Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wahweap Hoodos via Cottonwood Road?

Wahweap Hoodos via Cottonwood Road?

My first post (save for my introductory newb post), so please bear with me :)

We are planning a very short late January trip to southern Utah/northern Arizona to hike to the Wave. We have one day before and one day after free and on the day before, we'd like to check out the Wahweap Hoodoos (weather permitting). I've read that you can access the Hoodoos via Cottonwood Road but the last info I could find was from last spring and there were questions on the conditions of these roads. I'm wondering if anyone hear has been there recently and knows if we'd have a shot to get there via the short hike. our plan is to try to get to them while the light is still low for some good photography before heading down to Page to check out Lower Antelope Canyon.

I hope I posted this in the right section. Thanks in advance!
    -Josh

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Last info I heard was that CCR is cloesd because of a rock-slide 10 miles north of Highway 89. The turnoff for the Wahweap Hoodoos would be before that rock slide (BLM 431 - the turnoff isabout 1,2 miles when you're coming from the south). I'm not sure if they completly closed CCR or if you're able to drive to turn off.

Hope someone has better information

Richie

Quote Originally Posted by Richie View Post
    Last info I heard was that CCR is cloesd because of a rock-slide 10 miles north of Highway 89. The turnoff for the Wahweap Hoodoos would be before that rock slide (BLM 431 - the turnoff isabout 1,2 miles when you're coming from the south). I'm not sure if they completly closed CCR or if you're able to drive to turn off.

Hope someone has better information

Richie
    Thanks, Richie! Welcome to the forum, fellow newbie! Just read you were planning a trip out there too, hope all goes well!

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    No one will be able to tell you road conditions out there, that far in advance. This road is mostly on grey clay, and can become impassable when wet.
    It is quite a long drive once you turn off the Cottonwood road.

It is quite a long drive once you turn off the Cottonwood road.
    I've done that road. If in good condition (!!!!!!) it's an easy drive and to me it didn't seem so long. If I remember correctly it was about 10 miles from CCR.

No one will be able to tell you road conditions out there, that far in advance.
    Sure, you're absolutely right. Sometimes you can't tell from one day to the next if a thunderstorm comes down over the dirt road.

Thanks, Richie! Welcome to the forum, fellow newbie! Just read you were planning a trip out there too, hope all goes well!
    Thank you.

Bogley BigShot
    Hi Josh,

Winter is the worst because even if its not raining or snowing, then snow on the side of the road is often melting onto the middle of the road. That road is horrible when wet. The hike itself might be really muddy too in the winter since its through a shallow wash. As Kurt said, you cannot know in advance on that road, its hit and miss in the wet months. I love this hike and its certainly not a mid-summer's hike. It's more of a spring or fall in dry conditions sort of thing. I don't post it, but there is a short cut drive to it. I think the hike is easy enough that people should do it to get to them. I think the road out to it however would be bad in the winter. It's remote and dirt - or mud depending on the day. It took Bo and I a couple of times out there to find the short cut, but really --- the hike is wonderful. Don't do the short cut even if you find it. It is published a friend of mines book. (hint - French photography book)

http://www.zionnational-park.com/wahweap-hoodoos.htm
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Listen to the new guy Kurt, you may learn a thing or two about southern Utah

I have a trip planned to the area in late February and I already have plans A B and C depending on weather/road conditions.

Tanya, thank you for writing and sharing a beautiful shot :) . I have all three of the books (assuming you're talking about what I think you're talking about), and they have been my main inspiration for exploring and have me even considering trying to find a way to temporarily move to the southwest (possibly Colorado with a friend) as a base to explore/photograph more. I'm re-considering trying this during the winter, and saving for another trip (of which I hope there will be plenty more) to the Southwest.

Any suggestions on what we can do the day before we hike to the wave instead? our basic itinerary is:
    Sunday evening, arrive in Vegas from the east coast (me from NH and my best bud from DC), drive up to St. George for the night... Monday we were going to try to check out the Wahweap Hoodoos in the early morning and then head to Page (where we're staying Monday night) and explore Lower Antelope Canyon... I suppose we can just drive to Page and check out the canyons and relax/save our energy for Tuesday when we're hiking to the Wave and exploring CBN...
    Tuesday night we're staying in Kanab, hitting Coral Pink Sand Dunes for sunrise/early morning, then driving to Valley of Fire for afternoon/sunset and then hanging out in Vegas Wednesday night...

