Thread: Canyoneering on the Radio

Canyoneering on the Radio

Canyoneering - KUER (90.1 FM in SLC)
    Tuesday @ 7:30 am & 8:30 am

The program will feature several local (Salt Lake) canyoneers.

You can listen on-line here:
    http://www2.kuer.org/listen_live.html

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Not me though. She cut me. Cody is in the story though.

Blog Entries
    It was decent segment...I suppose I was suspecting a longer piece though...

Scott Card, Shane, and Cody were on...

I was laughing when Shane was clarifying how people should not expect clear, warm, blue water while canyoneering...haha

Btw, so will the 8:30 broadcast be a repeat? I'm thinking it will be...
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Good comments by all the above. And, a bit o' shout out for Shane's website.

Was a very good summary of the issues surrounding the movie.

Please tell me somebody recorded this

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    Please tell me somebody recorded this
    Yup, I got it in mp3 format. I'll share it if KUER doesn't post it later.
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    Yup, I got it in mp3 format. I'll share it if KUER doesn't post it later.
    Cool. I also tried the KUER link and couldn't get anywhere. The "Listen Live" link doesn't take me to a broadcast.

Haha, she called Cody 'Adamson' at the beginning and 'Anderson' at the end. Neat story though. I'm glad she used that quote from cody about the geology and attraction of the slots.

Heard it this morning on my drive to work around 8:35. Good for a general interest piece related to the 127 Hours movie. Glad they left in some of Shane's warnings about risks, and hopefully the scummy pools comment will deter the masses.

Cool, thanks. So was there a video with this too?

That was fun. I think I was interviewed for about 25 minutes. There was some serious editing! I loved the skummy pools comment, Shane. And it is true too. I gave warning upon warning about slot canyons but the only one that made it of mine was the anchors comment and the flash flooding. That movie will clearly bring a bunch of people to Utah. We will see if it lasts or if it will be a temorary spike.

BTW, anyone have any data from Zion on usage (permits/permit requests) this past year or two? Is it still going up or has it leveled off a bit?
    Life is Good

Well done you guys.

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark View Post
    Well done you guys.
    x2

You guys sounded like all professional and stuff.

Blog Entries
    Here's the MP3 of the broadcast.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

I'm amazed at the amount of time, research and effort that Jenny Brundin put into this short news piece. I know the interviews alone when combined with drive times and such took several hours or more, I think each of the interviews was about 30 minutes. Probably several more hours in editing, voice overs and special effects. I've been involved in several news projects before and they never seem to get things right or grasp what is actually being said.... but I thought Jenny did a great job. I also know she spent some time reading the canyoneering forum because she asked some great interview questions, which I know were first raised in the forums. That was a lot of effort for a 5 minute piece.

I liked Cody's trip through time comment, that was primo.... I wish I had of thought to say that.

I liked the thunderstorm special effects when Scott is talking about flash floods.

And I felt bad Don's interview ended up on the cutting room floor.... that will teach him to bring a friend to an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    That was fun. I think I was interviewed for about 25 minutes. There was some serious editing! I loved the skummy pools comment, Shane. And it is true too. I gave warning upon warning about slot canyons but the only one that made it of mine was the anchors comment and the flash flooding. That movie will clearly bring a bunch of people to Utah. We will see if it lasts or if it will be a temorary spike.

BTW, anyone have any data from Zion on usage (permits/permit requests) this past year or two? Is it still going up or has it leveled off a bit?
    Yeah, Cody and I interviewed together and it must have been 25 minutes or so as well. She had to leave the scumy pool comment in; Cody and I both made similar comments (mine about dead cows in pools and Cody about a dying deer he and his wife found in a Zion canyon last year (Fat Mans I think?))
    I was disappointed she didn't use the story I told about noobs getting hurt in Englestead Hollow last year (she could have used it on the air; I didn't even use the phrase 'harbor freight motherf--kers'). That story about noob injury could have really complimented her report, limited airtime though...