Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to Freak Out Your Neighbors

How to Freak Out Your Neighbors

Name:  funneighbors..jpg
Views: 1346
Size:  83.6 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I have a spare linksys adapter at home and I am going to name it this tonight.

Oh man! This is on my "To Do" list tonight. ;)

Haha that's great. Mine is currently unlocked and named "It's unlocked, I dare ya" with some funny as hell redirects for Ip's not "listed". I pity the fool who tries to connect to it for free wifi's.
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathcricket View Post
    Haha that's great. Mine is currently unlocked and named "It's unlocked, I dare ya" with some funny as hell redirects for Ip's not "listed". I pity the fool who tries to connect to it for free wifi's.

how do you change the name of your network
    IF she isn't happy no ones happy. If she isn't happy long enough you'll unhappy with half your stuff.
    http://childbikingutah.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by StudChild View Post
    how do you change the name of your network
    if you don't know how, then maybe you shouldn't...

login to your wireless modem or router, find your wireless section, and change SSID.
    Candition.com | Canyon Conditions

<%@me = User.find_by_adventurer(params[:theking648])%>

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    Not so long ago, I used to drive around with a WAP in my car broadcasting an SSID of "PUBLIC ACCESS". Sad to see how many would hijack (or try) a WAP.
    2020 Jeep Gladiator (2" Lift, 37" Tires, Falcon 3.3 Shocks, Lockers, Sliders)
    2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (Hunter Edition)
    2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EFI EPS (Browning Edition)
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW (~800HP/1400TQ)
    Yukon Charlies 930 Trail Series Snow Shoes
    5.11 Tactical Coyote Boots

The random world and adventures of BruteForce

Quote Originally Posted by Deathcricket View Post

We have a secured WiFi connection at our place (a condo, so lots of networks show up on my Airport connection), but my iMac always defaults to someone's unsecured "linksys" connection instead . The annoying thing is that it's often faster than the connection we pay for. I have to switch it every time I activate Safari.

I would so change ours to something like the OP, but I just don't think my DH would be on board with that . Darn!
    Sonya

Art & photography blog

Facebook Studio Page

"I lost my virginity, but I still have the box it came in"

If your network has no password, I can only assume you leave it open to share with those around you. I view your open network as an open invite to use it. I also know (like DeathCricket pointed out) to be careful because some people just leave it open to mess with you.

If you logon to my network at home, and I don't add your MAC address to my firewall you will get a redirect to ChuchNorrisFacts.com. I find that redirect helps remind people that I control my network, and usually they comment on it and that is a great conversation starter for me to point out that I monitor where everyone goes on my network. I haven't had any problems yet but if I ever do, I'll lock down my SSID (by disabling DHCP, using MAC address filtering, & hiding my SSID broadcast).

I guess I am just in a real geek groove right now, so I'll keep going by just making sure you all know that your wireless networks are likely not safe. If you use WEP & WPA (as opposed to WPA2), then I (and many others) can hack you network in less than 5 minutes and be on it. Just having a wireless password to access your network only keeps out the less technical & the faint of heart.
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DiscGo View Post
    If your network has no password, I can only assume you leave it open to share with those around you. I view your open network as an open invite to use it. I also know (like DeathCricket pointed out) to be careful because some people just leave it open to mess with you.

If you logon to my network at home, and I don't add your MAC address to my firewall you will get a redirect to ChuchNorrisFacts.com. I find that redirect helps remind people that I control my network, and usually they comment on it and that is a great conversation starter for me to point out that I monitor where everyone goes on my network. I haven't had any problems yet but if I ever do, I'll lock down my SSID (by disabling DHCP, using MAC address filtering, & hiding my SSID broadcast).

I guess I am just in a real geek groove right now, so I'll keep going by just making sure you all know that your wireless networks are likely not safe. If you use WEP & WPA (as opposed to WPA2), then I (and many others) can hack you network in less than 5 minutes and be on it. Just having a wireless password to access your network only keeps out the less technical & the faint of heart.
    You know discgolf that Mac filtering does deter some people, but a person can bypass MAC filtering relatively quickly.

And if you aren't broadcasting your SSID - windows can't pick it up, but anyone using Linux NIC or MAC drivers can still pick it up, which I'm sure you are aware of....just saying.

But yea, WEP is the most insecure network "security" around. If I'm naughty I'll wardrive and look for WEP and scan for printers and leave a friendly note telling them to change encryption to at least WPA2.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

I don't know what version of Linux you are using, but using BackTrack & Ubuntu I can find the BSSID but it doesn't show up automatically.

In my experience if you use disable DHCP, disable SSID broadcast, use WPA2, & use MAC address filtering, wireless hacking isn't worth it. At that point you are better off using Social Engineering, because there is no guarunteed with wirless hacking. But if you broadcast your SSID, and you have a wireless key with fewer than 8 characters, and especially if you only use letters, your network is hackable under 5 minutes.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DiscGo View Post
    I don't know what version of Linux you are using, but using BackTrack & Ubuntu I can find the BSSID but it doesn't show up automatically.

In my experience if you use disable DHCP, disable SSID broadcast, use WPA2, & use MAC address filtering, wireless hacking isn't worth it. At that point you are better off using Social Engineering, because there is no guarunteed with wirless hacking. But if you broadcast your SSID, and you have a wireless key with fewer than 8 characters, and especially if you only use letters, your network is hackable under 5 minutes.
    Backtrack4 picks it up automatically. Ubuntu 10 doesn't automatically. Kalyway (osx) picks it up auto too.

If you are going through a lot of effort to do that - in my opinion it just makes you look like your hiding something pretty important...

But for 95% of people they wouldn't even care, which you're right.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    why just van #42? why not “FBI Mobile Smut Crimes Surveillance” or “FBI & RIAA Mobile Joint Taskforce Anti-Piracy Torrent Tracker”?

I used to keep mine open just because I'm putting a different computer on my network almost daily, as I repair computers at home. It's secured now, as my screenshot shows, but I never really was concerned too much about wardrivers or people logging on to my network. I guess it just doesn't bother me. I've got my files secured.

I do a lot of streaming inside of my network. I allow unauthenticated streaming on my trust network. So I keep it closed to the outside. I only enabled DHCP for iPhone users because (to the best of my knowledge) iPhones aren't capable of static IP addresses.