Thread: Rave Run

Rave Run

My favorite trail and favorite day of running: Early start to arrange a shuttle for the Wasatch Crest Trail. My friend Julie and I, training for the Mid Mountain Marathon, took off on an overcast day. The grey skies added a little eerie-ness to the mountains making it feel ever more wild while at the same time proffering a feeling of peacefulness and tranquility. After the grueling start up "puke hill" (nothing poetic about that!), we settled into our rhythm, slow and steady, and made our way through aspens and meadows and rocky ridges. Feeling completely at ease and euphoric I soaked in the scenery, tuned in to my breathing, and felt the effort in my legs. On down we went, dancing over pine needles getting high on the scent, and making our way back to the car. A perfect day, a perfect run.

What is your rave run??

Name:  P7030032..JPG
Views: 1057
Size:  17.9 KB

Name:  P7030023..JPG
Views: 524
Size:  16.7 KB

Name:  P7030025..JPG
Views: 567
Size:  33.2 KB
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    I don't have pictures but a couple runs stand out.

My favorite would have to be one time on a Dog Lake run. I was still in high school and the state cross country season ended but I still needed to train. But my usual training runs just wouldn't motivate me. Standing around and feeling a little blue from the standard run choices. The day was Halloween, the 31st of October. The thought crossed my mind the gate in Millcreek canyon closes tomorrow and Dog Lake will not be run able for several months. Now I was motivated.

At the trailhead there was snow on the ground. The entire trail was covered in a fine coating of champagne powder. No more than 3-4 inches tops. Not enough to posthole or slow you down but enough that as I ran the snow would fly from each stride. I was blazing trail and didn't see a single person until the end.

Another great one was a run to Kolob Arch in college. It's a 14+ miles round trip in the sand. Coach accidently left me off the roster for a major race that weekend. I was bummed about it and needed a long run that motivated me. This was run I always wanted to do but never had a chance up to that point.

The best part was running by all the people doing the same trail as an overnight or two night back pack. Everyone was shocked. On the way back they were even more shock. So shock they would stop me and give me their water, snacks and candy. It was like trick-or-treat on a run. The last mile was a sustained up hill for a mile. I ran 50 feet up the hill and walked the rest.

Great stories, Trackrunner!

Yeah, cameras and runs dont usually go together, but going up to the Crest, in my mind, always requires a camera, it's so beautiful there are always moments for a pic. :-)
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost

Some of my favorites are the Strawberry Narrows on the south side of Strawberry Reservoir. It's and out and back up to 22 miles. Includes sagebrush, aspens, raspberries, pines, and plenty of water for the dog. It's all singletrack and rarely will you see anyone else. My go to run in the summer is the Alta > Catherine Pass > Lake Mary > Twin Lakes Cutoff > Twin Lakes Pass > Alta Parking Lot. Very runnable and stays cool in the morning. It checks in at about 9.5 miles. Timpanogos is always good via the Timpooneke trail. 14-15 miles depending on where you can park.

Near Twin Lakes Pass
    Name:  IMG_1584 (Small)..JPG
Views: 601
Size:  88.8 KB
    Last edited by Gambel Oak; 11-21-2010 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Wrong Photo
    It's your fault, you shouldn't have been there!

I would love to see the map of the Alta - Alta run, that sounds awesome... you lost me with the Twin Lakes Pass part. Do you run alone? Do you ever get the creeps (like mountain lion creeps?)?
    I've been wanting to run the Timpanooke trail - whenever I hike I think that it would be a great trail to run.

I'll bet that part of the description is that Twin Lakes is also called Twin Lakes Reservoir and the same probably goes for the pass. The photo below is the best map I have of my run. It starts at the fat little Red exclamation point and follows the east loop in a counter clockwise direction. The yellow line is the the portion from the top of Twin Lakes Pass back to the switchback. At that point you just backtrack to the start.
    Name:  The Runnable Cuto&.JPG
Views: 594
Size:  115.0 KB

This one is looking back at Twin Lakes Pass from the ridge out towards Flagstaff. Yellow dots are from Twin Lakes Pass down toward the road switchback that you started on. The red dots are the road heading up to Catherine Pass trailhead.
    Name:  IMG_1588 (Small)..JPG
Views: 664
Size:  157.3 KB

Regarding mountain lions, I run alone a fair bit and have never worried about them. They want to avoid people, eat deer and attack 4 year old boys (or so I've heard). You have a better chance of being bit by a rattlesnake than attacked by a mountain lion. I guess I would rather die via mountain lion running trails than being hit by a car running the roads.

Quote Originally Posted by Gambel Oak View Post
    The photo below is the best map I have of my run.
    You can embed your map in your post if you like.

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...-a-bogley-post

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    You can embed your map in your post if you like.
    Thanks, I need all the pointers I can get. A lot of times runs are an odd mix of trails and cutoffs that are hard to explain unless you have a descent map.

My favourite trail and favourite day of running: Early start to arrange a shuttle for the Satchel Crest Trail. My friend and I, training for the Mid Mountain Marathon, took off on an overcast day. That was the really amazing day in my life. I can never forget those day for my whole life. That was the really new experience for my life. It was really amazing.