Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Captn's Log- Skiing/Riding Season- 2010/2011

Day- 14-17- 12/5th,7th,9th,10th/2010
    Location- Snowbird, Utah
    Conditions- New snow everyday up there!
    Gear used Riding- Burton Custom 158, Burton Supermodel 159

It has been a pretty fun week at Snowbird. No crowds, and new snow everyday I went up. Sunday was a surprise pow day in Mineral Basin. Bluebird skies and the boots disappearing in the new snow. Tues was fresh and no one there. Thur was fresh once again and bluebird skies. Friday a storm cycle moved in, and it was snowing so hard with the wind blowing, it was filling it back in on every run. It has been an amazing season and it is just getting started. Pray 4 snow!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Day 18-22- Dec 12th, 15th, 18th, 19th, 20th/2010
    Location- Snowbird, Utah
    Conditions- Just keeps getting better, and better..............POW!
    Gear used Riding- Burton Malolo 162, Burton Supermodel 159

This has been an incredible storm cycle over the last week. It has been new snow almost everyday. Wen the 15th was a really fun day with about 7" of fresh, pockets much deeper. Saturday I was off from work for the holiday, and had a pretty good session till a bit afternoon. Sunday had us traversing Mid-Baldy with some of the best snow all year. And Monday was a shit show because of the road closure, got up there about 1 pm, and got 3 trams, 2 Gadzoomers, and 2 Wilbere before the mountain was done. It was knee deep or deeper from top to bottom in Peruvian Gulch. Snowbird is over 200" already for the season. What an incredible start to a year!

Here is a video of me riding on Dec 15th 2010 in Mineral Basin at Snowbird. The video was shot by my friend Jeremy following me from the Chamonix area.

Day 23-25- Dec/21st, 22nd, 23rd/2010
    Location- Snowbird, Utah
    Conditions- Powder, wet and heavy
    Gear used Riding- Burton Malolo 162, Burton Supermodel 159

Tues was redemption time for the road closure. Best Cirque and Baldy of the year. Wednesday the storm turned really wet and heavy, while off trail was unbelievably deep, on trail had more chop than a food processor. Thursday it was wet and heavy again, with great runs off the Cirque, Baldy and a Mid Rope line run into Amphitheater, that for sure was the best snow of the day.

livinutoutdoors.com
    Don't talk unless you can improve the silence.
    The trout do not rise in the cemetery, so you better do your fishing while you are still alive. SGH

Day 26-27- Dec/27th, 29th/2010
    Location- Snowbird, Utah
    Conditions- Wind Buffed Mon, Best Pow of the year Wen.

Monday:
    Super fun wind buffed day at the Bird today! Ran the Tram since it was mostly walk on today. Surprising with all the people that were there today. Forecast called for sunny skies, it was snowing the whole time I was up there.

Wednesday:
    OMG! So sick up at the Bird today! Best Gad II's of the season!!! Lower Tiger Tail was so good. Mid Baldy to Ampitheater was unreal how deep it was today!!! Beat the road closure down, ready for round two tomorrow! Yeah 2010 is going out on a deep note!!!

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    I am JEALOUS as hell today!!!! I wish I could go back. Enjoy!

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G using Tapatalk
    Chere'

livinutoutdoors.com
    The trout do not rise in the cemetery, so you better do your fishing while you are still alive. SGH

Day 28-34- Dec 30th, 31st, 2010/ Jan 1st, 3rd, 5th, 6th, 7th, 2011
    Location- Snowbird, Utah
    Conditions- Powder Storm and Sunny Daze

The last week riding has been really what snowboarding is all about. We went out on a nice note for 2010, with a nice storm that put us over 260" for the season and a 100" base to boot. This week has been a lot of fun because finally, after two weeks of no sun, we finally had some blue bird days. And the temps stayed nice and cold, not setting up our base like concrete, instead we had a very nice velvety smooth and very fast surface to ride on trail with. Off trail was somewhat tricky, but as the days progressed, off trail became a bit more fun. Enjoy the pics. The video is me riding and my friend Jeremy following me filming as we are taking a lap on P-Dog from top to bottom. Music by BT. Enjoy! Pray 4 Snow!!!

Gorgeous pictures!
    Chere'

Nice perma grins....
    livinutoutdoors.com

Quote Originally Posted by offpiste View Post
    Nice perma grins....
    If you notice, both of our goggles are seeing trees!

untracked nirvana......
    livinutoutdoors.com

Day 35-38 Jan 9th, 10th, 12th, 14th, 2011
    Location- Snowbird, Utah
    Conditions- A little bit of new snow, a lot of cruising.

So I got a new ContourHD helmet cam. Xmas showed up a little bit late for me this year. I love this cam, made some modifications that I will comment on after I test them out this week, but out of the package I am more than impressed with the quality and the very functional and easy use of this gadget. The Bird has been varied conditions and a little bit of new snow. It seems that the snow gods gave it to us so hard in December, they were taking a break. But we got a few inches here and there, and if you really love snowboarding like I do, that is just enough. I have two videos that I have made so far riding, one a groomer day, and one a very sopped in day with some freshies. Can't wait to get this out on a monster deep day. Enjoy the videos, nice set of systems heading our way this week, so more to come.

Keep'em coming!
    livinutoutdoors.com

Very nice! I second offpiste.
    Chere'

Nice vids. I'm CRAVING some powder like nobody's business. I've done nothing but groomers this year, picked the wrong days to take off from work.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    Nice vids. I'm CRAVING some powder like nobody's business. I've done nothing but groomers this year, picked the wrong days to take off from work.
    You have not had many to pick in January. After starting off the year with record snowfall, we have had a measly 14" of snow for the month. Last January in comparison, we got 109" of snow for the month. I am dying for some deep days for sure. It was bulletproof up there today, ran 4 laps and called it because it just was dangerous to be on the hill. It rained last night at 11,000 ft? Rain that high in elevation in January? WTF???

I have a ski day planned next Friday. Man I hope we get something before then. I don't want to ski on a sheet of ice. Its friggin' 50 degrees today!!!!! MWTF!!