattler being one. In Utah, there are two subspecies of the Western Rattler, the Great Basin Rattlesnake, and the Midget Faded Rattlesnake. If Sandcove is by Coyote Buttes, then it is most likely a Midget Faded Rattlesnake. The Great Basin Rattlesnake is found in Zion, but rattlesnakes from South Central and South East Utah are Midget Faded ones.

Nat

You are all wrong.. I know this snake.. we had a conversation a few months back his name is Frank.. Sheesh
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

I've a got it right, Western Rattler is the species, with Prarie Rattler, Midget Faded Rattler and Great Basin Rattler beeing subspecies of the Western Rattler? And in the Coyote Buttes area it's most likely beeing a Midget Faded?

Anyway I guess we where lucky hearing the rattle and paying attention where we were going to because the rattler was right in the way we were heading.

Quote Originally Posted by TooeleCherokee View Post
    You are all wrong.. I know this snake.. we had a conversation a few months back his name is Frank.. Sheesh
    HAH! Nice answer.

Quote Originally Posted by dioscuriII View Post
    As a french guy not fluent in English, I don't understand what means this answer. Could somebody help me, please ?

Philippe

Quote Originally Posted by Philippe View Post
    As a french guy not fluent in English, I don't understand what means this answer. Could somebody help me, please ?

Philippe
    It was a sarcastic reply, I replied directly to the question asked in the title of this post instead of to the meaning that the OP was going for :)
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

It was a sarcastic reply, I replied directly to the question asked in the title of this post instead of to the meaning that the OP was going for :)
    Thank you for your answer, but who is Frank Sheesh ?

I don't know the name of the snake (I just know it is a bull snake) who asked me for a lift during my last trip in Utah because it was not very talkative when I let it come into my SUV.

Name:  Bull Snake under .jpg
Views: 218
Size:  75.4 KB

Philippe

I don't know the name of the snake (I just know it is a bull snake) who asked me for a lift during my last trip in Utah because it was not very talkative when I let it come into my SUV.

Name:  Bull Snake under .jpg
Views: 218
Size:  75.4 KB

Philippe
    Yikes!

he introduced himself to me as earl. me thinks he speaks with forked tongue.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Frank is usually a first or given name. Sometimes it's a last or surname.

Sheesh is a slang term used variously to express disbelief, surprise, annoyance, etc

with his sarcastic answer he was making a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by trackrunner View Post
    Frank is usually a first or given name. Sometimes it's a last or surname.

Sheesh is a slang term used variously to express disbelief, surprise, annoyance, etc

with his sarcastic answer he was making a joke.
    Thank you, Trackrunner.

Philippe