Thread: Silver Fork

Silver Fork

Silver Fork is a great trip for a first of the year trip. Not too steep, not too far from the valley, and good places to refuel after.

My dad had some surgery 2 weeks ago and got the ok from the Dr. to go do a light trip. We parked at the lower lot at Solitude and the wind was howling. Once we got on the trail the wind died down for us, but you could hear it ripping along on the ridge line above us.

We stopped about 400 yards of the point mentioned in guidebooks as the spot to head back down. This took us about 50 minutes moving time to get to.

After we headed down the hill to Silver Fork Lodge and had an awesome lunch. They have some great food, and I enjoyed their reuben as we sat by the crackling fire watching the snow blow. Man I love Utah.

Hope to get out and do lots of trips on the shoes this year.

For some reasons I had lots of snow building up on the rear portion of my MSR Denali Evo Ascents. Anyone ever dealt with this? Maybe some wax would prevent it in the future?

Also, we saw a sign speaking of a man who was killed in an avalanche in the area and to keep an eye out for his backpack/gear.. It said January, but not the year. Anyone know when/where this took place?

Let's Roll

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Cool, looks like a fun time. Did you dig any geocaches out of the snow?
    Blog | FB

Quote Originally Posted by Udink View Post
    Cool, looks like a fun time. Did you dig any geocaches out of the snow?
    There's not too many winter friendly caches in the area. I might need to change that.
    Let's Roll

Cool report! Very nice! I need more exercise options. Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Glockguy View Post
    Also, we saw a sign speaking of a man who was killed in an avalanche in the area and to keep an eye out for his backpack/gear.. It said January, but not the year. Anyone know when/where this took place?
    http://utahavalanchecenter.org/accident_meadows_1272010

Area known as the Meadow Chutes. 27 January 2010.

Sad deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC View Post
    http://utahavalanchecenter.org/accident_meadows_1272010

Area known as the Meadow Chutes. 27 January 2010.

Sad deal.
    Yeah I remember this accident. I do believe that the conditions forecasted that day were Moderate (which is when most avalanche deaths occur) with pockets of Considerable.

I hope when you guys are out there snowshoeing that you are carrying beacons, shovels and probes in case of a burial. It can happen, and it does, not just to skiers or riders.

Cool report otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Nebz View Post
    I hope when you guys are out there snowshoeing that you are carrying beacons, shovels and probes in case of a burial. It can happen, and it does, not just to skiers or riders.
    You mean, just like the guy that was killed?

Buying that stuff just gives a false sense of security. Learn how to avoid getting in an avalanche. In the Wasatch, around 50% of folks who die in avalanches die from trauma.

Get some knowledge! That'll be way more important than tools to use when you've lost the game.

Merry xmas and be safe out there!