Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: A few questions abput hikes in the area between Zion and Escalante

Ok, drybag is what I have to google for. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richie View Post
    Ok, drybag is what I have to google for. Thanks.

I use these a lot and they hold up well.
    http://pacoutdoor.com/water-gear/vie...htweight-carry

Thanks for the link.

I'm still not sure about the second day (too much hikes to decide from). East Temple Loop on the first day, but on the other day: Parunuweap, Zion Narrows or Observation Point....

Bogley BigShot
    If you have never done Zion Narrows, its magnificent!

East Temple Loop is a so so hike when you want away from the crowds. Love Pweap... think its June when you are going? If so I would opt for those. Pweap is a long, hard hike. Zion Narrows for someone that hikes often is a medium hike. East Temple Loop is fairy easy in comparison and good when you want an easy day. The Bighorn are getting really common in that area.

If so I would opt for those.
    For which of those? East Temple + Pweap, East Temple + Narrows , or Pweap and Narrows?

East Temple Loop is a so so hike when you want away from the crowds.
    What do you mean with "so so hike"?

Bogley BigShot
    It means if I were traveling a very long way to come to Zion, and had not done some of the parks best hikes, this would not be one I would do. I love East Temple Loop but I live right by the park and can do any of them anytime. Parunuweap and Narrows are great hikes. I love Many Pools too, but its a "so so" hike.

I should go back a read this thread to see what you have done. If you have not done Zion's classics, you should start there. They are magnificent and Zion Narrows and Angels Landing are at the top of the magnificent list! !

Those that have hiked a lot in the park tend to be like me and enjoy the east side of the park more than the Canyon, but first you must experience the Canyons best to appreciate the rest. ~in my humble opinion~

Hikes that we have done so far are Scouts Lookout. Didn't made it to Angels Landing because of my fear of hight in combination with the number of people up there was too much for that one. We also did the Hike to Hidden Canyon and Canyon Overlook. It just thought that Narrows+Parunuweap would be a bad idea because both are Canyons. I was thinking to do one "Canyon Hike" and one with Scenic Overlooks. We also have another half day that is not planned yet.

Bogley BigShot
    So you have almost been to Angels Landing and almost been to Observation Point. A lot of Parunuweap is hiking over slickrock and you can check out Checkerboard Arch along the way. Its not an easy, quick hike getting into the canyon itself.

Okay, I can agree with East Temple Loop.

Some other option where you can get up high on the east side: Lady Mountain... best view in Zion! Need to take along a climber though. Progeny Peak and Two Pines Arch are nice options. I can't say I have a favorite out of Many Pools, Progeny and East Temple Loop. I like them all.

http://www.zionnational-park.com/hik...ional-park.htm

and almost been to Observation Point.
    Really? I guess from Hidden Canyon to Observation Point it's still a long way to go??

Some other option where you can get up high on the east side: Lady Mountain... best view in Zion! Need to take along a climber though. Progeny Peak and Two Pines Arch are nice options. I can't say I have a favorite out of Many Pools, Progeny and East Temple Loop. I like them all.
    When I have read it right on your website, Lady Mountain and Progeny Peak both need climbing skills. So I guess this won't be the right stuff for us. I guess Many Pools can be on a half day? Because we have to full days and on the third day we head for L.V. where we want to arrive in the afternoon which means we could do Many Pools on that day (According to your website 2 hrs).

So what do you think about:

1. East Temple Loop
    2. Zion Narrows
    3. Many Pools

?

Bogley BigShot
    A ways yes, and its a fun hike to the point. I have always liked the views from along the trail better than the end.

1. East Temple Loop
    2. Zion Narrows
    3. Many Pools

That sounds like a plan. You should get some great photos.

Ok, I guess I have most of our trip planned right now. Here's what it looks like:

1. Arrival in Las Vegas
    2. Las Vegas -> Kanab
    3. Kanab -> Water Pockets of West Clark Bench
    4. Kanab -> Middle Reservoir if we do the guided tour because of the deep sand there. Otherwise Sidestep Canyon or Cobra Arch
    5. Kanab -> Tank Canyon -> Escalante
    6. Escalante -> Phipps Arch starting from Old Sheffield Road
    7. Escalante -> West Fork Big Horn Canyon or Zebra and Tunnel Slot
    8. Escalante -> Cannonville Slot Canyons -> Zion
    9. Zion -> East Temple Loop
    10. Zion ->Zion Narrows
    11. Zion - Many Pools -> Las Vegas
    12. Las Vegas -> Portland
    13. Portland -> Cannon Beach -> Ecola State Park -> ?
    14. ? -> Three Capes Scenic Route -> Lincoln City
    15. Lincoln City -> Yachats -> Heceta Heads -> Coos Bay
    16. Coos Bay -> Golden and Silver Falls -> Sunset Bay State Park
    17. Coos Bay -> Crater Lake
    18. Crater Lake -> Sisters
    19. Sisters -> Salem
    20. Salem -> Portland
    21. Portland
    22. Departure

Bogley BigShot
    Great Schedule! Enjoy!

