Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dyna Ring

Dyna Ring

Decided to try out a Dyna Ring in my WR 450. Two of my buddies have them and after riding them I decided I need one. We rode 130 miles yesterday from Green River to Moab and back and it is the best money ever spent. It is cheating.

If you are not familiar with the concept here is the site.

http://www.revloc.com/index.cfm/id/10/DynaRing/

They rule.

Mark

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I have always wanted a Rekluse clutch, this looks much more simple and cheaper by a couple of hundred. Do you or your buddies have any experience with the Rekluse? For the price I am very tempted to buy and try it. Thanks for the link

Another one of my buddies has a recluse in a KTM. I cannot tell any difference between a Dyna Ring and a Recluse other then one is $800 and one is $370. As soon as Alan at Dyna Ring has the left hand rear brake setup bugs worked out I am going to install that also and completely remove the clutch handle. What size bike are you looking at putting it in? The reason I ask is we also have a buddy with one in a 250 and it does not perform as well as the 450. Alan at Revloc says that because of the smaller diameter clutch in a 250 it doesn't create as much centrifugal force which doesn't allow it to hook up as hard. If you want to drop by the Kaysville area you can take my for a spin and see what you think. The amazing part is you cannot stall it no matter what and you can pull a higher gear in loose traction areas and it doesn't spin as easily. I would consider myself a recreational rider but one of my buddies has rode motorcross his whole life and he put one in the same day I did. I loved it but I was interested to see what he thought. Hie is one of those type that the front tire is never on the dirt and he couldn't stop raving about it riding home in the truck from Green River. He also now wants to add the left hand rear brake. When in techincal terrain it should be outlawed it is so easy to ride. My son rides a WR 250 and he was along the other day. It was unbelievable to watch him struggle on obstacles that we would go up with complete ease. The only downside is when the bike is shut off the tranny does not lock up. So if wanting to park on a hill etc you need a toe strap from a mtn bike to slip on the front brake handle to make the bike stay put.

Hey Mark, I'm going to take a guess and say you ride with Russ? I was pretty sold on a Dyna Ring, but after riding his bike with it, I couldn't go without one. I put one in my CRF450X and have loved every minute of it. Not that riding isn't fun, but it makes it 10Xs as fun because you are just enjoying the riding, even in the technical stuff. I won't have another bike without one.

Russ Tribe or Holbook? The Dyna Ring is cheating.

Should of seen his maneuver at the Cow Wash. Quality.

Yeah, he said he ate it pretty hard. I almost felt bad for him

He's out of commision for a while. Luckily he didn't need surgery.

So what do you think of going all the way and tossing the clutch handle and going with a left hand brake?

The LHB is on my short list of mods. I rarely used the clutch and now with the Dyna Ring, I never touch the clutch other than to start the bike.

The day Alan at Dyna Ring sends me an email saying he's got the bugs worked out I'll be sending him some more $$$. I've got another buddy with a 450 Honda and he wants a Ring but he's been looking for someone who had one in a Honda. Sounds like yours works just like ours. He'll be happy to hear that.

Yep, it works great in my Honda. If he wants to ride it around, he's more than welcome to.

Just got off the phone with Alan he says about a week.Let's hope.

So hows it work? You obviously still shift the foot lever up and down but you do it without pulling the clutch lever in? So does it really make that big of an impact? I wonder how it works on a 2-stroke. We'll have to go riding together so I can try it. I'm always game to try something new.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonccc View Post
    So hows it work? You obviously still shift the foot lever up and down but you do it without pulling the clutch lever in? So does it really make that big of an impact? I wonder how it works on a 2-stroke. We'll have to go riding together so I can try it. I'm always game to try something new.
    It works on centrifugal forces. So when you are sitting at idle, even if you are in gear, the clutch is disengaged. So you can start in third gear if you want without even touching your clutch. It's hard to imagine the difference it makes, like I said above, I was pretty much sold on it, but until I rode a bike with one I just couldn't bring myself to spend the money. This allows you to ride a gear higher than you normally would making those hill climbs that you need an extra gear on, no problem. It also prevent the bike from stalling, so those tight technical section are now no longer a problem. Instead of using a flywheel weight or gearing your bike down real low so you can lug it on the technical parts, this solves all of that. So you can keep the good gearing for more top end, but still be able to ride technical without any issues at all.

If you go to Revloc.com you can look at one. You still shift it normally but you never pull in the clutch. You can pull in the clutch to full speed shift it but you can shift it pretty hard without pulling in the lever. The ring basically takes the place of three plates in your clutch. It is centrifugal force driven. When the motor starts to spin up the device expands and engages the clutch. It is adjustable with the clutch linkage. It is smooth as silk. The beauty is in techincal terrain you CANNOT STALL IT. You just hold onto the bars and ride it. You can also pull taller gears due to the clutch slipping a bit in turns as well as going up hill etc. On a 450 you pretty much put the bike in 3rd gear and never shift it. The really cool part is on a normal bike when you start to lug you know how the bike starts to jerk a bit well with this there is no jerking because the ring just slips. I would imagine it would be pretty much the same on a two stroke. Alan at Revloc can tell you what bikes he has it for. It should be illegal. From what I understand from my local dealer and this may be BS but a vast majority of pro motocross teams are running something similar. Haven't you ever wonder when watching motocross on TV how some of the guys get pitched off and their bike goes over into the hay IN GEAR and they just grab their bike and hop on it and it is still running?

Edit Supergper posted while I was typing.

But if you can't tell we have both seen the light

Wait until I get a left hand rear brake in place of the clutch handle. Then I'll be in Heaven.

One other thing that's nice, but has no real riding benefit is it eliminates chain slap. You know when you accidentally grab a gear too high, now it's no longer a problem The other thing that's nice about the Dyna Ring is you still have the full use of your clutch if you need to use it for whatever reason. You also still have compression braking and can easily adjust the clutch at the lever to bump start the bike if needed.

Does this work similarly to, say, a 5-speed ATV? My Honda Rancher doesn't have a clutch lever, you just let off the throttle and kick the shift lever. I'm trying to visualize if the Dyna Ring is any different from that.
    Blog | FB

Quote Originally Posted by Udink View Post
    Does this work similarly to, say, a 5-speed ATV? My Honda Rancher doesn't have a clutch lever, you just let off the throttle and kick the shift lever. I'm trying to visualize if the Dyna Ring is any different from that.
    Not really, you're not just eliminating the clutch lever. Kind of like right now, with a stock clutch, you can shift without pulling the lever, same thing with this clutch. The big difference is that you can't stall the bike due to the clutch. Lug it all you want, it won't stall, it just lets the clutch slip. From what I've been told and read, it actually reduces wear on the clutch as well.