Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Captn's Log- Skiing/Riding Season- 2010/2011

Day 77- 4.14.2011
    Snowbird
    Conditions: More Powder, visibility nil at times.
    Gear: Burton Supermodel 159, Contour HD

This season just wont quit! We just keep getting snow! This was a really fun day riding. It was challenging to say the least with the visibility virtually gone. Made the best of it and got so many pow turns. They closed the road at noon for avalanche control, so ended up riding from 9 am to just past 3 pm. So many miles of pow! Good times all around. Loving spring in Little Cottonwood Canyon this season!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Day 78- 80 4.2011
    Snowbird
    Conditions: Soggy wetness, and a Bluebird Pow Day.
    Gear: Burton Custom 158, Contour HD

Well last week started out very soggy. Monday put the Goretex to the test with how wet this storm came in. Really fun riding, but could have used a windshield wiper for my goggles. Wen was wet again, though a little more snow up top. Friday was the day of the week. It was day 80 riding for the season. Fresh pow overnight from a fast moving storm. Bluebird skies and not a lot of people there. Good times and great riding conditions for April. 667" for the season with what looks like more on the way. Enjoy!

Day 81-82 4.25.26.2011
    Snowbird
    Conditions: More Powder, just keeps getting better!
    Gear: Burton Custom 158, Burton Supermodel 159, Contour HD

Monday 4.25 was a freshies day, low visibility, and frozen roller balls of death everywhere. You had to lean on the side of caution, for hitting one of those will ruin your day. Did get one sunny lap out in the bookends, then it sopped back in.

On to today 4.26.11. Well this is the season that keeps on giving! Today Snowbird broke its all time season total record by reaching 690" with this storm. The previous record was set in 1983/1984 with a season total of 688". It was crazy fun up there today. Late arrival because of the road closure, but well worth it as I was in deep pow all day, including my last run down at 3ish to head home. We have another storm slated for Friday with up to 2 feet expected! And long range charts show another one May 4th-10th. Just madness, I think is it a sure bet we are gonna bust 700" this season. BTW, after this weekend, Snowbird is the only show in town. Looks like they are gonna be open for a while. Sick!

Day ? 4.30.2011
    Snowbird
    Conditions: Powder
    Gear: Never Summer Premier F1 165, GoPro HD

A very good but busy day today. Almost May and still a ridiculous amount of snow up there. We'll still be thawing in August!

Yup, still a ton of snow up there. I had to work Sat, and from all the reports I got it was a junkshow up there. I rode Mon, Tue, Wen, Fri and today, so didn't feel like I was missing out yesterday too much. I will say that crowd hammered Baldy pretty hard yesterday. Not a fresh track to be found out there anywhere today. Only untracked we found was off the Knucklehead and some Gad Valley tree runs and Who Dunnit.

Day 83-85 4.27.29/5.01.2011
    Snowbird
    Conditions: Winter continues up the LCC
    Gear: Burton Supermodel 159, Contour HD

It has been an amazing season! The last few days riding have been really a lot of fun! The mountain is now down to MBX, Little Cloud and the Tram. Early mornings on the hill find the very bottom very scratchy, but the snow is holding out up top. Looks like it is really gonna warm up, so corn and mashed potatoes cannot be too far away. Enjoy the video from Wen the 27th, getting yummy freshies and leftovers from a record breaking day!

Ah yeah, looks like there is going to be more mashed potatoes and gravy than Thanksgiving today!

Day 86-88 5.01.04.05.06.2011
    Snowbird
    Conditions: Some leftovers, and full on mashed potatoes and corn
    Gear: Burton Supermodel 159 Burton Custom 158, Contour HD

May Day! May Day! May has arrived following a wicked storm cycle to finish off the month of April. We now have a full shed cycle going on where it is getting springy and in Mineral Basin it was quite manky! This has been one hell of a season, and we still have 170" base up there. I will be sneaking off into the Escalante area this weekend, so wont be riding until after I get back since Snowbird has gone weekends only. Some Cinco De Mayo action on there, and for sure darkening the goggle tan. Enjoy!

Day 89-90 5.2011
    Snowbird, Utah
    Conditions- Spring Corn and Freshies
    Gear- Burton Supermodel 159, Burton Custom 158, ContourHD

This time of year we should be winding it down and getting ready for summer. I rode Friday the 13th before we departed for Escalante. After I got back it just started dumping up there again! It seems to be endless winter in Little Cottonwood Canyon. Last week we did over 30" of snow, so much they had to stay closed on Friday the 20th of May due to avalanche danger. I got to jam a session on Sat the 21st with really great conditions for May. I was getting slasher turns up top, and corn at the base. Sun was out for the first time in days, and it was just fun to be cruising. Here is an edit from Sat. Looks like we are gonna be doing weekends only up there for a while. 180" base as of Sat. That is a lot of snow, as you can see in the video. Enjoy!

Captn's Log- Skiing/Riding Season- 2010/2011

Day 91 5.30.2011
    Snowbird, Utah
    Conditions- 12" of hero pow
    Gear- Burton Custom 158, ContourHD

Yes it was Memorial Day. Yes we had a fresh 12" of hero snow. Yes there were lines. We had almost a two hour wait till Peruvian went up the hill. We made the best of it, and I will say this is the deepest Memorial Day I have ever had. So much snow. Looks like we will be riding until July 4th this year. Incredible! Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    This is insane
    You think that is insane, what would you say if I told you that I heard a little Birdy saying that we might be riding/skiing till the 24th of July? Now that is insane!