Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Captn's Log- Skiing/Riding Season- 2010/2011

Day 56- 2.25.2011
    Location- The Canyons, Utah
    Conditions- Powder!
    Gear used Riding- Burton Supermodel 159, ContourHD

I have been holding a free pass to the Canyons I won from Salty Peaks since December, and with the forecast calling for what it was, I decided what a better day to use it than Friday. I arrived quickly threw on the boots and headed up the Cabriolet. Took my first chair of the day on the Orange Bubble Chair. This is new this year, has a orange transparent cover you pull down with the safety bar. It is like the worlds largest Persimmon lens. And the seats are heated- Crazy! Talk about the lap of luxury for a lift chair. The new lift set up is sweet up there. Still a junk show as I always remember at Red Pine, but the rest of the mountain was sweet. I rode non-stop from 9 am to 3pm. No Breaks, just lift after lift. Pretty much lapped the whole place, and even hit a couple of backcountry gates for some really great slasher runs. Even took Shortcut to Docs run to get back to the base. Never once took the Gondola. Snow was so deep up top. Up to my ballz in places. Made it to the new Iron Mountain area as well. Last run off Tombstone through Dechutes to get to Red Pine area was amazing in the trees. Enjoy the video! Cheers!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

livinutoutdoors.com
    Don't talk unless you can improve the silence.
    The trout do not rise in the cemetery, so you better do your fishing while you are still alive. SGH

Day ?- 2.26.2011
    Location- Snowbird, Utah
    Conditions- Powder
    Gear used Riding- Never Summer Premier F1 165, GoProHD

Seems like we've had a lot of these great days this year. I heard statements that Saturday was some people's best of the year. Not so much for me but definitely a good one. I kept the video short since the pow shots start to get old!

Day 57- 58- 2.27 & 28.2011
    Location- Snowbird, Utah
    Conditions- Freshies and Leftovers

A couple of really fun days riding the Bird. Sunday was so much fun. Still a ton of snow up there. Monday was windy but they opened Road to Provo for the first time in 3 days, a little wind blown, but hell, after 3 days what do you expect. Staying off till Friday because my legs were worked after Monday. 3 out of 4 days riding a storm was incredible, but want to be strong when the next system comes in. Enjoy the video.

Day 59- 3.4.2011
    Location- Snowbird, Utah
    Conditions- Freshies!!!!

Super fun day at Snowbird. Freshies everywhere. Went around the world up there Friday with a Baldy hike and ripping pow line to finish off the day.

Day 60-62- 3.6.7.8.2011
    Location- Snowbird, Utah
    Conditions- Huge Storm! Pow Pow!
    Gear used Riding- Burton Supermodel 159, Burton Malolo 162, ContourHD

This time of the year is why I have a pass to the Bird. We get dumped on in the spring. Last year we did like 300" in less than two months in the spring. This was an amazing storm! Sunday it came in and it was free refills all day long. Like swimming in a milk bottle in Mineral Basin at times (See attached video below). Monday was just getting deeper, and made for some really dense and heavy but fun turns. Tues was the day out of this storm, it put down 18" overnight to have a bluebird day on tues which was epic and deep! I had the 162 Malolo out on Tues it was so deep. Looks like we have a little bit more heading our way this weekend, then I am off to AZ for some desert and sun for 5 days. Enjoy the videos, I know I had fun making them. Cheers!

Day 63-64- 3.11.13.2011
    Location- Snowbird, Utah
    Conditions- Grooms and a bit of fresh
    Gear used Riding- Burton Custom 158, ContourHD

After a wild week of snow, the sun came out and we have some really nice days just cruising the mountain. This was my last couple of days before heading south to Arizona for Spring Break. Trip report coming from my first hike for 2011. Enjoy the video, looks like some more pow on the way this weekend.

Day 65- 3.20.2011
    Location- Snowbird, Utah
    Conditions- Powda!!!

Well, after an amazing week in Arizona, came home to the Bird getting dumped on. It was a really mellow day up there, not a lot of traffic, and great snow. Enjoy!

Lotta snow up there still. They are hoping for a slow melt...otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    Lotta snow up there still. They are hoping for a slow melt...otherwise.
    Man, if that all came down in the creek right now, we would have a disaster on our hands.

Its gonna be a while till it melts out. We still have that January 8th rain event that glaciated the whole mountain to melt off. There are parts of Road To Provo skiers left that glow blue. And then 200" on top of that. We better hope for a slow warming.

Yeah. It was in the 60's recently and now we are lucky to break into the 50's.

Day 66-70- 3.2011
    Location- Snowbird, Utah
    Conditions- Nothing but powder since I returned from Arizona!

What a welcome back! It has been nothing but powder powder powder! Conditions are about as epic as you can expect for end of March. Here are a couple of really fun days riding up there. I have another edit I am working on with my daughter skiing for the first time in her life. I'll post that up soon! Enjoy! Wont be long now....

IMO, March is the best powder days. Cool stuff dood.

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    IMO, March is the best powder days. Cool stuff dood.
    ^^^100% Agree

Thanks for sharing your season! It has motivated me to get in shape for next season, so I can put in many days as well.
    livinutoutdoors.com
    Don't talk unless you can improve the silence.
    The trout do not rise in the cemetery, so you better do your fishing while you are still alive. SGH

Quote Originally Posted by offpiste View Post
    Thanks for sharing your season! It has motivated me to get in shape for next season, so I can put in many days as well.
    You bet! I am far from done. I think we will be getting June turns at Snowbird, we have so much snow up there. I will put up a vid from today when I get a chance this week. To stay built up in the off season, I have found hiking and backpacking keep my legs strong. First day of the season my friends legs just burn, minus getting used to the boots, I ride from peak to base no problem because the legs stay in good shape all summer.

But do what is best for you. And I hope you are back at it soon!

Day ?? - 4.9 & 4.10.2011
    Location- Snowbird, Utah
    Conditions- Powder
    Gear used Riding- Never Summer Premier T5 165, GoPro HD

Twas a good weekend. We've had many timely weekend storms this year.

Day 71-76 - 4.2011
    Location- Snowbird & Brighton, Utah
    Conditions- Powder, lots of it.
    Gear used Riding- Burton Supermodel 159, Contour HD

What an amazing storm cycle we have had. A serious week long cycle that put down so much new snow. The snow pack has been unbelievable, and the powder off the hook. I have only had one groomer day since I got back from Arizona last month. After spending April 1st in shorts hiking Bells Canyon, it just started dumping and never let up. April Fools video is from last week. B-Town video is from Sunday, and After the storm was Monday riding up there. We are primed for a very long spring cycle, I bet we are riding Little Cloud and Mineral until late June. Enjoy the videos, I know I had fun riding and making them. Cheers!