Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wahweap Hoodos via Cottonwood Road?

Ah! Brainrocks I have heard of thanks! I might take a run out there this Winter. Thanks!
    Ok. I promised some pictures so here we go

Disclaimer: I really love brainrocks stuff so I really enjoyed that hike. But I'm not sure if other people would like it the same. So don't blame me if you're disappointed

The start of the hike is at the Buckskin Trailhead on HRVR. Just follow the wash. After a while the walls are coming closer then they open again. After a while the walls are coming closer again and it fells like walking through a gate. Here's a picture of this part:

Name:  comp1_IMGP9838..jpg
Views: 370
Size:  126.0 KB

In some distance you see a round shaped dome. The brainrocks are just in front of that mountain. Either you follow the wash until there's a sandy wash coming from the left side. Follow that wash for a few hundred yards before hiking up the slickrock to the right. Or you just walk cross country with the mountain in front of you.

Here's what it looks like there:

Name:  comp1_IMGP9868..jpg
Views: 368
Size:  116.2 KB

Name:  comp1_IMGP9866..jpg
Views: 374
Size:  148.0 KB

This is the dome shaped mountain I was talking about but now from a closer view:
    Name:  comp1_IMGP9871..jpg
Views: 371
Size:  150.3 KB

In distance you can even see the Top Rock in the CBN area, so it's really worth hiking up the mountain:
    Name:  comp1_IMGP9910..jpg
Views: 430
Size:  136.1 KB

Other direction (HRVR):
    Name:  comp1_IMGP9922 (4)&#4.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  97.6 KB

Name:  comp1_IMGP9909..jpg
Views: 398
Size:  153.8 KB

Name:  comp1_IMGP9941..jpg
Views: 367
Size:  140.8 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Hello Tanya !

Are you thinking about the 3 guidebooks to which I collaborated (PTS) ? In that case, thank you for your comment.

You and Bo will publish a guide book ? It will probably be as good as is your wonderful website, I can't wait to buy it during my next trip in the Southwest (probably in My / June 2011) if it is not available before on Amazon.fr

I love your picture of Willis Creek with the 2 girls !

Have a nice day

Philippe, your french big fan !

Quote Originally Posted by jdgibney View Post
    Right on! We're also going on the 25th. My best bud and I are renting a 4wd SUV, hopefully that'll be good enough for the trek! We're crashing in Page Monday night and plan on getting to the road to Wire Pass by sunrise. Haven't planned out the day yet though...
    What are the odds of that! We are taking a 5 day trip that way, but haven't really planned out the details yet. Not sure if we are going to stay in Kanab or Page yet, but I guess I better get things booked and ready. I would love to be there at Sunrise also and spend the day till sunset. We will be in a White Tacoma with the licence plate DIRTNUT. I am sure I will run into you, unless the weather sucks.

Bogley BigShot
    My 2 favorite trips to the Wave were during blizzards! The first time we had to go because we were looking for this cool arch and the deadline for our magazine article was on Monday, Bo only had weekends off, so we headed in a blizzard. That main road through there is NOT good when wet - they are not joking when they say that. It was not snowing yet when going up to the arch but began as we were getting off that mountain. That was scary!!! ....but the hike to the wave was cool. Bo got a photo with at least a foot of snow on top of my hat as we were almost to the car.

Next snowy trip was on purpose! Great day... more of a day after a storm sort of trip. I got my favorite pictures from there then.!

http://www.zionnational-park.com/coy...ttes-paria.htm
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Bogley BigShot
    I am!

Hi Philippe! I am your fan as well! Your photography and book are magnificent!

Richie! You are quite the photographer as well! Wonderful shots!

Are you thinking about the 3 guidebooks to which I collaborated (PTS) ?
    Philippe, if you're talking about Photographing the Southwest: These books have a special place in my bookshelf. They're great!!!

@ tanya : You're Willis Creek pictures is exceptional beautiful.

Bogley BigShot
    Thanks guys. I love that one too. Here is one of my favorite Wave photos. Bo surfing on a snowy day at the Wave.

Richie! You are quite the photographer as well! Wonderful shots!
    You're kidding. On that day I was really disappointed with my pictures.

Bogley BigShot
    Both of you and Philippe, make me embarrassed to show mine.

But then I don't claim to be a photographer. Just Bo's tag along. Someone has to slow that man down.

pph (made up by Bo. He rates my hiking time in pph - photos per hour)

Richie, that looks amazing! I'll have to hunt for those on another trip. Great shots!

What do people here use for photog' gear?

I'm primarily a sports photographer, but for my last trip I brought my Nikon D3, rented a 17-35 2.8 and also had a 35-70 and 70-200. Getting used to hiking with camera gear was a little strange but, I'm getting there!

Wes, we'll keep an eye out! We've basically got 3 days to explore Tues-wed, as we're flying in Sun evening and home Thurs morning. St. George Sun night, Page Mon night, Kanab Tues night and Vega$ Wed night.

PS, as if I wasn't already unproductive... this forum looks like it might become even more of a drain on my .... responsibilities ;)

@ jdgibney:

While reading the thread again I saw that tanya already mentioned Coyote Buttes South and White Pocket. You should really think about that, when you're able to get a permit. I must admit that I liked both almost more than the Wave. If the driving there is to hard for you, you could think about booking a trip with Steve from Paria Outpost. That's what we did. It's $175 per person (2009) including barbecue and we were not disappointed.

If you do one of the shorter hikes that don't need a whole day (like Wahweap Hoodoos, or the Rimrock Hoodoos) you could also think about driving to Alstrom Point (if the Dirt Road is in good condition). You have a great view of Lake Powell from there.

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wes242 View Post
    Not sure if we are going to stay in Kanab or Page yet, but I guess I better get things booked and ready.
    Mt. Carmel Thunderbird, home of the ho made pie.

Bogley BigShot
    Can I hire you as my advertising manager Shawn.

If you do stay there... ask for rooms in the 16 building with the log furniture - upstairs is the best with the vaulted ceilings.

All but 4 rooms on the entire property have been totally renovated, but that log stuff is expensive, so it's not in every single room yet. Its 17 miles from Kanab, so if you are not visiting Zion too, then its a bit out of the way.

Whoa, when did you sneak in and take a picture of my bedroom?

Bogley BigShot

Quote Originally Posted by tanya View Post
    Thanks guys. I love that one too. Here is one of my favorite Wave photos. Bo surfing on a snowy day at the Wave.
    Tanya, you say that you are not a photographer but I have noticed that you have done quite a lot of good pics !
    This one of the Wave is excellent, very good framing with Bo surfing just at the right place.

One of my pictures of the Wave that I prefer is also with a human beeing on it, I call it "Discovering a strange world" :

Name:  Discovering a st&#114.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  78.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Richie View Post
    Philippe, if you're talking about Photographing the Southwest: These books have a special place in my bookshelf. They're great!!!.
    Yes, I am talking about these guidebooks. Thank you for your comment. I was very happy to help my friend Laurent Martres for these books (for example, I wrote the chapter about Coyote Buttes North), to help people discovering the wonders of the Southwest.

Your pictures of Brainrocks are very nice ! I have a series of pictures of this place on my website under the name of Edmaier's secret (4 pages). Durring my visit, I missed the beautiful lace rocks on your last picture, but I found a kind of small Wave that I like :

Name:  Slickrock wave on.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  86.8 KB

Philippe

Hi Philippe! I am your fan as well!
    I hope we will have the chance to meet again, the last time it was too short !

Philippe

Wonderful photos, I have so much to learn