There are some really stoner hikes along the Cottonwood Wash Road which is easily accessible. The area around the Cockscomb is out of this world.

Bogley BigShot
    What are your favorites. I would like to explore that area this summer.

But I think CCR is closed because of a rock slide.

2009 I hiked Yellow Rock. This one is really incredible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Richie View Post
    So I guess on one of the days we will hike the East Temple Loop.

I have to think about the other day. The Zion Narrows are beautiful according to the pictures I have seen. How deep is the water normaly at the end of June? I'm mostly afraid to do that hike because of the camera equipment. The bags I own will keep rain away but they're not waterproof. Any suggestions for that problem?
    I have not done Joe's East Temple Route, but I have wandered some in the area. I think if you were turned back by Angels Landing, you will not be able to do the East Temple Route. http://www.citrusmilo.com/zionguide/easttemple.cfm

The weather and conditions in June are highly variable. The Narrows could be open and wonderful, or it could be closed due to the spring flood. It can be very hot out, in which case spending all day in the sun (on many of the routes suggested) is unlikely to be fun.

I have done Tunnel and Zebra in early March, and it was OK. so-so is an American expression meaning 'mediocre' or not worth it, or "OK". Bighorn from the Sheffield Road takes you into much the same area - in fact, might be exactly the same area, just that the two authors use different names.

If open, the Zion Narrows is an awesome hike. You might want to rent gear for that at Zion Adventure Company in Springdale. We will not know if the Narrows is hikable in June until we get close to the time of your trip.

I hate to be the sour puss here, but people have tossed out a lot of suggestions that sound very unreasonable to me, for YOU, in JUNE.

I would also throw out the West Rim Trail as an option, from the top. The terrain at the top near Lava Point is very different from the Canyon floor. You can hike out the West Rim Trail a ways (for instance to Potato Hollow) and then hike back. Or you could do the through-hike, but it is quite a long ways (16 miles).

Tom

Bogley BigShot
    I agree with all that Tom said, except I think Joe got his hike from Bo and I and its just a little slickrock scrambling from Canyon Overlook and then hike on slickrock, through a wash and out onto the highway near the tunnel, a bit up from where you started. Its not going up East Temple. I don't remember anything bad in it except the scrambling at first, but then I have no fear of hikes. Perhaps Tom is right on with that as well.

Hi Tanya,

I don't remember anything bad in it except the scrambling at first, but then I have no fear of hikes.
    Do you mean "I have no fear of heights" (I am not sure...) ?

I agree with you that there is nothing bad in the East Temple Loop, but some "average" tourists who are not used to steep slopes of slickrock and who have more or less fear of hights could feel not confortable in the descent after the saddle (especially if they don't choose the easiest route).

Philippe

I have done Tunnel and Zebra in early March, and it was OK. so-so is an American expression meaning 'mediocre' or not worth it, or "OK". Bighorn from the Sheffield Road takes you into much the same area - in fact, might be exactly the same area, just that the two authors use different names.
    It depends on what you mean with same AREA. Big Horn and Zebra are different Canyons. Zebra and Tunnel are little farther down on HITRR. We've done Big Horn from both ends (OSR and HITRR). By the way, Big Horn Canyon is one of my favorite spots in the Southwest.

This site is in German: http://zehrer-online.de/htm_hikes_bighornzebra.htm but there's a topo map. The left blue line running north/south is Big Horn - the right one Zebra. The connecting blue line running east/west is Harris Wash. The tour on that website describes a roundtrip with both canyons.

I think if you were turned back by Angels Landing, you will not be able to do the East Temple Route. http://www.citrusmilo.com/zionguide/easttemple.cfm
    I guess I have to explain. I have no trouble with steep slickrock. When I talk about fear of height I'm talking about stuff where it's going straight down. And that was my problem with Angels Landing. There are exposed parts where it's like: If you slip you fall down straight. If it's just steep but possible without CLIMBING or without going down STRAIGHT I'm fine.

Now I'm hoping that Cottonwood Canyon Road opens again until June. Right now it looks like we have one more day, and after hiking the direct route to Yellow Rock last year, I would love to do the longer hike (Box Canyon - Red Top - Yellow Rock Valley - Yellow Rock).

When I talk about fear of height I'm talking about stuff where it's going straight down.
    Ther is not that kind of stuff on East Temple loop, so you should be fine.

after hiking the direct route to Yellow Rock last year, I would love to do the longer hike (Box Canyon - Red Top - Yellow Rock Valley - Yellow Rock).
    That's a very nice hike in the wilderness with very colorful rocks, I enjoyed it a lot when I did it 4 years ago (with Isa and Steffen). The return walking on Cottonwood Canyon Road will be quite boring if you cannot manage a car shuttle.

Philippe