Thread: Too bolt or not too bolt.....

Too bolt or not too bolt.....

With regards to bolts the light turned on over the top of my head after we uncovered North Wash and spent several weeks exploring the different slots. At the time the area was unknown to the general but just beginning to explode canyoneering community. The North Wash slots were all pristine and natural. All these slots were next to a major highway, easy to access, great fun and yet appeared to be untouched by man.

At the time there was much discussion among my partners as to what we should do with North Wash. The fun of exploring them in a natural state was something we wanted everyone to be able to experience, both now and in the future. We knew that because of their location and Al Gore inventing the interwebs the slots would not remain secret for very long. In the end it was decided that education was the only possible way to save North Wash from "engineered routes" and keep it natural for future canyoneers to enjoy.

Over a decade has now passed since the slots in the area were given up to the general canyoneering community. If you have had the privilege of exploring and enjoying these slot canyons in a natural and pristine state you owe a debt of thanks to everyone that came before you and respected the no bolt ethics of the area. Those that come after you and enjoy these slots will soon owe you the same big thank you.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nicely put Iceaxe. Bingo!
    Jenny

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Eloquently put, Ice. Thanks. Tom

Well put, indeed.

I know my "no bolt" opinions were aided by my (occasional, moderate) climbing in a granite area (Squamish) with lots of crack systems for natural pro. It just seems to carry over naturally into canyoneering. Yeah, there can be places for bolts, but if they're not needed, why place 'em?