Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Captn's Log- Skiing/Riding Season- 2010/2011

Captn's Log- Skiing/Riding Season- 2010/2011

Hey everyone,

As to not to clutter up this section with a million posts over a very long season, I am starting a thread where we can all post our days this season on the snow. This can be used for trips in the backcountry, at the resort, or urban missions ect. Something like as follows would be a good way to post it up when you do post in the Captn's Log- arrrrr!

Day- (Whatever day of the season you are on / MM/DD/YYYY)
    Location- (Where ever you were that day.)
    Conditions- (Powder or Bulletproof?)
    Gear used Skiing or Riding- (Were you on those reverse camber narrow ass snowboard skis that were sick? Tell us about them)

Description- (Tell us about your day. Highlights or low lights, its all up to you.)

It would be great to see what all of us do on the snow this season. I'll go ahead and start this off. Hope everyone gets some great days on the snow this year.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Day- 4- 11/14/10
    Location- Snowbird, Utah
    Conditions- Sleet/Freezing Rain
    Gear used Riding- Burton Custom 158

Kind of gnarly for a first day at the Bird. The snow was like freezing rain, and if you got near a snow gun, forget about seeing. Still made the best of it. Took 7 runs and I was outta there. Be back on Tues. Just glad to be back at the Bird.
    Last edited by Dr. Nebz; 12-23-2011 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Leaving

Day- 5- 11/16/10
    Location- Snowbird, Utah
    Conditions- High winds and lots of new snow!

Graupel heaven today at the Bird. With the wind and the new snow, smoothed out everything and made it a blast. 3 Trams, then they shut it down because of high winds, and they ran us all over to Gadzoom. Really fun laps today over there. Too bad I had class at 2:30, or I would have ridden till last lift chair it was so good. I love surprise days like this.

Keep an eye out this weekend, gonna get puked on.............

SNOW ACCUMULATIONS- TOTAL ACCUMULATIONS OF 2 TO 3 FEET ARE EXPECTED ACROSS THE HIGHER TERRAIN OF UTAH BEGINNING SATURDAY... AND ENDING LATE TUESDAY NIGHT...WITH THE GREATEST ACCUMULATIONS EXPECTED ACROSS THE WASATCH RANGE. LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS ARE POSSIBLE. NOAA.GOV

Getting so stoked on this winter. Have not had a good start like this since 07/08.

Day- 6- 11/19/10
    Location- Snowbird, Utah
    Conditions- High winds and firm like frozen chicken

Pretty firm at the Bird today. Only rode for a couple of hours. The wind was howling. Something wicked this way comes...............

Day- 7,8,9,10- 11/21-24/10
    Location- Snowbird, Utah
    Conditions- Powder!
    Gear used Riding- Burton Malolo 162, Supermodel 159

What a week here in Utah! We got smacked by a series of storms which have taken our mountain from shallow coverage, to being able to hit a lot more terrain off trail. Sunday the 21st, we got a huge storm which was pretty dense and mostly grauple. It was just puking up there. So I decided that I would head back up Monday the 22nd because the Tram line on Sunday was a bit crowded, and Monday was the day of the week to be up there for sure. Dropping into shin to knee deep pow turns in Peruvian Gulch. The snow was so good, I really had one of those days where you forget how many runs you have taken, and just explore the mountain and all the good snow! Unbelievable conditions for November that is for sure. Tues the 23rd was a leftovers day, snowed like 3 inches, and then there was still a lot of untracked. It kind of was a bummer though, I got only a few runs and the winds shut the whole mountain down because of the approaching blizzard- I'll get to that in a moment. Wen the 24th was the after the so called "Blizzard of 2010" day. It only put down about a foot in spots, and to be frankly honest, I thought we had more blizzard conditions on Sunday. What was really crazy was how cold it was. -18 off Hidden Peak with a wind chill of -39. Some of the coldest snowboarding I have ever done. And I always ride in a storm, because that is when the snow is the freshest. But this was unreal, and I am sure glad I busted out the arctic layers and had zero exposed skin while riding. Last Tram of the day was some incredible pow turns in Peruvian off the Cirque. Sorry for the lack of pictures, but there was no way in hell was I letting my nubs out of my gloves when it is that cold. 10 days in riding this season and it is only Thanksgiving weekend. Loving it! Looks like there is another storm heading in Sunday. I have been on my powder boards all week. I never have ridden those in November. Loving this season so much, and hope to have a bit warmer riding conditions this weekend, the camera will get a bit more use. BTW, Mineral Basin opens on Saturday. I have never in my 5 seasons there ever seen that ready to go in November. Last year it was Dec 20th that it opened. Nov 27th? Unreal. Looks like by Dec 17th, the Bird will be 100% open and operational. Just amazing!

