Thread: Moab Northwest

Moab Northwest

I did my first real exploring around the Moab area this weekend. I started out by driving down into Spring Canyon and checking out the Bowknot Bend area. I explored both forks in the road once reaching the Green River, but my truck isn't the ideal vehicle for this area, so I went less than a mile in each direction before turning back. After leaving the Bowknot area, I started heading north toward I-70 on dirt roads, checking out Dubinky Well, the Needles, Juniper Arch, and Secret Spire. It was almost sundown by the time I finished up at Secret Spire, so most of the rest of the drive was in the dark. I had tons of fun and spent about eight hours off the pavement. The Secret Spire area was the most interesting, and I'm sure I could spend days exploring it on foot. I'll be back to check more of this area out, but next time I'll be on my ATV.

http://udink.org/geo/MoabNorthwest.kmz

The shelf road leading into Spring Canyon

The road through Spring Canyon

Lunch spot along Bowknot Bend

East side of Bowknot Bend

East side of Bowknot Bend

Heading to the north side of Bowknot Bend

A little tight for the F-250

Back on the shelf road coming out of Spring Canyon

Rolling sandstone hills on Deadman Point

The Needles

Dubinky Well

The road past the Needles

Juniper Arch

On the way to Secret Spire

Secret Spire

Alcoves east of Secret Spire

On the way to Tenmile Wash

I-70 near Floy

Many more photos here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/Dennis.Udink/MoabNorthwest#
    Blog | FB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

A great area to explore....great photos and report
    Randy Langstraat
    ADVENTR.CO | Anasazi Photography

Nice, I have been spending a lot of time in that area motorcycling lately. Next time if you take your ATV unload at the White Wash Sand Dunes and make a loop over thru ten mile wash and back. You won't be disappointed. Here is a map of the area. Some of these trails have been closed since the new travel map but it gives you a pretty good idea of the area. http://bookcliffrattlersmc.org/Dubinky.jpg

Awesome! I've wondered what's out in that area. Definitely going to have to hit this soon.

I went out that way early last year in my car to Secret Spire there are some decent roads but I too would like to get a little deeper out there. I been planning a few day trip around that area this spring, this time I will leave the car at home. There is so much to explore out there and is the reason it is my wife and I's favorite place.

Great photos! Another area added to my list of places to go. Man I love utah

Quote Originally Posted by wes242 View Post
    I went out that way early last year in my car to Secret Spire there are some decent roads but I too would like to get a little deeper out there. I been planning a few day trip around that area this spring, this time I will leave the car at home. There is so much to explore out there and is the reason it is my wife and I's favorite place.
    If driving a reasonable fourwheel drive and want an off road route on your way to Moab. Head south from Green River drop by the geyser, and then work your way to the Sand Dunes. Then head towards the Dead Horse Point Road. The variety of terrain is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark View Post
    If driving a reasonable fourwheel drive and want an off road route on your way to Moab. Head south from Green River drop by the geyser, and then work your way to the Sand Dunes. Then head towards the Dead Horse Point Road. The variety of terrain is amazing.
    That's the route I was planning on taking home on this trip (reversed, of course), but I spent so much time at Bowknot Bend that I had to skip some of the better 4WD routes to the geyser. I will have to do it again when the days are longer, 'cause I stop to enjoy the scenery too much to do it during winter.
    Blog | FB