Thread: Fun Near Vegas

Fun Near Vegas

Hey all,

I'm going to be in Vegas on business 12/6--12/7 and was tinkering with the idea of dragging my gear along and bagging a canyon or two the weekend before (12/4--12/5).

Anyone in the area interested in joining me? Any favorites to suggest (if I go by myself I prefer to keep it at a noob level so I don't scuff myself up too much before business).

Thanks,

Kenny

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

i think canyons would be less than fun right now, but bring a thick wet suit if you go. i have no idea if the snow line has hit as low as red rocks yet, but w/ short days and access issues of longer approaches and/or difficult shuttles i'd stick to the many many many many MANY great desert peaks in the area. check out http://www.summitpost.org/southern-nevada/269648, or http://www.summitpost.org/desert-pea...ks-list/605644, or just look at a topo and find one that looks cool and go for it. my personal favorite area is lake mead area.
    signature

Quote Originally Posted by goofball View Post
    i think canyons would be less than fun right now, but bring a thick wet suit if you go. i have no idea if the snow line has hit as low as red rocks yet, but
    Descended from the top of Juniper Peak on Friday. In the north facing aspects, there's a fair bit of snow and ice. Doable, but, more payin' attention terrain than normal to be sure.

Even the lower canyon areas had a skiff of snow in the shade. And, was cold enough that some wet areas were frozen when the sun wasn't on them.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC View Post
    Descended from the top of Juniper Peak on Friday. In the north facing aspects, there's a fair bit of snow and ice. Doable, but, more payin' attention terrain than normal to be sure.

Even the lower canyon areas had a skiff of snow in the shade. And, was cold enough that some wet areas were frozen when the sun wasn't on them.
    Whoa!!! What climb??

T

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Whoa!!! What climb??
    Requiem for a Tadpole. 5 fairly longish pitches. Perfect for cold, short daze... 4th pitch variation goes up this brilliant, improbable arete (at a sandbaggish 5.8).

10 folks showed up after us for Armatron, and, thought we were in que for it. Too funny. Great route (did it a few years ago). The upper 5.6 pitches are phenominal (buckets, on superbly varnished black rock).

That side of Brownstone Wall sees a fair bit of sun right now.

Yeah, darn kids. What's with all these late starts? No way we shoulda been first up to the base of that area (at 11am!) leaving St. George in the daylight. On the walk out, we saw folks at the top or half way up gobs of stuff. Yikes! Dang cold when the sun wasn't shinin'. My bet is a few folks learned to get an early start, or, carry a headlamp, spare clothes, etc. Some of those routes have no rappel anchors (!).

Most folks rappel off that wall, it seems. Walk off takes really only around 20 minutes, and, is pretty neat. I can see why the hike up to the summit of Juniper is kinda popular. Awesome scenery.

Mussels, sandwiches and adult libations at the Three Angry Wives. Then, Trader Joes on the way back to St. George. Fun, longish day. 'Bout right.

Cheers!

The only canyon near Vegas that I know of being worthwhile is Ice Cube, and this time of year I imagine it earns the name. Death Valley has some good ones but its a haul.

There is some tech canyoneering to be found in Black Canyon. If I remember correctly there is a pretty cool tech route down to boyscout hotsprings and anther down to AZ hotsprings. Both use the hiker routes for their escape.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    There is some tech canyoneering to be found in Black Canyon. If I remember correctly there is a pretty cool tech route down to boyscout hotsprings and anther down to AZ hotsprings. Both use the hiker routes for their escape.
    boyscout is not really a tech rt., unless hauling the 300'+ rope for the one rappel and jug is desired. although the dc to bypass the rap is a little tricky in a couple spots and care is required. a tumble would not be fun. and az hot springs is no more than a scramble. on second thought skills and comfort varies, and there is some downclimbing in all the hot springs canyons i have visited. but they are very frequently visited and big chunky ropes are in place to assist (except for boyscout, no fixed rope to help at the top, at least not last tiem i was there)

there are a couple semi tech routes in teh muddy mountains that combine fantastic benchmark/point bagging highpoints w/ downclimbs/raps. both are on summitpost under muddy mountains.
    signature