Thread: Stansbury Island Single Track

Stansbury Island Single Track

We hit this last month, and the single track is really nice on the island. I don't know alot of people who are aware of this place. West on I-80 and take exit 70 (2nd Grantsville exit and follow the signs. It's got a lot to offer!

I just dropped by to see what condition my condition is in.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nice! A motorcycle looks like a great way to explore the island. I've only been out there once, in my Ford Taurus.
    Blog | FB

great video thanks for posting
    I spend a fair amount of time on Stansbury and it was nice to see it from this perspective.
    Can you post the cords of the trail head for your ride?

I hear it stays pretty rideable year around due to the location? What do think is that true?

Two wheels are better than four, keep the rubber side down.

from what I heard yesterday there is was 6-8" of snow out there and its turned into a huge muddy mess.

I haven't been out there since "THE BLIZZARD", but I suspect there is snow. If it melts though, the single track would work. It is rocky and dries out quickly.
    I didn't run my "Tracks app" to map it, but I can try to show it. I'm not real familiar with how to do it, outside of running the app.

I rode the same track again yesterday and ran my tracking app. I hope this helps.

Viewing on a mobile device? Click this link to open the map: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=106051617078461206490.000496f102470222ec29b&z=15

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    How would this be for a mtn bike?
    Slow

That is very funny In fact, most trails for me are slow!

We will definitely try this one when it dries out. It is a bit of a climb to get to the single track, but you could truck it to the trailhead if needed.
    I have never given it much thought, but this would be an awesome ride! Very technical in alot of sections, but pretty even keel in elevation for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by Garbanzo View Post
    I rode the same track again yesterday and ran my tracking app. I hope this helps.

Viewing on a mobile device? Click this link to open the map: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=106051617078461206490.000496f102470222ec29b&z=15
    Have you got any GPS coord's for where the single track starts? Looks like a great trail.

By changing the map to Sat looks like I can figure them out on my own. Thanks for the new place to go ride.

Mark

Cool, I'm glad that worked! You will not regret riding there, it is really cool.

Stansbury Island

This is very popular in the spring and fall out there. The climb is rough but the shoreline trail is great! Wonderful views! The wifey and i like to go out here and get a sun tan once in a while, I’ve ridden the trail on a TTR125 perfect bike for the switchbacks If you like to rock climb there are also places on the SE side you can foul around.

Getting there: Take I-80 westbound out of Salt Lake. About 30 minutes later, you'll reach the second Grantsville exit (#84, UT-138, near the Morton salt plant). After exiting, proceed straight (onto the crummy road) rather than turning towards Grantsville. Follow the road north as it turns into gravel and crosses the mud flats, about three miles. At the fork, stay left. There should be a "Stansbury Island Mountain Bike Trail" sign at this fork. (Look around -- this is where the trail returns after you come off the mountain.) Two miles later, you'll come to a four-way intersection. There may, or may not, be a stop sign there. Go straight through. 1.1 miles later, you should see a "Bike Trail" sign and a road branching off on the right. Turn right and drive a few hundred yards to the parking area. There are no fees (and no facilities of any kind).

Hate to say it... but I don't think the "Stansbury Island Mountain Bike Trail" is open to motorcycles or other motorized vehicles. You might want to check with the BLM Salt Lake Field Office to make sure, and if it's closed, possibly ask that it be opened to motorcycles. The SLFO Outdoor Recreation Planners are Ray Kelsey or JuLee Pallette. You can get their contact information from the SLFO directory:

http://www.blm.gov/ut/st/en/info/dir...salt_lake.html

Quote Originally Posted by SportSawyer View Post
    Hate to say it... but I don't think the "Stansbury Island Mountain Bike Trail" is open to motorcycles or other motorized vehicles. You might want to check with the BLM Salt Lake Field Office to make sure, and if it's closed, possibly ask that it be opened to motorcycles. The SLFO Outdoor Recreation Planners are Ray Kelsey or JuLee Pallette. You can get their contact information from the SLFO directory:

http://www.blm.gov/ut/st/en/info/dir...salt_lake.html
    I was wonderin'?. That is pretty cool video, but the singletrack sure didn't look like a motorcycle track? It appeared more like a hiking or biking track?

Thanks for the info. I'll keep it in mind the next time I ride this area.