Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gorging - New Documentary

All fair questions.... so.... I'll make it simple and rephrase the question....

In what ways are Dennis Turville and Steve Allen relevant in todays canyoneering community?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by carverbc View Post
    Does anybody out there in the "general canyon community" KNOW, for a fact, what either of these fellows is doing?
    Nope. And, that's partly the issue perhaps.

I think (don't know, just think) that Dennis is still taking photo's, selling calendars (based on seeing them). Probably still hiking (based on seeing him). Not sure if he climbs much anymore (based on not seeing at the crags for awhile). My bet is he's still in canyons (photo's would indicate that).

Steve sounds like he's still very active in promoting and supporting environmental causes related to the desert areas.

So, they still appear to be relevant, but, maybe don't make themselves available to internet trolls...(ha ha).

On another front, not sure we've met, but, my friend Patty thinks she might know you from a prior life. She climbed with Dennis and Mike "back in the day".

Cheers,

-Brian in SLC

Thanks for your brave attempt to answer one of the four questions, Brian. Nice assumptions based on some sound thinking.

I know/knew many women named Patti. Do I know your friend? Have I met you? Nice to cyber meet you Bryan.

Iceaxe. I should have stood on your toes; you danced right out of that one. Smooth move.
    Last edited by carverbc; 11-16-2010 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Has an edge that I do not want to display.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Or does one have to be a regular forum contributor, current guide or guidebook author or show up at FreezeFest to be counted as "relevant"?
    Is that a question?

In one sense, no. In another sense, yes.

If a rock falls into a canyon, and nobody hears it, does it make a noise?

It's a trick question. It makes a "sound", but it does not make a "noise", since the latter is a human interpretation of some sounds.

Dennis is relevant somewhat like a tree that falls in a distant forest, which nobody hears. While he has influenced a few people who are players "in the community", he is only very tentatively connected to more than 3 or 4 people currently doing canyons. He is relevant as a historical figure, who's history is mostly lost, because he chose to not share it, only a little bit. Yes, he comes out of his cave every once in a decade or two.

Is a painter that paints very interesting pictures, but then burns them before anyone else sees them - is this painter a relevant painter? Maybe to themselves, but not to a community, by their own choice.

Tom

Iceaxe. I should have stood on your toes; you danced right out of that one. Smooth move.
    With a deft dip of the shoulders, he feinted, then moved away from the approaching attacker with the usual grace....

Actually I didn't mean to bail on you. I was just busy with other items at the time.....

Oh YES they are relevant. Or does one have to be a regular forum contributor, current guide or guidebook author or show up at FreezeFest to be counted as "relevant"?
    I define relevant as providing some greater good, service or benefit to the canyoneering community.

What, exactly defines the "general canyon community"?
    A loose term meaning those that interact with a broad cross section of other canyoneers. Operating and interacting outside of a small inbred cadre. That is my definition, you are free to establish your own.

Does anybody out there in the "general canyon community" KNOW, for a fact, what either of these fellows is doing?
    Outside of Allen's work with SUWA I have know clue.

And in regards to SUWA being a benefit or albatross to Colorado Plateau canyoneers that is a line I find canyoneers split straight down the middle on....

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    With a deft dip of the shoulders, he feinted, then moved away from the approaching attacker with the usual grace....

Actually I didn't mean to bail on you. I was just busy with other items at the time.....

I define relevant as providing some greater good, service or benefit to the canyoneering community.

A loose term meaning those that interact with a broad cross section of other canyoneers. Operating and interacting outside of a small inbred cadre. That is my definition, you are free to establish your own.

Outside of Allen's work with SUWA I have know clue.

And in regards to SUWA being a benefit or albatross to Colorado Plateau canyoneers that is a line I find canyoneers split straight down the middle on....
    Shane, I don't care what anyone else in the canyoneering community has to say about you ~ I find you eloquent and just in your responses (when you're not FA and being all macho and/or perverted and/or deleting relevant posts on a personal whim). I have never had any other sense than that you're one of the good guys!

Misguided (read ego-driven) on occasion, but still inherently good. No matter how many folks tell me different. Until further notice (or further realization on my part) this is how I feel about you.

That's all folks...carry on......
    If the shoe fits ~ pretend it doesn

Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post
    [FONT=Verdana]Shane, I don't care what anyone else in the canyoneering community has to say about you
    You mean someone said something bad about me?!?!

Hey.... as long as they are talking about me, good or bad, my ego is happy.... its the day they stop mentioning my name that I'll know I'm no longer relevant to the sport.

Or as my momma always says.... ya got to break a few eggs to make an omelette....

its the day they stop mentioning my name that I'll know I'm no longer relevant to the sport.
    Well, Allen and Turville are still getting mentioned... Therefore... Q.E.D.

