Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Escalante to Monticello Hike

Escalante to Monticello Hike

Earlier this year I did another long hike across a chunk of southern Utah. This time it was Escalante to Monticello and ended up being 248 miles in 16 days. By the end I even learned how to say Monticello correctly!

Unfortunately I got sidetracked afterwards and never did a trip report. BUT... I finally got around to cutting down some of the video/pics into a musical highlight reel. Check it out if you wish. I bet you'll recognize some of the spots along the way.

- Jamal

PS - open fullscreen and watch in HD!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Blog Entries
    WOW! That's very impressive. I liked your short showcase of Dark Canyon. What a neat area.

You hiked about 15/miles a day on average...That's a good pace...geez.
    Any major difficulties you encountered not mentioned in the video?
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

INCREDIBLE! I can't find the expletives to describe just how awesome that was. Best 15 minutes I've spent on the internet this week! Great choices on the music too.

Wow. Sweet, man! My kids watched it with me, and they even remembered you from your previous Across Utah video that they watched with me earlier in the year. Loved it!
    Blog | FB

Thanks guys.

Actually didn't have too many problems this time out. There was a LOT of wind which slowed me down. The route from Trachyte to North Wash around Lake Powell was pretty slow too -- but otherwise no real drama. Dark Canyon is pretty great.

- Jamal

Wow - another amazing trip, Jamal. You are my hero! I would love to do a trip along these lines one day... Might have to wait 'til I retire, though.

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    wow

Inspirational. I can't believe that with your aggressive pace you had the time and energy to take the "third person" shots, especially of your river fording!

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Thing View Post
    I can't believe that with your aggressive pace you had the time and energy to take the "third person" shots, especially of your river fording!
    Yes - I meant to mention that, too! Setting up and taking shots like that add a lot of time to the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    Awesome
    Ditto!!!

So awesome!!! Would love to do something like this some day!!
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn

Man, thanks for posting! I still daydream about how cool your across the state trip was. I too would love to do something this cool someday...

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

Truly Incredible!!
    I really dig the soundtrack too!

My Jealousy level is high.. I haven't gone and done anything like that for almost 10 years..
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

Finally had a chance to sit down and watch the whole thing. Great work, looks like it was a great time!
    Randy Langstraat
    ADVENTR.CO | Anasazi Photography

Absolutely friggin' incredible! Thanks so much for taking the time to put this labor of love together and post it for all of us to enjoy. It makes me yearn to do another long cross-country backpack in southern Utah again.

Great Video! Thanks for sharing

Holy cow! I missed this when it was first posted...what an amazing trip, and one of the best 15 minutes I've spent watching anything in a long time!

I dream of doing trips like this, although probably not alone. What a totally remarkable experience, and thanks for taking the time to put it all together and share it. Like others have said, that took a lot of time and some planning to videotape yourself in there .

I totally need to get a camera with video capacity now...
    Sonya

Art & photography blog

Facebook Studio Page

"I lost my virginity, but I still have the box it came in"

And one for Pearl Jam.