Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Captn's Log- Skiing/Riding Season- 2010/2011

Day 39-40- Jan 17th and 19th, 2011
    Location- Snowbird, Utah
    Conditions- Glacial Ice and Pow Pow
    Gear used Riding- Burton Custom 158, Burton Supermodel 159, ContourHD

What a week it has been. It rained at 11,000 ft Sunday night and Monday night, turning our luscious snow pack into a glacier. Monday was some of the scariest conditions I have ever ridden at the Bird. To give you an idea how gnarly it was, Ski Patrol had to descend via a rope line down Regulator Johnson because it was so bad. The rain just solidified every feature on the mountain. On top of that, 80-100 mph winds ripped all the snow out of the trees, taking branches down with them. A tree took down Gad II for 3 days. Little Cloud lift was still closed on Friday. I was jumping tree debris on the way back to the center after four courageous runs on Monday before I decided my health and well being was more important than riding anymore that day. Wednesday was a full mountain healing, with some really dense snow covered the nasty, and made for a really fun day riding. I have included some highlights in Peruvian Gulch and the Cirque on Wen. It was a fun day, for sure what I love about snowboarding. I had to have emergency surgery Friday morning, so I am down till mid-week next week. If you get out, rips some turns for me. Enjoy the video. Pray 4 Snow!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    yikes! descend down a rope cuz the conditions were that bad....

recover quick!
    Chere'

Quote Originally Posted by blueeyes View Post
    yikes! descend down a rope cuz the conditions were that bad....

recover quick!
    Yeah, that was Monday. I still can't believe that I lasted 4 runs on Monday.
    I had a report from my friends in the rental shop that on Tues, a guy went down on lower primrose and did not stop until he hit the flats in the bottom of the hill.

Wednesday was a quick turn around with all the new snow we got. I had so much fun riding that day.

Thanks for the well wishes. Gonna give it a few days before I ride again so I am fully mended.

Day 41- Jan 26th, 2011
    Location- Solitude, Utah
    Conditions- Creamy Groomers and a little Pow
    Gear used Riding- Burton Supermodel 159, ContourHD

Kapow! After 6 days of taking it easy, got to ride Solitude Wen. So much fun, and really lives up to its name. No one was there, and the snow was still great from the storm on Tues.

Cool stuff. I've only done Solitude once but it's already one of my top choices. I love that steep stuff.

Day 42-44- Jan 28th, 30th 31st, 2011
    Location- Snowbird, Utah
    Conditions- From groomers to pow
    Gear used Riding-Burton Custom 158, Burton Supermodel 159, ContourHD

Here is a video from last week that I have been a slacker putting together and got a little behind on the editing of this one. This video is marked over a 3 day period, riding and having a blast. Enjoy!

wait wait wait.... I saw snow falling in the last section of that video. How'd that happen?

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    wait wait wait.... I saw snow falling in the last section of that video. How'd that happen?
    That was the surprise pow day we had last Monday. Forecast called for 2-4". We ended up with 16". Trust me, after how dry January was, it was a welcome sight.

Day 45-49- Feb 8th, 2011
    Location- Solitude & Snowbird, Utah
    Conditions- Some freshies, a bit of new snow, then the 16" mega dump

Well the last few days riding have been a variety for sure. And the best part was that there were no two days the same. To start the month off we did a arctic mission to Solitude on the 2nd. Then back to the Bird on Friday for some more seasonal temps. Sunday the 6th was great because I got to snowboard with ibenick. We had a lot of fun, and hanging out at his place afterward for hotwings and PBRs was awesome. Monday the 7th was just kind of a cruiser day, with a couple of inches of fresh to liven up things just a bit. The best day of the week by far was Tues the 8th. 16" overnight storm made the entire mountain epic. It was so good I literally lost track of time for about 2 1/2 hours because I was in the zone. So much snow, and we have needed one of these storms, it has been quite a while. Enjoy the video, I will post up vids from this past week and from Solitude in the next day or two.

i am drooling cuz i am itching to ski again
    Chere'

Good stuff. I feel so robbed this season, taking the wrong days off of work.

Day 50-53- 2/2011
    Location- Solitude & Snowbird, Utah
    Conditions- Powder & Leftovers
    Gear used Riding- Burton Custom 158, Burton Supermodel 159, ContourHD

I took a few days off after that last storm cycle, needed a break to catch up on school. But have had a few really fun days riding since. Powder on Thurs was amazing and the leftovers on Friday were pretty fun too, just really windy, blowing the snow all over the mountain. Some really smooth wind deposited sections, and some really exposed to the crust areas. You just had to be very selective of your lines. The groomers were off the hook on Friday. Here is a video from Thursday and a video from the 2nd riding Solitude in -18 degree temps. Don't let the sun in that video fool you. It was -18, not warm at all. Enjoy! Pray 4 Snow!

because you needed them at Solitude
    livinutoutdoors.com
    Don't talk unless you can improve the silence.
    The trout do not rise in the cemetery, so you better do your fishing while you are still alive. SGH

Quote Originally Posted by offpiste View Post
    because you needed them at Solitude
    Oh yeah, had the sunny day lens on for sure!

Day 54- 2/2011
    Location- Snowbird, Utah
    Conditions- 30" Pow Day

Total holiday junk show up there. With only part of the mountain open, and some really brilliant holiday warriors out. We only rode till like 1 pm. Still pretty fun, just not a fan of holiday weekends at any resort. Enjoy the video.

Hoping to check out Eagle Point this weekend.
    Chere'

I guess I forgot what powder really is like.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post

I guess I forgot what powder really is like.
    It has been so long since it has been that deep I almost forgot as well.

Quote Originally Posted by blueeyes View Post
    Hoping to check out Eagle Point this weekend.
    Now that would be an awesome trip report.

Day 55- 2.23.2011
    Location- Snowbird, Utah
    Conditions- 4" of fresh and bluebird skies

A very fun day up there. Sunny day lens rockin' to keep the goggle tan going. New snow overnight with leftovers from the huge storm. Enjoy!