Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: A few questions abput hikes in the area between Zion and Escalante

winter hikes

We have visited southern Utah in Feb. for the last 6 years, and I can vouch for Tanya's lodging. We love the accomodations, but have yet to see Tanya there, probably off hiking. My questions revolve around what type and thickness of wet suit or possible dry suit to wear. We hiked in to subway in 12 inches of snow and high water last Feb. without wetsuits (had them but too stupid to put them on). Would the Parunuweap hike past Powell Marker be any deeper water than the subway. What mm thickness wetsuit do most people like and what do they use for footwear. I have the 5-10s, and neoprene socks, but that is not quite enough.
    My nest question revolves around the picture of Devil's Garden. Are you speaking of the site on Hole in the Rock road or is there another one closer to Brainrock.
    Finally, is there any recent info on Hole in the Rock road. I had heard that the road had been washed out and might not be repaired until Spring. We would like to do some of the slots in this area, but I am VERY aware of the problems of non paved roads in that area.
    To the person who plans to spend half of their vacation in Oregon, My wife and I hike the gorge area every week, and we might have info if you need any.
    Randy

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Philippe, I already talked to Isa about Deer Canyon and Tank Canyon and she already told me that she wasn't so enthusiastic. But she also said that they didn't hike it to the end because of the weather conditions so there might be something interesting further down. I was especially searching for hikes on Skutumpah Road because it would be a good connection between Kanab and Page (nobody knows when they will open CCR again because of that Rock-Slide). We've already been to Willis Creek, Bull Valley Gorge seems to have a few obstacles and Lick Wash doesn't seem to be so impressive like Bull Valley and Willis Creek. I'm not sure if there are more interesting hikes in this area?

I did appreciate the loop Zebra Slot - Tunnel Slot with nice slickrock in Zebra and between the 2 slots.
    So this is one thing I wasn't sure about. I've read a lot of reports about both Canyons (Zebra seems to be very beautiful but I guess it isn't that long - Tunnel seems to be ok), but most reports didn't describe a lot of the area around. So I'm not sure if it's mostly boring wash-hiking or if the hike itself is also interesting.

Middle Reservoir: We will only do that one if we go there with Steve from Paria Outpost. I have the information that even Steve says it's a rough road there and it will take 2 hrs each way, and I know the driving abilities of Steve. He's going parts of HRVR with 60 Miles/hour . Cobra Arch would be an alternative but I'm not sure if the arch is worth 1,5 hrs. of walking in the Sand when we're not the biggest arch-fans (we're more "slickrock-lovers" ). With Cobra I also have the problem that I can find a lot about the arch but not about the surrounding area.

Richie

To the person who plans to spend half of their vacation in Oregon, My wife and I hike the gorge area every week, and we might have info if you need any.
    Randy
    Thank you Randy, but we mostly will be in the Coast Area. When I've done with the Southwest-Part I will do this planning seperatly.

We would like to do some of the slots in this area, but I am VERY aware of the problems of non paved roads in that area.
    One Canyon that is very beautiful and interesting, but which is not really a slot canyon (but that has beautiful narrows) would be Big Horn Canyon. With that one you won't have big problems with non-paved roads because Old Sheffield Road is mostly in good condition. Like on every dirt road there can be bad conditions that make the road impassable but I would say that the chance to find good road conditions on Old Sheffield Road is bigger than on a lot of other dirtroads. Also you don't have to go that far on the dirt road. I'll have to take a look on my notes, but I would say it was 1,6 miles. West Fork of Big Horn is said to have some interesting slot canyon parts, but we've only been to East Fork and Middle Fork so I can't tell you about that part.

Richie

We've already been to Willis Creek, Bull Valley Gorge seems to have a few obstacles and Lick Wash doesn't seem to be so impressive like Bull Valley and Willis Creek. I'm not sure if there are more interesting hikes in this area?
    Sorry Richie, I've only done Willis Creek, the beginning of Bull Valley Gorge and the first part of Lick Wash on Skutumpah Rooad area.

So this is one thing I wasn't sure about. I've read a lot of reports about both Canyons (Zebra seems to be very beautiful but I guess it isn't that long - Tunnel seems to be ok), but most reports didn't describe a lot of the area around. So I'm not sure if it's mostly boring wash-hiking or if the hike itself is also interesting.
    Zebra is beautiful, photogenic but short and you have to be sure it is not filled with water. Tunel slot is even shorter and is less beautiful but still interesting as the shortcut between the both canyons on a slickrock aera with moki marbles. Halfway Hollow has some good striations but the part of Harris Wash in this aera is not interesting on my opinion.

Philippe

Guess tomorrow I will have a look how fare it would be to hike Zebra first and then explore at least a part of West Fork of Big Horn Canyon.

the beginning of Bull Valley Gorge and the first part of Lick Wash on Skutumpah Rooad area.
    And how did you like it?

Lick wash didn't impressed me so much but it was still a cool hike.

