Thread: Moab Ice Climbing

Moab Ice Climbing

Quote Originally Posted by jumar View Post
    Darn, haven't done many canyons this year. But I did do Pleiades in Jan or Feb of 2010

That picture gets me excited. I'm scheduled to do Pleiades with your ol' man in January.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    That picture gets me excited. I'm scheduled to do Pleiades with your ol' man in January.
    How's the approach in the winter? I might be interested. Could see if the catalog cover shot rig was in then too. Really want to do that WI3ish ice climb down by Cedar City. Southern fried ice (a guidebook I covet owning, so, hook a feller up).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC View Post
    How's the approach in the winter? I might be interested. Could see if the catalog cover shot rig was in then too. Really want to do that WI3ish ice climb down by Cedar City. Southern fried ice (a guidebook I covet owning, so, hook a feller up).
    approach is nearly all downhill, albeit the difficulty would be the amount of snow.

Jeff, it looks like you guys rappel down first, and climb back up it? I'm no iceclimbing expert, but am curious.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

I'll probably tag along then.

You're talking about that mountain gear catalog pic right? That looked really cool!

When I ice climb I'm kinda at the mercy of Jumar and his dad as it's their spare gear that I use. A friend of Jumar and mine tried the Mountain Gear Cover route last year and found ZERO ice. I'm told the ice conditions as seen on the Mountain Gear catalog are kinda rare.

Since it was in the 2010 catalog I guess that quailies the picture for this thread.

When I ice climb I'm kinda at the mercy of Jumar and his dad as it's their spare gear that I use. A friend of Jumar and mine tried the Mountain Gear Cover route last year and found ZERO ice. I'm told the ice conditions as seen on the Mountain Gear catalog are kinda rare.
    Can't recall what size feet you have, but, I've a gob of that stuff...(to say the least). Boots, crampons, tools. I usually keep a set or three available as lenders. So, no problemo if you're in need.

Yeah, given its location and aspect, and, the very fickle nature of ice in general (and, specifically in Utar), my bet is that canyonlands area ice is very hit and miss. Planets would really have to be in alignment.

Now, some of the stuff around Cedar seems to come in quite routinely...but, there's other sniffable options near Moab (and Price, cough cough, ahem). Joes/Huntington/Maple is kinda "on the way" home too.

Keep 'er on the burner. Sounds like the road up to Pleades is doable, and, the ski tourin' up there is great too. Could almost toss a night in one of those cabins up in the La Sals as an option as well. Never been to the front side one, only the one on the southeast side.

Maybe to be discussed further at the canyon festivus party? Hopefully see you there...

Since it was in the 2010 catalog I guess that quailies the picture for this thread.

Always happy to let you borrow some of our gear. I rarely sell my gear when I upgrade. I just hang on to it for loaners. Although I haven't had to upgrade from my quarks in nearly 10 years now. Still going strong :)

Maybe to be discussed further at the canyon festivus party? Hopefully see you there...

And here is what Drawbridge Arch looked like last year on 1-10-10.

Name:  drawbridge..jpg
Views: 1498
Size:  64.7 KB

And here is what Drawbridge Arch looked like last year on 1-10-10.
    Yeah, methinks a good snowpack, bit of fairly active melt/freeze, and, a nice cold snap is required. I'd think maybe later in the season? Dunno.

Great shot! Swing and miss...hey, I take the ice tools for long hikes usually a couple times a season. Sometimes they go on long drives too...

Bogley ice fest, Moab style!

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
    You're wonderful! Absolutely wonderful!
    Keep going--you can do it, Nancy! Two more posts and you'll be able to post the spam link you're just dying to show everyone.
    Blog | FB

Quote Originally Posted by Udink View Post
    Keep going--you can do it, Nancy! Two more posts and you'll be able to post the spam link you're just dying to show everyone.

Moab Ice Climbing offers a thrilling adventure amidst Utah's stunning landscapes. Scaling frozen waterfalls and icy cliffs provides an exhilarating challenge for climbers of all skill levels. With expert guides leading the way, you'll navigate the icy terrain safely while immersing yourself in the beauty of nature. For those seeking an unforgettable outdoor experience, Moab Ice Climbing is a must-try. Whether you're a novice or seasoned climber, there's something for everyone to enjoy. To learn more about available packages and book your expedition, go to the website for their comprehensive platform, https://beacons.ai/wiccap, offers detailed information and booking options, ensuring a seamless planning process for your next icy adventure.