Thread: 4WD in deep sand

4WD in deep sand

deleted

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I don't think the difference between the All-Terrains and the Rugged Trails will be very noticeable in dry sand. You would definitely notice a difference on packed dirt, rocks, etc., but since traction in the sand is so ephemeral to begin with, there's not much difference between a good all-season truck tire and a good all-terrain tire. I would use up the remaining tread in your current tires and wait to buy the All-Terrains if I was in your position.

Unless you're going across sand dunes (which it doesn't sound like you will be), you should be fine simply airing down. I've also found that speed is the single best way to get through sand, unless there are a lot of obstacles to get in your way since you'd have reduced steering control at speed.
    Blog | FB

Good info. Unfortunately now some people I've talked to have me paranoid just driving on the highway with the random used tire that got put on, especially since it's on the front. Leaning towards early replacement...

I've run an odd used tire in the past and never really worried about it, but I would definitely rotate it to the rear. Better to have a matched set in front, and better to have a blowout on the rear as well if you don't trust the used tire.
    Blog | FB

Sorry this wont help your decision any and not meaning to highjack your thread but I have heard from a couple people that one can drive (legally ) ATV's on the V. Cliffs/Paria National Monument backroads? Anyone know the answer to this? I mean I could just call and find out but where is the fun in that!

Example- I teach with an older gal who said she has taken her ATV to whitepocket a couple times and she is straight as an arrow, squeaky clean law obiding type citizen!

Quote Originally Posted by mattandersao View Post
    Sorry this wont help your decision any and not meaning to highjack your thread but I have heard from a couple people that one can drive (legally ) ATV's on the V. Cliffs/Paria National Monument backroads? Anyone know the answer to this? I mean I could just call and find out but where is the fun in that!

Example- I teach with an older gal who said she has taken her ATV to whitepocket a couple times and she is straight as an arrow, squeaky clean law obiding type citizen!
    if it is in arizona, maybe it is correct. arizona does register golf carts and atv's for use on public roads under certain circumstances.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

I have seen your tires and I think you are going to be fine especially if you drop your psi down to 25.
    Plus,the sand is going to be more solid with the lower temps.

but if not... at least you have a high jack, come along, beer and plenty of time on your hands to get unstuck

I have had my 2wd Ranger at the sand dunes several times and my tires are hardly new. I seldom air down the tires because I have to drive it home when I'm done. A couple of things I have learned, Momentum means a lot, don't stop on soft sand unless you are on a somewhat steep downhill, take a good pump or compressor in case you need to air down. shift up and give it he!!
    Your Tacoma will be fine and better tires won't make a big difference in the sand.

Name:  dunes 050810 038 (&.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  20.4 KB

is that a huffy hanging in your garage

Awww come on! It's my wife's K2 cruiser, I swear!

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    is that a huffy hanging in your garage

Hey nice looking BFG AT's. That all I run I my Toyota's.

I have the BFG all terrains on my truck and they have about 62,000 miles on them. I have been thinking about getting them replaced. Big O tires is where I purchased them orginally and they have been trying to get me to buy their brand. They claim that BFG sold there rights to another company that is making them with a cheaper compound and that they have had problems getting them to balance and the durability has gone down the toilet. This ownership transfer supposedly happened about 3 years ago. I would be interested in finding out if there is any merit to this and I would welcome any info or response. I really have been pleased with this brand and model in years past, but I would hate to waste 1200.00 if their standards have been lowered.

Big O sucks.

I just got 4 new 17" BFG TA's at Discount Tire for $900 including all the warranties. I don't have any information on the rights transfer, but I can tell you I got over 45,000 miles on my last set of BFG's purchased in summer 09, and I give them hell. They are only warrantied to 40,000. They have always been susceptible to balance issues, but Discount balances them for free every time they go out. I find I need them balanced about every 10-15,000. If you do any kind of far-out 4wd, you want the BFG's, if only for the bomber sidewalls.

To repeat, Big O sucks. I wouldn't believe anything they told you. You said it yourself, "...trying to get me to buy their brand."

Thanks for the information. I have had good luck with Discount tires, I bought yokahoma geolanders for my wifes suv from them recently.