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Mmmm another storm is brewing..... i wish.... i wish.... i wish.... lots of snow between now and the end of December... can't wait to play in it. Love the reports! Keep them coming.

We found a small amount of snow today down here in southern Utah in Dameron Valley enough that an unexpected snowball was thrown at me. And that is all the snow I have to report on at this time.
    Chere'

keep'em coming.....especially liked the visibility report....thought the link wasn't working.....DOH!
    livinutoutdoors.com
    Don't talk unless you can improve the silence.
    The trout do not rise in the cemetery, so you better do your fishing while you are still alive. SGH

Quote Originally Posted by offpiste View Post
    keep'em coming.....especially liked the visibility report....thought the link wasn't working.....DOH!
    Yeah, that was taken at the top of Regulator Johnson on Sunday. It was literally the white room until you hit Mid-Mountain.

Day- 5 - 11/28/2010
    Location- Snowbird - Mt. Baldy
    Conditions- Powder
    Gear used Skiing or Riding- Never Summer Premier T5 165

Description- The day was very good. Please see video for proof. Taken on unmounted GoPro HD.

Day 5

Day- 4 - 11/27/2010 (sorry, working backwards)
    Location- Snowbird - Mineral Basin
    Conditions- Powder/Windbuff
    Gear used Skiing or Riding- Never Summer Premier T5 165

Description - This was the first day that Mineral Basin was open for the 2010/11 season. I got up there around 9:15am and apparently the tram was shut down around 9:30am due to high winds. It was empty back there for quite a while because of this (the tunnel is not open yet).

^^^Yeah buddy! Looks good back there!!!!

I have not been up since the 24th, damn cold was kicking my butt. I will be heading up tomorrow, champagne powder on tap!

Which helmet cam do you have?

Day- 11- 11/29/10
    Location- Snowbird, Utah
    Conditions- 21" storm total- pow pow!
    Gear used Riding- Burton Supermodel 159

After being off for four days because of a nasty head cold that got me, I was stoked to see 21" storm total this morning. First day of the year on P-Dog and it was the best day of the year so far! Sick pow day at the Bird. So much snow, West Baldy off the Mid-Traverse all day and it was still good. So stoked!

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    Awesome stuff. I gotta get up there.
    Yeah you do!!! This has been the best November that I can ever remember. 101" this month, we are in for one hell of a season that is for sure!

Premium!
    livinutoutdoors.com
    Don't talk unless you can improve the silence.
    The trout do not rise in the cemetery, so you better do your fishing while you are still alive. SGH

Awesome vid holding the camera! I love the Bird!!!
    I just dropped by to see what condition my condition is in.

I have a day scheduled to run up to Sundance for the day in 2 weeks. Yeah...fail.

Time to get some Bogley night skiing/boarding trips planned.

Day- 12- 12/1/10
    Location- Snowbird, Utah
    Conditions- Freshies and some leftover pow.
    Gear used Riding- Burton Supermodel 159

Fantastic morning at Snowbird! Got first chair on Gadzoom! Freshies everywhere, no one there. I was, because of lack of traffic able to do real Tram laps (Where you beat the Tram to the bottom that took you to the top.) Gadzoom, Tram to Peruvian, and even a lap on Wilbere this morning. Snow was so incredible! Perfect day to be up snowboarding.

Day- 13- 12/3/10
    Location- Snowbird, Utah
    Conditions- A bit of fresh and some wind transported goods

Great day riding the Bird. Between the fresh that was falling and some wind transported goods, it made riding very fun. Here is a shot of me doing some high speed cruisers in Gad Valley.