Bogley BigShot
    Ah! A photographer! I should have read your post carefully. You want to get there and take pictures. Yes, I am sure you are thinking of the same book as I. It is well done with spectacular photos. There are hoodoos similar to the Wahweep hoodoos, the Rimrock Hoodoos, which are found just off the highway. Those you can go and photograph in the winter. The description is on the bottom of the page I gave you.

South Coyote Buttes offers great photos. Check out White Pocket as well. Bo and I went often in the winter. You will need a good 4WD for that adventure.

Red Cave is another option. If you like Antelope Canyon, you will like this one. Its a rough 4WD out there though. Crossing the river in the winter might be an issue, so perhaps this one too is best left for another time of the year. Bo and I got stuck in the river once in my land rover when there was too much water in the river.

Check out this list - These are all in the general area of the Wahweap hoodoos

If Skutumpah is in good shape, Willis Creek is easy and the photographs are spectacular!!!

http://www.zionnational-park.com/gshike.htm

Oh, wow, Tanya, Willis Creek does look amazing! If not on this quick trip, I'll have to look into that in the near future! That ZNP Website is a great resource!
    thank you!

Bogley BigShot
    Thank you and you are welcome. I am updating it so soon it will be better.

Bo and I have a book coming out soon too. The publisher is putting the final touches on it right now.

I love Willis Creek too. It's a short and easy but beautiful hike. What's also beautiful and located close to the Wave is area that some people call Brown Pocket. Loved that one too.

Richie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Listen to the new guy Kurt, you may learn a thing or two about southern Utah
    Hope I didn't say something wrong. It sounds a little bit ironic. Or did I get it wrong?

Richie

Bogley BigShot
    Never heard of the Brown Pocket. Is there Beta on the net?

Bogley BigShot
    Did you see the hikes we have at the Dunes? There are a couple of pictographs that are nice. One short and the rock art is fenced in. The other remote.

http://www.zionnational-park.com/sdhike.htm

Quote Originally Posted by tanya View Post
    Never heard of the Brown Pocket. Is there Beta on the net?
    Sorry English is not my native language so what is Beta?

I can provide some pictures when I'm at home ( here in Germany it' time to work). The area I'm talking about is a brainrocks area north of CBN.

Last edited by Richie; 12-08-2010 at 09:50 AM. Reason: Damn IPhone Autocorrect :-)

Bogley BigShot
    Beta is not really English I would say. lol

Beta is simply directions or information to a climb, hike, canyon, ect...

Ah! Brainrocks I have heard of thanks! I might take a run out there this Winter. Thanks!

Cobra Arch Maybe Too?!

Somewhat on your way to Page as well, but once again wet/dry road conditions may decide for you as to feasability? Cobra Arch is pretty cool, and the hike in to it isn't too difficult.

http://www.zionnational-park.com/paria-cobra-arch.htm

Quote Originally Posted by jdgibney View Post
    We are planning a very short late January trip to southern Utah/northern Arizona to hike to the Wave.
    My wife and I will be hitting the Wave for the first time this January too, on the 25th. I am just hoping there are no random blizzards at that time. I always got to slip in a winter hike somewhere cause I get cabin fever. I am crossing my fingers for great weather and good roads, but still taking the gas hog 4 wheel drive just to be on the safe side.

Quote Originally Posted by wes242 View Post
    My wife and I will be hitting the Wave for the first time this January too, on the 25th. I am just hoping there are no random blizzards at that time. I always got to slip in a winter hike somewhere cause I get cabin fever. I am crossing my fingers for great weather and good roads, but still taking the gas hog 4 wheel drive just to be on the safe side.
    Right on! We're also going on the 25th. My best bud and I are renting a 4wd SUV, hopefully that'll be good enough for the trek! We're crashing in Page Monday night and plan on getting to the road to Wire Pass by sunrise. Haven't planned out the day yet though...