Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gorging - New Documentary

Gorging - New Documentary

I've got a friend who has created a documentary about the multifaceted nature of canyoneering and its proponents. The director's other work has been great so I imagine the movie will be both aesthetic and fascinating.

Summer 2011 release.

Check out the trailer here:http://www.dfsfilms.com/Gorgingmovie/#/home
    Facebook page here:http://www.facebook.com/GORGINGmovie

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Blog Entries
    I first thought that was Shane in the blue hat being towed in the water....haha

Cool! Be sure to revive this thread in the summer, so I can be sure to get it...

Thanks

BTW, the "canyoneering name was too cute"? hehe. It's sure better than Kloofing....just saying.

The idea of the 4 perspectives in this release is good! It keeps things objective, which is great for understanding sides of the red tape and the sport.

MK - For publishing beta and canyons.
    Dennis Turville - protect the canyons by not sharing
    A guy named Steve - canyoneering is just fun. Doesn't mettle with the politics, per se.
    And our beloved Rich C, - trying to legitimize the sport through the ACA.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

I like the four diverse perspectives.

And who is this Steve guy?

"They coined the term Canyoneering... Which we immediately thought, was just a little too cute"

At least Canyoneering doesn't make you think of some fat chick with a plate of food in front of her!
    -------
    Jeff

"Be who you are, say what you feel.
    Because those that mind don't matter and,
    those that matter don't mind"

~Dr. Suess~

I'm not sure of the exact sequence of events but I believe the term gorging might have been out before canyoneering.... at least when applied to exploring slot canyons.

Turville and his cadre used the term gorging for exploring canyons back in the 70's.

River rafters used the term canyoneering from back in the 50's and 60's, but the rafters term was not for the exploration of slot canyons.

First time I heard the term canyoneering applied to the exploration of slot canyons was probably in the early 90's....

Anyhoo..... just my 2 cents and all the dates above are based on fuzzy memories some of which are over 20 years old.

Fun - I'll have to watch for it when it comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    And who is this Steve guy?
    FWIW: MK told me the fourth guy is just a SoCal hiker who was pulled in at the last minute after someone else bailed on the project.

And anther thought.... is Dennis Turville (or Steve Allen) even relevant to canyoneering anymore? I certainly don't want to subtract anything from what they did in the past, but both are now far removed from the general canyoneering community.

Shane, MK is right, I am an avid outdoorsman from LA. I am a friend of the Gorging Documentary Director, Brian Olliver.

Steve

FWIW: MK told me the fourth guy is just a SoCal hiker who was pulled in at the last minute after someone else bailed on the project.

And anther thought.... is Dennis Turville (or Steve Allen) even relevant to canyoneering anymore? I certainly don't want to subtract anything from what they did in the past, but both are now far removed from the general canyoneering community.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    The idea of the 4 perspectives in this release is good! It keeps things objective, which is great for understanding sides of the red tape and the sport.
    Keeps things objective? Depends on the 4 perspectives viewed. Certainly likely to give the ILLUSION of covering the spectrum.

Tom

I'm not sure of the exact sequence of events but I believe the term gorging might have been out before canyoneering.... at least when applied to exploring slot canyons.

Turville and his cadre used the term gorging for exploring canyons back in the 70's.
    Yes, they used the term "Gorging", then made a pact to NEVER tell anyone what they were doing, then get all grumpy when current canyoneers don't use their terms???????

Twisted.

Tom

And another thought.... is Dennis Turville (or Steve Allen) even relevant to canyoneering anymore? I certainly don't want to subtract anything from what they did in the past, but both are now far removed from the general canyoneering community.
    Steve (Hattrick) is a nice guy from southern California, and, I presume, represents the modern, active, engaged, normal technical canyoneer. I like Steve because he is a regular customer, and his checks clear. And I seem to remember doing a canyon or two with him in the San Gabriels, but then again, we are talking about MY memory.

That MK would state that he is "just a SoCal Hiker..." indicates more about MK than about Steve. Then again, MK might use the term "hiker" for what the rest of us call "technical canyoneer".

Is Michael Kelsey relevant to canyoneering anymore? Yes he writes lots of guidebooks, but it is not like he goes canyoneering with anyone else (with a few exceptions) or provides anything but laughable input on technique, safety or ethics.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by hattrick View Post
    Shane, MK is right, I am an avid outdoorsman from LA. I am a friend of the Gorging Documentary Director, Brian Olliver.
    Welcome to Bogley. Happy to have you aboard.

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    That MK would state that he is "just a SoCal Hiker..." indicates more about MK than about Steve. Then again, MK might use the term "hiker" for what the rest of us call "technical canyoneer".
    I took "just a SoCal Hiker..." to mean he was not someone in the "industry" or "eCanyoneering famous", but instead represented the average guy.... I took nothing negative from the comment.... your mileage may vary....

