Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bad Crash on Bear Claw Poppy Trail

Oh Mark, I am so sorry to hear about your crash. I wish you a solid recovery!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

This might show a little better how far he fell.

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    I can not believe how hard he had to have hit to break knock himself out, break 7 ribs and his clavicle. I cringe with pain each time I watch it... you can't look away. Anyhoo glad he is home and on the mend.
    Chere'

Thanks for posting that up in time for the holidays. Shared it with the family & they all really enjoyed it.

But seriously, glad glasscutter made it back home in time for some turkey. The crash doesn't look too bad, just a really bad landing I guess.

Not to TC, but who else has been injured while riding their bike? Other than some badly sprained ankles, wrists, fingers & a concussion, I've been pretty lucky so far. Since it's the season of sharing, let's hear about/see some more nasty x-ray/scar pics

Quote Originally Posted by mfshop View Post
    Not to TC, but who else has been injured while riding their bike? Other than some badly sprained ankles, wrists, fingers & a concussion, I've been pretty lucky so far. Since it's the season of sharing, let's hear about/see some more nasty x-ray/scar pics
    2 of my bad crashes have been on this trail. I've broken ribs on Clavicle hill, and I've had a contusion on my hip from the Acid Drops.

Here's my cousin @shagster and his friends wiping out on the same area, a different drop:

I don't have any pics or video of my worst crashes. In my late 20's I had several bad crashes on some downhill trails in the Bountiful area. In my early 30's I was riding alone at Deer Valley on the National race course and I crashed bad enough to have compound fractures in 1 vertebre in my neck and 2 in my back t3 and t4. It really doesn't make any sense that I now ride more agressive and I have done more extreme stunts by comparison than before. I like to prove to myself what my bike is capable of doing. I think that I justify some things because I usually don't ride alone anymore and I figure someone can call for help if needed. If I had crashed while doing some of the stunts while being taped, I probably would not be writing this now.

Saw a fire truck parked at the top of green valley yesterday. Appears that clavicle hill took out another rider - read he got airlifted to DRMC. Sorry, no pics though...

The x-rays made me cringe. Ouch! That's a lot of broken bones. Heal fast and heal well, Mark!

nothing better than to watch someone else wipe out..and not be hurt tooo bad...LOL..nice wipe out.
    go get lost, it is good for the soul

Here's Mark's "clavicle bump" before the surgery

Name:  150021_154922396355&.jpg
Views: 10657
Size:  47.3 KB

Bogley BigShot
    Oh MARK!!!! A man with stitches and scars is so SEXY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tanya View Post
    Oh MARK!!!! A man with stitches and scars is so SEXY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Where did I put that knife....

Bogley BigShot
    ~smooch!!

Ouch!

Ouch! Oh man. My son and I have recently discovered Bear Claw Poppy. We've hit it 3 times in the past month. Great fun, but as the video shows, care must be taken. AND WEAR A HELMET!!! We actually saw a couple with 4 kids on bikes out there. Not one of them were wearing helmets. = recipe for a disaster.

Sounds like a similar accident just happened a week later, unless this was the same story that might have gotten a little sloppy with the source...

http://www.thespectrum.com/apps/pbcs...=2010101126018

ST. GEORGE – A 33-year-old male cyclist with broken bones was transported by helicopter to Dixie Regional Medical Center Friday after falling during a ride near Clavicle Hill.

St. George Police Officer Tyrell Gangerter said Las Vegas’ Mercy Air’s medical service helicopter was nearby when the cyclist fell around 3 p.m. and was able to reach the cyclist from the remote location of his fall.
    “He had possibly broken ribs and collarbone,” Bangerter said. “Mercy landed and went en route to DRMC.”

Hope you're healing well Mark. I was just thinking 'bout you today. I went over my crash in my head over and over...and over again to try to figure out what I'D done wrong too. it just takes a split second. I am constantly aware of my grip/footing/concentration now when I ride...it's kind of exhausting but you'll never forget. Get well soon man!

Mark emailed this to me today, his latest xray.

Name:  457427316_1..jpg
Views: 1493
Size:  46.2 KB

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Hey that kinda looks like they used a bike chain to put him back together. Sorta.. you could hallucinate that.

Keep healing Mark!
    Chere'