Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: A few questions abput hikes in the area between Zion and Escalante

Thanks Tanya. The time of travelling there is our biggest problem we have right now. Because right now it looks like we do half Oregon and half Southwest. First one almost summer is better, in Southwest earlier would be better. Altough we hiked Big Horn Canyon last year in July and it was ok. Just camping at the Valley of Fire was horrible. I was sweating that I should have worn a wetsuit in the tent

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I had a look at your great album of Parunuweap Canyon. When you do this hike in late spring, how far can we hike it without a wetsuit? Is it possible to see some of the Narrows or is Powell Plaque the end of the trip?

Bogley BigShot
    I don't like to be in cold water so I opt for this as a summer trip and also avoid taking a wet/drysuit when I can. Others might have different opinions but I would think the best time to do Pweap is late summer/early fall while the water is warm, lower and yet its not as hot as mid-summer. Perhaps late August to early September. You have to hike in the water to see the narrows. What you would see in a winter hike without the wet/drysuit would be the river and the plaque. Bo just always walks right to things, so its never been a problem, its like he has some bat radar or something, but others have a hard time finding it. You enter the river right by it though. I went through the first time when the water was high and it was a challenge getting through the river! Lost a camera, and was exhausted at its end!

Thank you Tanya.
    Right now it looks like we will be there in the last 10 days of June.

Bogley BigShot
    Another hike that is wonderful that time of year, and which has a small window in which its usually done is Bridge Mountain to Crawford Arch.
    You would need one climber with you, but Bo is usually up for taking new people out.

There are 2 arches along this hike. Its one of my favorites.

http://www.zionnational-park.com/zio...e-mountain.htm

Name:  crawford-arch-f_.jpg
Views: 468
Size:  96.7 KB

Thanks Tanya. I already saw that one on your website. You see, I spent a lot of time on your website

Guess I will make more plans this weekend because I ordered Kelseys' book yesterday. Then I can decide how many days we need in GSENM area and how many in the Zion Area.

Bogley BigShot

Another idea "off the beaten path" in Zion : East Temple Loop. Beautiful scenery, no trail and just slickrock most of the hike, nobody, needs just a couple of hours. You can see some pictures of it in the fifth part of my report of my 2009 trip, at day 18 (Google translation do an acceptable job)

Philippe

Has anyone of you ever been to Deer Canyon and/or Tank Canyon near Skutumpah Road?

@ Philippe : Just read your report 2009 (by the way: google translation can sometimes be so funny - Unfortunately it always did only translate the first half of the page).

The pictures are so incredible beautiful

Hi Richie,

Quote Originally Posted by Richie View Post
    @ Philippe : Just read your report 2009 (by the way: google translation can sometimes be so funny - Unfortunately it always did only translate the first half of the page).
    Did you translate it in English or in German ?

Which part did you read ?

I just tried the Google translation in English (using the button on the Google bar) and the whole text that I wrote was translated in English, but some of the comments further on the page were not trandslated.

The pictures are so incredible beautiful
    Thank you very much, I am happy to read that you appreciated them.

Philippe

Did you translate it in English or in German ?
    Tried to translate it in German. But probably it could also been caused by my internet connection. It was very slow.

Thank you very much, I am happy to read that you appreciated them.
    Really. Some of the best shots I've ever seen in my life.

Really. Some of the best shots I've ever seen in my life.

I especially love that one where it says "Un petit dinosaure :" Also the Devils Garden at sunset pictures are great.

Quote Originally Posted by Richie View Post
    I especially love that one where it says "Un petit dinosaure :"
    I like this one too (it won an award at a contest organized by the photoclub of the big company where I work).

Little Finland, Nevada :

Name:  Little dinosaur..jpg
Views: 439
Size:  45.1 KB

Also the Devils Garden at sunset pictures are great.
    The light was great during a short time and I was nearly runing from one place to another shooting handeld. Sometimes, we are lucky with the light...

Philippe

16. Likes oldno7 liked this post
    Bogley BigShot
    Wow! Spectacular!

Tanya, you said you want to visit the Brainrocks Area near Buckskin Trailhead?
    Do you own "Hiking and Exploring the Paria River 5th Edition"? There's a very good chapter about that area in this book, including directions.

@ Philippe:

Have you been just exploring the Edmaiers Secret area north of the dome shaped mountain. Had a look into Kelseys book today and he describes the area south of that mountain as much more photogenic.

Bogley BigShot
    I am sure I do. I have most of Kelsy's books! He is amazing!

Tried to make a "time-shedule". The trip will be 22 days overall with half Southwest - half Oregon coast (flight from L.V. to Portland)

So the Southwest-part will look like this:

Day 1: Arriva at L.V.
    Day 2: L.V. - Valley of Fire State Park -Kanab
    Day 3: Kanab - Water Pockets (West Clark Bench)
    Day 4: Kanab - Middle Reservoir / Sand Hills if we can make it there, if not: Cobra Arch and Paria Rimrocks or Sidestep Canyon
    Day 5: Kanab - Deer Canyon / Tank Canyon - Escalante
    Day 6: Escalante - Phipps Arch (but not starting at Escalante River Trailhead but Old Sheffield Road)
    Day 7: Escalante - Not planned yet
    Day 8: Escalante - Cannonville Slot Canyons - Springdale
    Day 9: Zion - East Temple Look
    Day 10: Zion - Not planned yet
    Day 11: Half Day at Zion - Las Vegas
    Day 12: Flight to Portland

I'm not sure about a few things:
    The day that is not planned in Escalante: We could either go to a slot canyon, then Zebra and Tunnel Slot come to my mind. But we prefer colorful slickrock (like Yellow Rock or Big Hor Canyon). But I'm not sure which area would be a nice spot for that. I#ve seen a lot of great picks from around Sheffield Road but not much of directions.

Deer Canyon and/or Tank Canyon: I found that one on Kelseys book. There are not many picks around in the internet. Has anyone been there and can say somethings about those canyons?

Richie

Interesting schedule with seldom seen places !

I did appreciate the loop Zebra Slot - Tunnel Slot with nice slickrock in Zebra and between the 2 slots.

I've never been in Deer Canyon and Tank Canyon but Isa & Steffen were not so enthusiastic than Kelsey when they wrote a short report about it here.

Philippe