Is Michael Kelsey relevant to canyoneering anymore? Yes he writes lots of guidebooks, but it is not like he goes canyoneering with anyone else (with a few exceptions) or provides anything but laughable input on technique, safety or ethics.
    My personal though is MK is probably the most relevant (influential, famous, notorious?) person in canyoneering. I don't know of anyone else in the sport that has touched or influenced more people. I don't think I've ever meet a canyoneer that didn't own at least a couple of his books. Everyone else relevant in the sport spends a lot of time undoing MK's ethics. Perhaps MK is second to Aron Ralston, as Aron has now reached outside the sport. But MK still has a bigger impact within the sport (IMHO).

Yes, they used the term "Gorging", then made a pact to NEVER tell anyone what they were doing, then get all grumpy when current canyoneers don't use their terms???????
    I see this several times a year..... I publish a canyoneering route and then someone is mad I didn't use their name for the route because they had been doing it for years in secert. You can be secretive, or you can have your names, routes, styles, canyons and techniques woven into the canyoneering fabric.... but you can't have both.

I've heard from a very reliable source that this "Steve" person is just some actor the filmmakers hired to play the role of Weekend Warrior so the audience would have someone normal to relate to. If you look closely, you can see him in the background in many movies. In fact, I just came across this production still from "Sister Act 2". Recognize anyone?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

T,
    I do hope that YOU are not throwing me beneath the wheels with THEM/THEY! Splat! I (if I'm now on the THEM/THEY team) don't recall EVER feeling or showing my grumpy side when anyone fails to use my outdated terms or not publicized names of canyons. Are you sure that Dennis is "grumpy" for the reasons you suggest? I too, can't wait to see this. Too bad if it results in another division in the "sport"!

Oh and XOXOXOXO
    J

Twisted.

Tom
    Jenny

I don't know him personally but Dennis did come off as "grumpy" in the trailer. After I watched it I thought, "That guy is mad about something"
    The man thong is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by jmack View Post
    I've heard from a very reliable source that this "Steve" person is just some actor the filmmakers hired to play the role of Weekend Warrior so the audience would have someone normal to relate to. If you look closely, you can see him in the background in many movies. In fact, I just came across this production still from "Sister Act 2". Recognize anyone?
    Winner of Noob Of The Month award right there. Real or not, welcome aboard.

Quote Originally Posted by carverbc View Post
    T,
    I do hope that YOU are not throwing me beneath the wheels with THEM/THEY! Splat! I (if I'm now on the THEM/THEY team) don't recall EVER feeling or showing my grumpy side when anyone fails to use my outdated terms or not publicized names of canyons. Are you sure that Dennis is "grumpy" for the reasons you suggest? I too, can't wait to see this. Too bad if it results in another division in the "sport"!

Oh and XOXOXOXO
    J
    Welllllll, I'm not sure anyone would put you in the "Grumpy Ol' Men" group. Me, I'm the fella that would do the diving roll and snatch in front of the bus to save you at the very last moment...

Then again, them Vancouver buses probably stop to allow mice to scurry across pavement, so the danger of getting hit by a bus in Canuckistan are pretty small... even for non-native wood-carvers!

T

Tom, we did do a couple canyons in SoCal. four or so years ago; Great Falls of the Fox and Eaton Cyn. Good Memory!

Steve (Hattrick) is a nice guy from southern California, and, I presume, represents the modern, active, engaged, normal technical canyoneer. I like Steve because he is a regular customer, and his checks clear. And I seem to remember doing a canyon or two with him in the San Gabriels, but then again, we are talking about MY memory.

Tom

That's a funny picture Jeremy! It's nice to be "Normal", although some think I'm not.

Quote Originally Posted by jmack View Post

Canyoneering, four ways
    Jodi Peterson | Nov 11, 2010

Ever wondered what it's like to don harness and wetsuit and delve into one of southern Utah's deep, cold, water-filled slot canyons? A new documentary called Gorging, due out next summer from DFS Films, follows notorious guidebook author Michael Kelsey and three other canyoneers (a photographer, a guru, and a weekend warrior) into the twisting, tortuous narrows.

Through the stories of these four men, all with different approaches and philosophies, the film examines the ethical issues of the sport. It explores the conflict between those, like Kelsey, who want to share their knowledge of these secret and often delicate desert canyons, and others who think they should be protected from the public. Check out the film's entertaining trailer.

http://www.hcn.org/blogs/goat/canyoneering-four-ways

Is this a question you pose? I was about to respond to the question mark at the end. BUT... Oh, I see, you don't want to subtract anything from what "they" did in the past.......BUT...(and...oh I get it..'not a question after all, rather your answer): both are now far removed from the general canyoneering community.
    I love these little expression faces.

I will give you the benefit of my doubt, since I don't know you at all, and offer an answer. Oh YES they are relevant. Or does one have to be a regular forum contributor, current guide or guidebook author or show up at FreezeFest to be counted as "relevant"? What, exactly defines the "general canyon community"?
    Does anybody out there in the "general canyon community" KNOW, for a fact, what either of these fellows is doing? Yes, these are meant as questions. Love to hear back. I don't mean to step on your toes, Iceaxe. Trying to figure out the dance, here.
    Jenny