Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: A few questions abput hikes in the area between Zion and Escalante

Bogley BigShot
    I think I am lost and need to read the dang thread.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Why are you lost Tanya?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bogley BigShot
    Because I just show up.. post and don't ready anything. lol

Different question:
    Any recommendations for a good place to stay while at Zion? We don't like the very expensive Motel but prefer the small and clean ones. We also like Cabins to stay.

Bogley BigShot
    If you stop at my place, we have the original cabins from Zion Canyon. We don't take reservations for them though. They are just rented off the road and not every expensive. We cant take reservations because they are often rented along with my Grandmas house. I think they are about 65 a night, but they are right on the highway and it can be noisy due to traffic at night.

http://www.zionnational-park.com/cabins.htm

Name:  house-photo8..jpg
Views: 302
Size:  202.4 KB

Our BW rooms are over 100 a night, but nearby there are budget motels. That little one called "The Cabin" is cute. There are also bed and breakfasts. The Historic Smith Hotel B & B is right at the entrance to the Grand Staircase in Glendale. Its about 8 miles from Mt. Carmel jct., which is 12 miles from the east side of Zion. This side is good for you since you are visiting other things on the on east side of the park.

Right inside the park, in the canyon, is the Zion Lodge itself.

http://www.eastziontourismcouncil.or...rk-lodging.htm

In Springdale there are a lot of budget like motels. Nothing is very cheap around Zion though.

The picture looks great. Are there a lot of people in early July or do we have really a good chance at that time of the year to get one of those cabins?

Just wondering: If you can't take reservations why's there a reservation telephone number in your link?

Bogley BigShot
    We do for the Rental House, but not the cabin itself. The phone number on the side, is part of the template and its the same on every page. The hotel desk has trouble with that, but its part of the template.

How we work. We are always full in the best western in late spring, summer and fall, but we leave 10% of the rooms to rent off the road (we get a far higher price that way) and to give us rooms to work with. After we fill those rooms, or when they are almost full, (which is usually late at night) then we give people the option of our non-best western rooms. So if you show up early in the day, knowing about the room, and the house itself is not rented, then they will rent them to you. There are 2 cabins, 2 historic rooms and 2 more rooms we rent that way. The house rents often for a week or more at a time. That's why we don't rent them by reservation. We loose a week or more rent on the entire house if we take a reservation on a cabin for one night.

Number 5 is the best room of the bunch and is the same price as the cabins or a bit more, but its a good deal. The windows overlook the east fork of the Virgin River. That one has 2 queen beds in it, 2 bathroom sinks, shower and big jacuzzi tub. When Bo crashes at the rental house, he always heads for that room. Shane stayed there once with Bo and they both headed for that room. It was before we remodeled and had air conditioning going. I just always thought it funny, that in that huge house they ended up in the same room.

So I got it right? You're running that lodge?
    By the way. We we're driving up 89 a couple of times and there's street crossing where you go straight ahead when you want to go to the Escalante area and make a left into Zion. Is it that Motel that's right there?

What would you suggest to do? Hope that one of the rooms is available or reserve one of the BW rooms in advance?

Bogley BigShot
    Actually I own it along with my brother and mother.

The Thunderbird is at the Junction of SR-9 from Zion (12 miles) and US-89. At 89 you can go north to Bryce (60 miles) and Escalante or the other way to Grand Canyon.

Its in Mt. Carmel Junction. Its not really a town. The hotel sits on a golf course. There are 2 gas stations there, and a budge motel (with high prices) across the highway. My Grandma's house and another small house and our small RV park.

The towns and where I live are north of Mt. Carmel Jct. This map shows it well:

http://www.zionnational-park.com/zio...k-road-map.htm

Ok now I know which hotel it is. We we're driving past it 3 or 4 times.