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus2000 View Post
    Well, Allen and Turville are still getting mentioned... Therefore... Q.E.D.

I was thinking about that.... canyoneers still talk about Allen when sitting around the campfire.... but rarely do you hear Turville's name mentioned, and when it is mentioned its usually to do with a historical fact and nothing to do with canyoneering in the here and now....

So using that as a measurement I'd say Allen is still relevant but Turville not so much....

My 2 cents... you mileage may vary....

I was thinking about that.... canyoneers still talk about Allen when sitting around the campfire.... but rarely do you hear Turville's name mentioned, and when it is mentioned its usually to do with a historical fact and nothing to do with canyoneering in the here and now....

So using that as a measurement I'd say Allen is still relevant but Turville not so much....

My 2 cents... you mileage may vary....

Now I'm feeling I can't believe I'm back and WE are STILL talking about this! Now the discussion is a comparative between which is MORE relevant? Really? We're going there? Let me add my mileage onto to it, then.

I'm sitting around a campfire (wood stove in rainy BC counts right?). Steve Allen? Can't say; haven't met him. I would very much like to. I hear wonderful things about him. Never around a campfire though. Still, I mentioned him in a relevant way so a point to Steve's tally.

:

Dennis Turville? This counts now. Put it on the D.T. side of the relevant scale.
    Dennis Turville, IMHO, takes great photos and has produced some awesome posters. He (and misc. accomplices) discovered some amazing canyons/gorges that are currently some of the most talked and photographed in Utah. For his own reason, he did not post beta or TR about them. In fact, it is assumed, that he chose not to speak of them. Now, for HIS personal reason(s) he speaks out in a trailer of an upcoming documentay. Lots of talk about that but I can't add up all those points. They should count though, right? Anybody see his historical perspective posted on Stefan's Canyon Tale's site? (I'm not savvy enough to post link. You can find it.) That should score some Relevancy points. I'm sure it was talked about around the campfire by some, if not many. I just did, so score one for D.T. What else? No assumptions, my rules. Delete the last point, playing by my rules. Fire burning to coals here. Let me add more fuel in closing.

Dennis Turville. Dennis Turville. Dennis Turville. Dennis Turville is. Dennis is. Turville is. D.T. is. Not a poster, blogger, is seldom seen, rarely heard from here and there, is mysterious, was incredible passionate about....., may be angry about...., is featured in an upcoming documentary that may/may not be controversial. Dennis Turville. Dennis Turville. Oh, and Dennis Turville. My my rules most of these score points of relevancy.

Surely we can put this petty discussion to rest now? Dennis Turville MUST be relevant or that tree that fell in the forest is just like you and I. YMMV.
    Jenny

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Anybody see his historical perspective posted on Stefan's Canyon Tale's site? (I'm not savvy enough to post link. You can find it.)
    this one?

Quote Originally Posted by trackrunner View Post
    Yes. How'd you do that Trackrunner? Cool.

I'm here again (and a hypocrite therefore). Why am I back? My Gramma, just rolled over in her grave (bless her heart) as I pressed SUBMIT REPLY on my above post. I too, was a school teacher so I have to make corrections on myself and

-Documentary (not documentay)
    -By my rules (not My my rules)
    -He was/is incredibly passionate (not was incredible. Although he may be that as well.)
    -This one made her teeth rattle: you and ME (not you and I)

Thanks everybody for not jumping all over me about the lame tree analogy. That was for Tom's sake.
    Jenny

I know this is an old thread... but did anyone actually get to see this movie? Comments, review?

Anybody know where I can check it out?

it's still not released. last i heard will be this winter, but not sure there is a definite date yet...

FWIW: The original Gorging - The Movie website is gone. but I found the trailer on YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs View Post
    it's still not released. last i heard will be this winter, but not sure there is a definite date yet...
    Oops, my bad. For some reason, I thought this already 'premiered' at the zion film festival in september. At least I didn't miss anything yet. Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by mfshop View Post
    Oops, my bad. For some reason, I thought this already 'premiered' at the zion film festival in september. At least I didn't miss anything yet. Thanks for the info.
    yeah, i think some folks were hoping it would, and advertised it that way. sounds like brian has been doing a lot more filming just recently though. i think the wait will be worth it, looks like it will be pretty damn good, from all i can gather. my guess is it will premier at some sort of winter adventure festival, but that's just my uneducated guess...

He was filming at the ACA rendezvous in September. I got mic'd up for my presentation, but doubt I'll make it into the final cut, I'm not interesting at all.

Work being done on it, very cool stuff recorded (though what makes the final cut is unknown) and very well worth seeing whenever it is completed. I do not know Brian, I merely had the good fortune to share a few canyons & some conversation with a guy who does and shared that info with me, roughly mid-September 2011. I'm eagerly looking forward to it!

Cheers,

Wayne