Thread: Heart Rate Monitors/Trackers, etc

Heart Rate Monitors/Trackers, etc

I posted in another thread about wanting to purchase a heart rate monitor for Christmas. I would like it as a wristwatch, but I am also an iPhone user so perhaps the Nike product? Anyone used that one?

So far the "Polar" or "Garmin Forerunner 310xt" have been suggested. I need something for mountain biking, hiking, running and general exercise...multi-sport.

What do you guys use?

Thanks in advance.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Check out DCRAINMAKER.com this dude is the guru, but as I mentioned before I think the Garmin fits suite the best. Nike is out of the picture, I own two garmins and a couple polar HR monitors. Pretty sweet. One plus on the Polar is that if you have an elliptical or something at home your polar may be compatible with the interface on your machine. And the polar trainer is pretty cool to.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2009/09/g...th-review.html

Two wheels are better than four, keep the rubber side down.

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    do you want or need a GPS watch function too?

I'm going to second the Garmin Forerunner. The wristwatch may not have the big screen but it works for running, hiking, snowsports, and biking. I've got the older Garmin 305 which you can probably get for cheap. I think the new version has better software and maps. Because of the map and software issue I ended up using the online Garmin site called Garmin Connect. If you are willing to pay for the Garmin 310xt I'd say go for it. I'm too cheap and just keep using my 305. For cycling I ended up buying the wireless cadence feature and just configured the wristwatch to use it.

An iPhone is too bulky and not robust enough. The Garmin can take some abuse. Your iPhone will break and then you are going to cry because your contract isn't up.
    It's your fault, you shouldn't have been there!

Quote Originally Posted by Gambel Oak View Post
    I'm going to second the Garmin Forerunner.
    My wife's Garmin Forerunner just arrived today in the mail.

Quote Originally Posted by trackrunner View Post
    do you want or need a GPS watch function too?
    Nah, I don't think I really need GPS, but it would be nice. I will mostly use it for exercise and what not.

Thanks for the info guys. I need to do some more reading. I really want the heart rate monitor so I know when I am in the "zone.". As you know, it will help me maximize my workouts.

The Garmin 310xt is really nice, but very pricey and doesn't come with any accessories. For the price (and the number of accessories it comes with) I really like the FR60. I am still reading the review. Thanks for those links!

My brother has been training for the IronMan for the last few years and uses some sort of Garmin watch.
    I got to admit that the GPS features on his watch are pretty awesome and I really want one someday.

I have the Garmin 310xt and love it. It is water proof has a big screen and a 20 hour battery life and on and on. My father gave it to me as an early Christmas present. Most of my family are overweight, and very unhealthy. My Dad suffered a heart attack a few years back and I decided it was time to change my life style. Thanks to mountain biking and running I lost 45 pounds, and have run 3 marathons and lots of half marathons. A week before the St. George Marathon the Garmin arrived. My parents then came with us and watched me finish the race. I think it was my father’s way of showing how proud he was. Anyway it is too expensive for me to justify the purchase, but I love it.

garmin does have less expensive models that still provide heart rate and GPS tracking also.

Two wheels are better than four, keep the rubber side down.