Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Computer Gurus! What to do when a photo is stolen?

Tom is on the right path for when people steal your content. It works. I used the same tactic (cease and desist) but didn't invoice when my girlfriends blog content was being stolen word for word, picture for picture. It took adding copyright information (which you have) and sending an email. It will take effort on your part but if all you want is it linked back to your site then you might offer them a choice (using an official looking letter). Update their link(s) so they point to your site, or the option of removing the content. If that fails you have started your paper trail for further action (hopefully it won't lead to that). Good luck, it is a pain in the rear end having to spend your valuable time on something that shouldn't be happening in the first place.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Bogley BigShot
    I see a Walter's Wiggles picture on the google list. I have not even looked at Yahoo.

I will use your bill on them Tom! Thanks. Its funny but to the point!

Gamble.. good stuff. You are right, to ask for a link. For me that's worth far more than money. I am totally updating my site right now, so its a perfect time to do things like this. I use to put my name right on the photos, but decided it looked tacky so removed them. Perhaps I should put it on again on future photos.

Sean let me know once a newspaper stole a photo and I asked for a link and they gave it quickly. That was nice.

Going to google yahoo photos..

You all should look and see if people are getting high rankings with YOUR photos too!

Bogley BigShot
    Did the yahoo search... This is interesting...

That photo in question on the craft blogging site...

Its is ranked #1 in google but links to my tourism council site which is okay, but has the exact same picture ranked #3 that goes to her crafting blog.

Very odd? My Zion site gets far more hits than my tourism site. I don't buy her answer that the site with the most hits gets their photo listed? Anyone know?

Name:  Yahoo! Image Sear&#9.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  24.4 KB

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tanya View Post
    Did the yahoo search... This is interesting...

That photo in question on the craft blogging site...

Its is ranked #1 in google but links to my tourism council site which is okay, but has the exact same picture ranked #3 that goes to her crafting blog.

Very odd? My Zion site gets far more hits than my tourism site. I don't buy her answer that the site with the most hits gets their photo listed? Anyone know?

Name:  Yahoo! Image Sear&#9.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  24.4 KB
    Page hits? or Site hits? I think both count in a complex formula. A good reason to have people always come in through your front door.

Tom

I would seriously just do what Scott says, tell them it's yours, and they can keep using it ONLY if they link back to your site. If it's a popular site they run, you'll benefit by having a link to your site, gaining new traffic to your site. Otherwise make them take it down.

Bogley BigShot
    Good points guys! Front door - hmmm... never thought of that!

Mine are page. Not sure about hers.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Good points guys! Front door - hmmm... never thought of that!

Mine are page. Not sure about hers.
    and people lie about their hits, too.......

T

Bogley BigShot
    I hope you mean her and not me!

I tried the screen grab, but it shows all but the graph!

Anyway its a little under 9000 this time of the year per day for the entire site.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Bogley BigShot
    dang screen grab
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by Pelon1 View Post
    I took this a couple years ago, have it printed 16x20 its pretty sweet.
    Attachment 39109
    Oh I think I know that spot. Is it by the old Rococos restaurant? Great pic.
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathcricket View Post
    Oh I think I know that spot. Is it by the old Rococos restaurant? Great pic.
    It was taken at the parking area at the north end of 16
    IF YOU WON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!!!!

2008 V2K Classic LT
    2004 Toyota Tacoma
    Schwinn Homegrown
    CouchSurfing
    Patriot Guard Riders

I always embed my photos metadata with my copyright info. If you put that in your photo's you have proof that the photo is yours.

I had a friend who had a shot of the Salt Lake Temple that was ripped from the net. The LDS church wanted to buy the photo, and were going to pay the thief for the shot, until their legal checked the metadata and saw who the real photographer was. Now he has a pretty lucrative deal with the church for that one shot.

from my experience its really easy to strip meta data... unless you know something i dont.

Bogley BigShot
    This site stole some of my photos. Do any of you have photos on there? I emailed him to link or remove them.

http://www.starving-writers.com/ss1.htm

My photo on his site comes up number 2 when you search google web or images for Zion National Park, Zion National Park pictures or Zion National Park photos. I was going to add the script where people have a harder time stealing photos - no right click, but then read that's a bad idea.

Searched images and there is Bo. I just don't get how some blog page really gets more hits that the original page the photos are from.
    http://www.everythingicafe.com/forum...ork-58887.html

There must be a trick to it!

I posted the first paragraph of a news article the other day and it came with the url attached. Sort of cool, so I did not have to go back and get it. I bet there is a way to do that with images too.

Funny.. this one of my daughter comes up on Bogley now. Use to come up on the EZTC site. lol

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...-year-old-girl!

I need to figure out how this all works.

To stop stealing just have to go through hundreds and hundreds and photos and do this. ~groan~
    http://www.zionnational-park.com/ima...rows-r_jpg.htm

But would rather find a way to get a link back when people want to use my photos.

But would rather find a way to get a link back when people want to use my photos.
    Yeah, I would honestly NOT ask them to take it down, but to ask for a link to your site instead. If they take it down, you're missing out on potential traffic.

With this link, it's just a forum: http://www.everythingicafe.com/forum...ork-58887.html

So the forum owner really isn't responsible "too much" for what the users post. That'd be like Scott and I being responsible for any photo/video that any bogley members posted. It just ain't gonna happen. lol. You could really take advantage of that situation too by just joining that forum and saying "Hi, that's my photo, glad you liked it, I've got more here...." and link to your site.

Putting your url on the photos is a decent move too, but only 10% are going to manually type in that address. Links get a much higher conversion rate.

Bogley BigShot
    I really don't care about forums, but the commercial sites that use them do bug me and added that one since I thought you guys would like all the avatars of young, pretty girls. lol But what I do wonder is if a photo is shown due to how many hits a page gets, that site sure should not be in the top 3 photos for Zion.

That is why I wondered if there is a way to attach my link to photos. I bet everyone this site would love to do that one!

iPhone hotties. Nice!

Quick side note; that pic of Bo at Angel's Landing has got to be one of my all time favorite Angel's Landing photo's. I'm going to have to recreate it one day. Instead of Bo at Angel's Landing, it will be Beau at Angel's Landing . Seriously though... awesome picture!
    How can you have your non-dairy pudding substitute if you don't eat your wok-braised tofu?

Bogley BigShot
    Thanks! It's my favorite of all I took too.

This one at Canaan Mountain is cool too, and similar, but no where as popular as Angels Landing of course and Bo has a big soft pad on his pack for me to sleep on. What a good hiking partner! I have a feeling this photo of Shaun (Track Runner) I just put on the Zion Narrows page today will become a major popular one. I just wish I had the camera skills that many in this group have!

http://www.zionnational-park.com/ima...aan-zq_jpg.htm

Check out Shaun and like my page while there.

http://www.zionnational-park.com/zion-narrows.htm

iphone.. that makes sense! That would get a of hits.

I attended a seminar about how to get your site ranked high by google about 6-8 years ago when I was self-employed and looking for more work. It was presented by the guy who (at that point it time) owned the most common misspelling: www.goggle.com. It's now some sort of free stuff for your participation in our survey (scam) site. According to him, the biggest factor affecting your google ranking is the number of sites that are linking back to your site. The number of links on your site that also meet the search criteria is also considered along with the number of hits.

This makes some sense. Travel sites will link to the tourism site, blogs will link to blogs, etc. Outdoor enthusiasts are too busy out having fun to link to anything.
    seen all good people turn their heads each day so satisfied I'm on my way...