Philippe

zebra and tunnel

Richie

We hiked down to zebra and tunnel two years ago. It was feb. and no one around,so very quiet. The hike starts out in cattle grazing area then enters a shallow draw. There is a nice arch and some small side slots before entering Harris wash, but I would not say that any of this compares to Buckskin. We found Zebra to be very short and it was not the best lighting or else the color was not as bright as I had hoped. Tunnel was very full of water and cold so we did not do the loop. It was a quiet nice hike, but I would probably look at another slot before going to this one again. I do admit that I enjoy the slots over the slickrock, and the area around Zebra and Tunnel does have a large variety of slickrock. You mentioned going to Antelope for pics. If you go be prepared for disney land type crowd. It is difficult to get time to take pics when the rays of light are at their best. People complain all of the time about crowds in their pictures. Apparently there are some very beautiful slots that are just as photogenic just below Antelope, but they are on Navaho land and they are off limits. I have seen pictures taken by a person who hiked in from Lake Powell and they were outstanding
    Enjoy the Oregon coast. We have only lived here for 28 years, so we have seen most of it as well.
    Randy

I've read somewhere that the East Temple Loop is not for people afraid of height. So I'm not sure about that one.
    Guess for the two days at Zion we will make our choice from these trails: Parunuweap, Jug Handle Arch, East Temple Loop and Observation Point.

Richie

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Richie View Post
    Has someone been in Neon Canyon - HITRR? This canyon seems to be so beautiful, but when I read travel reports it always sounds like the canyon is very short. I'm not sure if the hike to the canyon is also nice. Don't want to do a long, rather boring hike just for 20 minutes in a slot. Can someone tell me about the hike?

Richie
    Neon is a great route, but now you are crossing the border into "technical canyoneering". The "hike" portion is down from Egypt trailhead, to the Golden Cathedral and back out - a full day, and hot if it is hot out. Many options available if you want to do the technical part, but tends to need wetsuits and ropes and sometimes needs at least three people.

http://www.canyoneeringusa.com/utah/esca/neon.htm

Tom

Hi Tom,

it was a typo. Had read to much of different canyons on that day and so I wrote Neon and meant Zebra.

Sorry
    Richie

Guess I changed my opinion for Many Pools after seeing that pictures here:

http://www.citrusmilo.com/zionguide/manypools.cfm

Looks great!

About East Temple Loop:
    When one website says, that this is a steep route: Would you rate it more or less difficult than angels landing?

Guess I changed my opinion for Many Pools after seeing that pictures here:
    http://www.citrusmilo.com/zionguide/manypools.cfm Looks great!?
    When I did this hike there was no water (or very few muddy one) in the potholes so it was not so much interesting. Here is a picture and another than I shot there.

About East Temple Loop:
    When one website says, that this is a steep route: Would you rate it more or less difficult than angels landing?
    It is less difficult as there are no sheer drop-offs with many people on the steep route that can make you slide and fall to your death. Going up to the saddle at the foot of East Temple is quite easy, going down on the other side is much steeper and you have to choose your own best route. It is also better to have Joe's map and good skills to find the right route for this hike, choosing a wrong way can make you in trouble.

Philippe

Thanks Philippe,

in case the route down is to scary is it also worth just hiking up the saddle and back the same way?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Philippe,
    in case the route down is to scary is it also worth just hiking up the saddle and back the same way?
    Doing that, you would miss the best part of the hike. This hike is not scary, you have just to choose the right route to go down after the saddle and if you don't feeel secure you just try another route on your right or on your left.

Philippe

Thank you so much, Philippe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This hike is not scary, you have just to choose the right route to go down after the saddle and if you don't feel secure you just try another route on your right or on your left.
    Im not sure when you are arriving but it has been raining the last two days and this hike would be scary on the wet slickrock. I wouldnt be surprised if it is even snowing on the upper east side.

From Joe's website "Do not attempt this route in the rain as slippery slickrock could make many parts of this route a nightmare."

As for many pools with last couple days rain and cool temperatures I would guess those pools would be full for quite a while!

Quote Originally Posted by mattandersao View Post
    Im not sure when you are arriving but it has been raining the last two days and this hike would be scary on the wet slickrock. I wouldnt be surprised if it is even snowing on the upper east side.

You are perfectly right, this hike has not to be attempted in wet conditions when the slickrock slopes are slippery but as Richie is planning his trip in June (the dryest month of the year) I hope he will benefit from dry conditions for this hike.

Philippe

LOL JUNE! I guess I should have read the previous postings...

So I guess on one of the days we will hike the East Temple Loop.

I have to think about the other day. The Zion Narrows are beautiful according to the pictures I have seen. How deep is the water normaly at the end of June? I'm mostly afraid to do that hike because of the camera equipment. The bags I own will keep rain away but they're not waterproof. Any suggestions for that problem?

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    The Zion Narrows are beautiful according to the pictures I have seen. How deep is the water normaly at the end of June?
    The answer to that question is it depends. Normally by the end of June it's hikeable with most places ankle to shin deap with a few waist deap spots. In heavy snow pack years the narrows haven't opened until July.

I'm mostly afraid to do that hike because of the camera equipment. The bags I own will keep rain away but they're not waterproof. Any suggestions for that problem?
    dry bags, dry keg, or a case (pelican & otter box are popular brands).